Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cyclone, Hurricanes, Typhoons - 2021

Cyclone, Hurricanes, Typhoons - 2021

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 06 Jan 2021, 17:09:04

Place your bets, will it be a busy season or a quiet season?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cyclone, Hurricanes, Typhoons - 2021

Unread postby Tuike » Mon 17 May 2021, 16:05:59

Cyclone Tauktae makes landfall in Covid-battered India -bbc
Late on Monday local time, India's meteorological department announced that the "extremely severe cyclonic storm" had begun to make landfall in Gujarat. The process is expected to take several hours. Winds were gusting up to 185km/h, the weather bureau added, and storm surges up to 4m (13ft) high were possible in some coastal districts. Tauktae is expected to be the strongest cyclone to strike the region since 1998 and both Gujarat and its neighbouring state, Maharashtra, are on high alert.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 17 May 2021, 18:16:38

No “bets” for us, it is far to real a threat. We are gonna stay stateside for the season the see what October/November brings.

We have been through a couple of hurricanes here and while not pleasant they are survivable. We have seen what hurricanes do in the islands, no guarantee if survival for our boat unless hauled and strapped down well. Even then the guy next to hou may loose his rig and smash yours.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 28 May 2021, 07:13:32

Cyclone Yaas: Severe storm lashes India and Bangladesh -bbc
Cyclone Yaas, which intensified into a "very severe cyclonic storm", hit the states of West Bengal and Orissa - also known as Odisha - on Wednesday, as well as lashing southern Bangladesh. This is the second cyclone to hit the country in a week, after Cyclone Tauktae killed more than 150 people. It comes as India is already struggling to deal with its Covid-19 outbreak. Yaas lashed coastal areas with ferocious wind and rain as it made landfall in India, damaging homes and bringing waves that swamped towns. More than one million people were evacuated in the country as the storm approached. In its latest update, the India Meteorological Department tweeted that the cyclone had sustained winds of 70-80km/h (43-50mph) and with gusts of up to 90km/h.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 21:04:07

"South China's Guangdong issues 50 weather alerts, cancels nearly 1,000 flights as double typhoons to hit the area"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1229179.shtml

Two for one! What a great deal!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 27 Aug 2021, 12:53:12

Oil heads for biggest weekly gains in over a year ahead of Storm Ida -reuters
U.S. oil and gas companies on Friday raced to complete evacuations from offshore Gulf of Mexico platforms as Tropical Storm Ida, which is expected to strengthen into a major hurricane before slamming into Louisiana early next week, advanced towards oilfields that provide about 17% of the nation's oil production.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 27 Aug 2021, 14:22:45

Hopefully Biden has learned his lesson from his chain of stupid decisions in Afghanistan and won't wait until hurricane Ida hits before ordering the citizens of coastal cities in Louisanna to be evacuated.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 27 Aug 2021, 19:28:39

Plantagenet wrote:Hopefully Biden has learned his lesson from his chain of stupid decisions in Afghanistan and won't wait until hurricane Ida hits before ordering the citizens of coastal cities in Louisanna to be evacuated.

Cheers!

Why must people be TOLD what to do? What happened to all the libertarians on this board? They just want to blame Biden for everything that goes wrong. Just like 'Obama did it' as the refrain for everything that happened. However, Trump is at fault for all of it, I'm certain :-)

Anyway, Ida! Aye, Aye, Ayyyye!
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 27 Aug 2021, 21:27:30

Good question, why must people be told what to do?

It strikes me it is because they can not figure it out for themselves. They turn to the government for direction. And if course there are those in the government who gladly accept this responsibility because it puts more people under their control.

Personally I don’t like it, but I am an outlier, big on personal responsibility.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tuike » Sat 28 Aug 2021, 04:47:00

New Orleans Facing Monster Storm In Countdown to Landfall -yahoo
The city of New Orleans is asking residents to evacuate as soon as possible or prepare to shelter in place Saturday evening, according to a text alert sent late Friday. The storm could damage close to 1 million homes along the U.S. Gulf Coast if it intensifies as forecast, with potential reconstruction costs estimated to exceed $220 billion, according to CoreLogic. Hurricane Ida May Damage Almost 1 Million Homes on U.S. Gulf With gales strong enough to destroy dwellings and knock out power for an extended period, areas that suffer a direct hit could be “uninhabitable for weeks or months,” according to the National Hurricane Center.

“Sunday is the anniversary of Katrina -- it seems like a particularly cruel date for a hurricane landfall in Louisiana,” said Ryan Truchelut, president of Weather Tiger LLC.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mousepad » Sat 28 Aug 2021, 07:56:42

Newfie wrote:Good question, why must people be told what to do?

It strikes me it is because they can not figure it out for themselves. They turn to the government for direction. And if course there are those in the government who gladly accept this responsibility because it puts more people under their control.

Personally I don’t like it, but I am an outlier, big on personal responsibility.

To be fair, on many topics you simply don't have the expertise nor the information to make a decision. You have to rely on experts. And you can't be an expert on all things.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tuike » Mon 30 Aug 2021, 15:53:01

Ida's fury hits US oil production, gasoline supplies -reuters
About 1.72 million barrels per day (bpd) of oil production and 2,087 million cubic feet per day of natural gas output remain shut in the U.S. side of the Gulf of Mexico following evacuations at 288 platforms, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) said on Monday. The closures are equivalent to 95% of the Gulf's crude output and 94% of gas production.

Colonial Pipeline, the largest U.S. fuel pipeline network, halted motor fuel deliveries from Houston to Greensboro, North Carolina. Its lines supply nearly half the gasoline used along the U.S. East Coast and an extended May shutdown led to fuel shortages. A spokesman on Monday did not say when it expects to resume full operations.

The major power utility in Louisiana said it suffered "catastrophic" damage to transmission lines. One tower that provides power to oil and gas processing plants collapsed at the height of the storm. Its power lines fell into the Mississippi River and removing them will slow reopening the nation's largest commercial waterway, officials said.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tuike » Tue 31 Aug 2021, 15:26:06

Tuike wrote:Colonial Pipeline, the largest U.S. fuel pipeline network, halted motor fuel deliveries from Houston to Greensboro, North Carolina. Its lines supply nearly half the gasoline used along the U.S. East Coast and an extended May shutdown led to fuel shortages. A spokesman on Monday did not say when it expects to resume full operations.

Colonial Pipeline resumes operations after shutdown for Hurricane Ida -usatoday
The Colonial Pipeline Co. said Tuesday that it had restored service on two lines running from Houston to Greensboro, North Carolina, that had been taken offline in advance of the storm. The company said service resumed late Monday night.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Aug 2021, 21:34:45

That is good news.

I have not heard a lot abbot how things are in NO.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Sep 2021, 18:00:26

Insured losses to offshore platforms, rigs, and pipelines are estimated to be between $700 million and $1.5 billion, according to industry experts.

That is markedly below $2 billion to $3 billion of insured losses suffered by operators during Hurricane Katrina in 2005 as estimated by the Insurance Information Institute.

RMS says, however, the current numbers underestimates the scale of total damage caused by Ida because insurers have scaled back coverage of offshore assets in the region since Katrina and other major hurricanes such as Ike in 2008.

https://gcaptain.com/offshore-operators ... rim-cover/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 18 Sep 2021, 15:52:52

newfie - Big difference between being recommended/told to evacuate and being forced to leave. I grew up in NOLA and for the most part leaving had nothing to do with KNOWING what to do and WANTING what to do. Forget logic and even common sense: we don't want to leave our homes. Of course not having a specific place to go and a way to get there does play a part. My family had neither the 2 times I found myself wading through waist deep waters. And we were renters and didn't even own the houses. Call us "old school".Foolish old school but old school none the less. LOL

BTW living in Houston I am now an expert on evac procedures. Typically just a 3 hour and a night in a motel. But didn't even have to do that for Harvey since my retirement home is in the highest part of coastal land between Corpus Christie and Mobile. Being a geologist I can read a topo map as well as the Exxon refinery folks across the highway from me. LOL. Being on the east side of Harris Count/Houston and on the high cut bank side of the San Jacinto River all I saw was water up to my curb.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 18 Sep 2021, 20:01:03

ROCKMAN wrote:newfie - Big difference between being recommended/told to evacuate and being forced to leave. I grew up in NOLA and for the most part leaving had nothing to do with KNOWING what to do and WANTING what to do. Forget logic and even common sense: we don't want to leave our homes. Of course not having a specific place to go and a way to get there does play a part. My family had neither the 2 times I found myself wading through waist deep waters. And we were renters and didn't even own the houses. Call us "old school".Foolish old school but old school none the less. LOL

BTW living in Houston I am now an expert on evac procedures. Typically just a 3 hour and a night in a motel. But didn't even have to do that for Harvey since my retirement home is in the highest part of coastal land between Corpus Christie and Mobile. Being a geologist I can read a topo map as well as the Exxon refinery folks across the highway from me. LOL. Being on the east side of Harris Count/Houston and on the high cut bank side of the San Jacinto River all I saw was water up to my curb.

So do you see yourself as an early climate refugee?....fleeing to higher ground to avoid bigger storms and bigger floods coming as the planet warms?

I sold a beautiful log house I owned here in Alaska quite a few years ago because I realized the permafrost under the house was thawing and the ground was shifting and the house was settling. That house is now uninhabitable with the roof popping off as the foundation shifts and bends the house downward on one side.

I didn't know it the time but I am a climate change refugee. I HAD to sell to escape the thawing permafrost caused by global warming.

How about it, ROCKMAN....Are you climate change refugee too?

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 15:27:46

No. I actually worry more about the weather then the climate. Too freaking old. LOL. Moved to Houston for work...not enough future in NOLA for a geologist. Bought my retirement home while still working so had to stay local. So despite being very close the coast (and the chopper pads) knew where the high ground and small town life (also why Baytown developed here) was just 30 miles from the office in Houston. But also just 2 miles from the largest/best medical facility in Texas after the Houston medical complex (largest in the world). Handy with all my medical problems. LOL.

As I said picked a spot on the west cut bank (IE high side) of the San Jacinto River. Just as Exxon decided decades ago for the largest refinery in the western hemisphere at that time. High ground but good access to very large tanker traffic.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tuike » Thu 28 Oct 2021, 04:24:02

Southern Italy braced for rare Mediterranean hurricane -guardian
“Sicily is tropicalising and the upcoming Medicane is perhaps the first of this entity, but it certainly won’t be the last,” said Christian Mulder, a professor of ecology and climate emergency at the University of Catania. “We are used to thinking that this type of hurricane and cyclone begins in the oceans and not in a closed basin like the Mediterranean. But this is not the case.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 28 Oct 2021, 07:05:04

Tuike wrote:Southern Italy braced for rare Mediterranean hurricane -guardian
“Sicily is tropicalising and the upcoming Medicane is perhaps the first of this entity, but it certainly won’t be the last,” said Christian Mulder, a professor of ecology and climate emergency at the University of Catania. “We are used to thinking that this type of hurricane and cyclone begins in the oceans and not in a closed basin like the Mediterranean. But this is not the case.

Something similar happened in the South Atlantic, off the coast of Brazil, a few years ago. I remember reading about it and watching the satellite imagery. It was the first ever documented hurricane in the Americas South of the Equator. An indisputable perfectly formed storm system with hurricane force winds, an eye, arms, and a circular air flow pattern.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate