Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Heat Waves 2021

Re: Heat Waves 2021

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 Mar 2021, 00:09:01

Sydney and other coastal cities in Australia will be too hot to live in within a few decades

heatwaves-sydney-uninhabitable-climate-change-

Too bad.

Australia used to be a very nice place, too.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 07 Mar 2021, 12:18:58

Plantagenet wrote:Sydney and other coastal cities in Australia will be too hot to live in within a few decades

heatwaves-sydney-uninhabitable-climate-change-

Too bad.

Australia used to be a very nice place, too.

Cheers!

Don't worry! The Chinese will mine them for resources and build thermal solar generators all over the place. And they can always live underground, too. Those Chinese really know how to build a tunnel!

The white Aussies can move to Canada and the Abos won't mind the heat.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 08 Mar 2021, 16:46:02

JuanP wrote:
Don't worry! The Chinese will mine them for resources and build thermal solar generators all over the place. And they can always live underground, too. Those Chinese really know how to build a tunnel!

That seems unlikely. The Chinese aren't even building solar generators all over China.

Coal-fired power plants seem to still be in vogue in China.......thats why China has one of the worst air pollution in the world.

A nice day for a motor scooter ride in China......

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 10:09:12

50 Million Under Heat Warning As Extreme Temps, Drought Envelop Western U.S.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/western-us-excessive-heat-drought_n_60c8f5dbe4b0f7e7ccf59d86

I think that CC is now going to start it's full court press of heat waves for many parts of the world, just my hunch, though.

One pattern is that the heatwaves start early, peter out and end strong, no doubt due to the longer warm season as a result of CC.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 00:17:44

jedrider wrote:50 Million Under Heat Warning As Extreme Temps, Drought Envelop Western U.S.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/western-us-excessive-heat-drought_n_60c8f5dbe4b0f7e7ccf59d86

I think that CC is now going to start it's full court press of heat waves for many parts of the world, just my hunch, though.

One pattern is that the heatwaves start early, peter out and end strong, no doubt due to the longer warm season as a result of CC.

I agree 100% with you on this one, jedr.

It really feels like global warming is kicking into a higher gear all around the planet. The huge forest fires are happening just about everywhere now....from Siberia to Oregon to Portugal to Scandinavia.

And what do you know.....we've got a heat wave going on right here in Alaska and I spent part of the afternoon at a local brewery drinking a cold one and watching a huge plume of smoke blasting 30,000 feet straight up into the sky from a huge new local forest fire just getting going about 20 miles north of me.

Whoa! Look at that incredible smoke plume.....and let me try your beer, OK? This double IPA I got is really good.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Azothius » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 12:47:52

Plantagenet wrote:
jedrider wrote:50 Million Under Heat Warning As Extreme Temps, Drought Envelop Western U.S.

I agree 100% with you on this one, jedr.

It really feels like global warming is kicking into a higher gear all around the planet. The huge forest fires are happening just about everywhere now....from Siberia to Oregon to Portugal to Scandinavia.

I, too, have had the same thoughts.

Whoa! Look at that incredible smoke plume.....and let me try your beer, OK? This double IPA I got is really good.

That is so hilariously macabre, the everyday attitude of watching the world go up in flames. An upscale version of "pass the popcorn."
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 14:54:31

hilariously macabre

Good description.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:42:42

Plantagenet wrote:

And what do you know.....we've got a heat wave going on right here in Alaska and I spent part of the afternoon at a local brewery drinking a cold one and watching a huge plume of smoke blasting 30,000 feet straight up into the sky from a huge new local forest fire just getting going about 20 miles north of me.

What a cool picture! It is so beautiful and so scary at the same time. Not a bad view while having a cold one. You have a front row seat to the show there in Alaska. I can't wait for sea level rise to submerge parts of Miami, so I can take pictures kayaking, paddle boarding, canoeing, and packrafting on the submerged parts. It will be so surreal I would hate missing it.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 18 Jun 2021, 16:19:57

"It's so hot in the West this week, it is reaching 100 degrees by 8 am"
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/18/weather/ ... index.html

"The West is in the midst of a record-breaking heat wave this week, as all-time records were shattered and daily records broken in over a dozen states.

Even by desert standards, the heatwave in the Southwest is atypical. On Thursday, the National Weather Service (NWS) in Tucson tweeted that the city recorded a temperature of 100 degrees at 8:14 am -- the second earliest time in the day recorded since 1948.

That's only slightly later than the earliest time recorded for reaching 100 degrees, which was in 2017 on June 20, when Tucson hit 100 degrees at 8:02 am. The high that day was 116 degrees. The all-time high temperature recorded in Phoenix of 122 degrees occurred on June 26, 1990."

I can't even imagine that kind of heat. Miami has only experienced 100 degrees once in its history and that was decades ago, long before I came here in the late 80s.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 25 Jun 2021, 05:52:49

Surface temperatures in Siberia heat up to a mind-boggling 118 degrees -cnet
According to NASA, "Land surface temperature is how hot the 'surface' of the Earth would feel to the touch in a particular location." The Sentinel image shows a peak ground temperature of 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48 degrees Celsius) near Verkhojansk, a small town usually known for its extreme cold temperatures.

Verkhojansk is in the Arctic circle. How there can be so hot so far in the north. This is maddness! 8O
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 27 Jun 2021, 13:08:56

Now we've got a heat wave hitting the Pacific Northwest, producing record high temperatures in cities near the coast like Seattle and Portland.

Its curious how this feels......inevitable.

In the old days record heat was something random. Heat waves were unrpredictable.

But now....it just part of the march of progress toward more global warming.

114 degrees in Portland? Its hotter in Seattle then in Phoenix, AZ?

Ho-hum.

Just wait a few years and it will be hotter. And then hotter still.

Its inevitable.

Global warming is now just another part of the march of progress.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 27 Jun 2021, 17:47:44

Just talked to a buddy in central Washington state. Supposed to he 115 tomorrow.

Jet stream looking pretty tepid.

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tuike » Mon 28 Jun 2021, 04:42:21

Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 02 Jul 2021, 11:43:11

An all-time Canadian heat record of 47.9C (118F) was set in Lytton, British Columbia, on June 28 and two days later the town was destroyed by a wildfire. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6087311
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 02 Jul 2021, 13:16:42

Scientists Call Northwest Heatwave the 'Most Extreme in World Weather Records'
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/07/02/scientists-call-northwest-heatwave-most-extreme-world-weather-records

So, there was this modern day prophet who said we have mere years before some catastrophic event, obviously heat waves and drought and flooding that would be decimating our crops. Let me try to remember, Guy something :shock:
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 02 Jul 2021, 15:48:32

Never hurts to be familiar with all the signs of heat exhaustion:

This Is How You Die In Extreme Heat
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/heat-wave-death_n_60df24ade4b0e01b6b1dd5fd
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 02 Jul 2021, 21:39:07

JD depends upon how you define “catastrophe.”

Definition of catastrophe
1 : a momentous tragic event ranging from extreme misfortune to utter overthrow or ruin

So far only a few hundred people dead, same order of magnitude as a building collapse in Miami.

A full scale Yellowstone eruption would be a catastrophe. A multiyear drought wiping out the Imperial Valley food production forever may be a catastrophe.

Touring the Bahamas we found places where there were farms a with silos and herds of cattle, and orchards and exported produce. All gone now. That was a catastrophe for the Bahamians living on those islands.

All things are relative.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 02 Jul 2021, 21:40:59

Newfie, I spelled in out in clear English: CROP DECIMATION

That's really the only thing that can kill us off. Heat exhaustion is merely a warning.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 03 Jul 2021, 06:44:42

Jed,

OK, and yes.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Jul 2021, 16:40:33

A billion sea creatures were killed by the heat wave and heat dome over the Pacific Northwest a couple of weeks ago

[heat-dome-canada-pacific-northwest-one-billion-sea-animal-deaths

They were cooked in their little shells by the unusually hot temperatures

Ohmigosh....the climate disaster is definitely HERE!!!!

Just imagine one billion little sea creatures all screaming in agony as they die from the heat.....
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate