Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 20

310,000 in NYC & World: Climate Action Now!

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 22:46:38

More Than 310,000 People Descend On New York To March For Climate Action

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/0 ... ate-march/

“My expectation is that we will set the scene for Paris next year,” George Ferguson, mayor of Bristol in the United Kingdom, told ThinkProgress. Ferguson came to the U.S. to attend the march and facilitate climate action at the local level. “If we can show a level of determination and unity at this time it will promise well for real movement next year.”

Ferguson said that mayors and city leaders are much closer to the solutions for climate change as well as the results of climate change. He said Bristol is a coastal city that has experienced heavy flooding recently “and that can only get more severe — but it’s nowhere near what we’ve seen on other continents.”
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: 310,000 in NYC & World: Climate Action Now!

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:08:28

The chances of new binding UN climate treaty coming out of this UN meeting in New York are nil and zero.

The negotiations in Bali in 2007 produced a new binding UN climate treaty to replace the Kyoto treaty, and the world's leaders went to Copenhagen to sign the new UN climate treaty in 2009, but unfortunately Obama got into a dumb personal quarrel with the Chinese leader there and the resultant quarrel derailed the whole climate treaty process in Copenhagen. The UN treaty process is now so far off the tracks that I doubt we'll ever see a meaningful and binding post-Kyoto UN climate treaty ratified. Certainly there is no hope of moving towards a binding post-Kyoto UN Treaty until after Obama leaves office.

Obama's insulting treatment of China's leader at the 2009 Copenhagen meeting derailed the UN treaty process and blocked the signing of a post-Kyoto UN climate change treaty there.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:10:44

Thanks for the encouraging words, ! :lol: :P :cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:42:10

Its just how it is.

They're not even trying for a binding UN climate treaty any more. The best we can hope for from the New York meeting is that they'll come up guidelines and suggestions on CO2 reduction that countries can sign up for, but then freely withdraw from or break without penalty. 8)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 07:46:05

Isn't all that all the more reason to put more and more pressure on all parties involved?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby GHung » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 07:57:37

Rockefellers to switch investments to 'clean energy'

Heirs to the Rockefeller family, which made its vast fortune from oil, are to sell investments in fossil fuels and reinvest in clean energy, reports say.

The Rockefeller Brothers Fund is joining a coalition of philanthropists pledging to rid themselves of more than $50 bn (£31 bn) in fossil fuel assets.

The announcement will be made on Monday, a day before the UN climate change summit opens on Tuesday.

Some 650 individuals and 180 institutions have joined the coalition.

It is part of a growing global initiative called Global Divest-Invest, which began on university campuses several years ago, the New York Times reports....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29310475
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 08:46:19

thanks Dohboi for posting this event as it was a day when all around the world so many people voiced their complaints and aspirations of action to try and steer the world on a better course. I for one continue pessimistic however it is encouraging to see so many people engaged. As for that personal feud between leaders of US and China
well that is just a pretext or excuse as to date both US and China continue emitting vast amounts of CO2 into atmosphere.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 08:49:35

Oh forgot to mention on the MSM I did not hear any mention of the March ! How typical :?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 09:23:29

Ghung - Good post...heard about it on NPR this morning. Rather fitting. Assuming the folks who are running the fund understand PO they know this is a great time to monetize the profits they made from those fossil fuel holdings. And by understanding PO they would also know that the dependence upon fossil fuels the country developed with the help of their ancestors has the potential to continue the energy related profits as alternatives to those sources must be developed. IOW still making nice profits as a result of hydrocarbon based economies.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 09:33:02

dohboi - I always value your opinion. If you read my analogy of the war on tobacco compared to the war on AGW what do you think: do my thoughts hold water?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 11:01:17

onlooker wrote:Oh forgot to mention on the MSM I did not hear any mention of the March ! How typical :?

okay after the events the Media did take notice but then again I could they not! Just in NYC 400,000. Well at least we got the attention of the TPTB, now will they act accordingly?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 11:03:58

oh here is the link to for those who wish to peruse the coverage. Oh and "how could they not"
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby joewp » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 15:52:59

Big deal. The only result of this march is the NSA just got 400,000 faces for the names they already knew of these potential climate terrorists.

Eventually there will be "accidental" gunshots from the para-military "police", and a few dead protesters.

No more climate demonstrations!

I'm not cynical, just experienced. :cry:
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 17:21:05

Ha, well though I forgot to provide link to widespread coverage (had other things on mind), it looks like my initial assessment may have proven correct. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/2 ... 60502.html
that is link that shows that at least on TV little or no coverage. Oh well
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 22 Sep 2014, 21:50:36

A reporter asked RFK Jr. if he would give up his cell phone or his car to stop global warming. RFK jr., one of the leaders of the massive demonstration in NYC, got angry and insisted he wouldn't give anything up to reduce his personal carbon footprint.

Wealthy RFK jr. won't give up his car, his cellphone, or anything else to fight global warming

Of course thats the problem with the Al Gore and RFK jr. and most of the other leaders of the fight against global warming. They are mostly white and very rich and very privileged and they fly in private jets and live in mansions and drive big cars, while simultaneously telling people much poorer then they are that they all have to reduce their carbon output.

Why are all the leaders of the anti global change movement wealthy hypocrites like Al Gore and RFK jr.?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 23 Sep 2014, 01:14:57

Plantagenet wrote:Why are all the leaders of the anti global change movement wealthy hypocrites like Al Gore and RFK jr.?

I watched the video. Here's a direct quote from RFK Jr.:

I'm not going to stop using a cellphone, I don't believe that we have to reduce our quality of life in order to have a rational free market, in order to stop the use of carbon, or to divorce ourselves from a fuel that is destroying our planet.

What we need to do is change the laws. It's much more important to change your politician than to change your cell phone or your lightbulb or your automobile.

Ok, do you guys see what I have been talking about?

How many of those 300,000 in that march have any more of a logical rational view on it than the organizer does, RFK Jr?

Just like Al Gore, RFK Jr firmly believes we can somehow "stop the use of carbon" WITHOUT anybody reducing their quality of life. Green exponential growth! Green capitalism! Let's go to Whole Foods and then hit Starburcks and feel so Green! :roll:

And then, it gets better, he says it doesn't matter what kind of car he wants to drive or about his cell phone or what kind of light bulb he has, he says it's "just the laws that need changed" and none of these other kinds of choices consumers make, would make a difference.

Pass the toke over here, man, yeah "it's just those laws that need changed." Give me a daisy placard to wave in the march, one toke over the line sweet Jesus, Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And another thing, what about the 500 busloads it took to bring people to the march and what about all the reported litter, beer cans and plastic cups and trash left all over. :?:

None of these people are "green," seems to me, it's just "cool."
Last edited by Sixstrings on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 01:32:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 23 Sep 2014, 01:28:16

'Are you concerned about the damage that the cell phone and electricity generation causes to the environment?'

He exclaimed: 'Are you joking about this!'

'No, I want to know if you're willing to give up your iPhone,' she asks.

'No.'

'Why not? Doesn't it start with people like you?'

'No.'

:lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 23 Sep 2014, 02:27:11

Yes, people in the rich countries get uncomfortable :? , when fighting Climate Change involves their quality or standard of life. Well guess what we are beyond that because at the rate CC is occurring sometime in this century we will be lucky if we have any life , not just a particular quality of life. In the end are we willing to sacrifice for the sake of future generations or are we willing to fight for future generations. If you cannot even give up your pampered , convenient and comfortable life then the answer is a resounding NO.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:12:04

Onlooker, if Gore or others did ever sacrifice anything, these same trolls would be howling and screaming about how Gore and the greenies want to take us all back to caves.

It's not about rational discussion on their side. It's about tearing down individuals who have ever spoken anything that they have found to be threatening. If you do that, and you do it with any kind of effectiveness, they will hound you the rest of your life, no matter what you do or don't do.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 Sep 2014, 18:39:56

Haha, that is right Dohboi, certain people on this planet are beyond delusional or beyond wishful thinking. It truly is striking how certain humans cannot or will not at this late stage grasp the immense hole we the human species have dug ourselves in. As much as the future is disconcerting even more so are the humans who refuse to see the truth though it may be so plain to see
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate