Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Planet Mars

Planet Mars

Unread postby Chinalurker » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 11:24:41

It's more important that we colonize other planets in our solar system and beyond, than that a majority of our present world population survives PO.
Intention + Mechanism = Result
What is Your... Intention?
Chinalurker
Wood
Wood

Re: Tough priority

Unread postby stu » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 11:43:28

Chinalurker wrote:It's more important that we colonize other planets in our solar system and beyond, than that a majority of our present world population survives PO.

:? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course. You're so right. :roll:

Here i am worried about whether I should be moving to rural areas when all the time I should have been thinking about migrating to Uranus. :roll:
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Cuckoo

Unread postby gary_malcolm » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 11:46:13

Neat,

Let's go to Mars! I'll pack the sun screen.

Gary
Gary Malcolm

US Empire

There is no alternative source for our gluttony. Power down or die.
gary_malcolm
Lignite
Lignite

Focus

Unread postby Chinalurker » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 11:51:22

It's not about You or Me. It's about Us.
Chinalurker
Wood
Wood

Unread postby TyeDye » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 11:59:30

I kinda see your point but at the moment the space programme is dependant on oil too, Im aware of suggestions for alternative methods of space travell but they could take years to develop.
TyeDye
Wood
Wood

Unread postby stu » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 12:07:16

But seriously though Chinalurker.

I can understand your utopian ideals but don't you think we should sort this planet out first before packing up for those trips to Jupiter.
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Mower » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 12:37:06

MarkL wrote:human existance will be as a geological fart in the wind.

PO will ensure that regardless soon enough.
Mower
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gnm » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 13:02:16

Well, you could argue that making the attempt at colonization of space would at least be helpful in developing new technologies to deal with the problems associated. As well as real world experience in dealing with how to make it work.

I'm all for it, when do we start?

:lol:
gnm

Unread postby UncoveringTruths » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 13:07:13

Houston we have a problem! No Air to breathe! :)

Seriously though we would probably be better off at this point in scraping the Space Programs.
UncoveringTruths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Chicagoan » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 17:35:49

I wish we could go and colonize space, but it just is not possible. It takes too much energy to get there. It was a good idea back in the 1950s when the oil supply was increasing every year and it seemed like it would never run out. People assumed we would have fusion ingines by now so the amount of oil left would be a non-issue. It has not worked out that way. And space is incredable hostile to life. It would make more sense to colonize Antarctica. I hate to admit it, but UncoveringTruths is right.
Chicagoan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Theo » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 20:07:07

MarkL wrote:In a few hundred years(or less!) with current population levels, we will have peak coal and peak uranium and peak climate and etc.. If we haven't found a way to get off of this tiny rock by then, human existance will be as a geological fart in the wind.

That's a pretty broad sweeping generalization MarkL. We have no idea what the future holds. We don't really have a clue what's going to happen in the next couple of years let alone the next few hundred years. I say scrap the space program. We haven't even mastered our own atmosphere yet. The cost and risk of getting to space and back are too high. We'll need that money for other things soon enough, with or without PO (see Social Security/Medicare).
Theo
Peat
Peat

Why..?

Unread postby Chinalurker » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 21:17:26

1.) Because we are too fragile on earth. Earth is not a long term solution.
2.) Our development possibilities, understanding range and original meaning cannot be fulfilled on Earth.
Chinalurker
Wood
Wood

Re: Why..?

Unread postby Theo » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 21:25:20

Chinalurker wrote:1.) Because we are too fragile on earth. Earth is not a long term solution.
2.) Our development possibilities, understanding range and original meaning cannot be fulfilled on Earth.

1) Are we going to be less fragile on some rock other than Earth?
2) Perhaps the fact that our development possibilities cannot be fulfilled on Earth is a good thing.
Theo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kambei » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 21:53:57

It's pretty unlikely I'm afraid. It's just about technically possible in theory without peak oil, but with peak oil, I'm beginning to think it's a fantasy.

We can just barely afford to go into space now, but how will we do it in say 20 years, with a peak oil induced devastated economy? The technology we'd need to colonise another planet would have to be extremely advanced and advanced technology costs a hell of a lot. I doubt 10 years post peak we'll even be able to afford space probes. 5 years post peak, maybe the shuttle will be consigned to the history books too.

Bush's pledge of going to the Moon and Mars is going to fall flat on it's face. We'll never again visit the moon, and a manned Mars mission is just nonsense. It's a shame :(
A king can't swagger, nor drink like a beggar,
Nor be half so happy as I.
kambei
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Sencha » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 22:07:20

WTF is the point in colonizing space?

So we can have peak whatever on another planet?

I don't get why people are so convinced the human race should continue on. Why should we pick up and leave, to settle down on another planet that we'll just trash and screw over like Earth.

It would be so much easier to go the way of the dinosaurs. Make room for a species that actually does something constructive. Humans suck.
Vision without action is a dream, action without vision is a nightmare.
Sencha
Lignite
Lignite

How..?

Unread postby Chinalurker » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 22:13:10

Obstacles are many. We solve them one by one.
Chinalurker
Wood
Wood

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 00:24:11

Beam me up, Scotty! Sometimes I can't believe how surreal this all is.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Questions & Answers

Unread postby Chinalurker » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 00:42:13

Why should humans continue on..?

Because we are the only ones qualified.

What is the point of space colonization..?

Refer to my answer with the headline "Why..?"

Too difficult..!

It's difficult for one individual to send out the whole world population in space... But it's not so difficult for the world population to send out a few people.

Too dependant on oil..!

We have enough. Also invention/creativity are important aspects.

Sort out the problems on earth first..!

There will always be problems.

When do we start..?

Already started.

No air to breathe..!

Houston replies: So just solve it! No option. No excuse.

Takes too much energy to get there..!

Doesn't have to. We're using too much energy for everything. We just need to change.

Space is incredible hostile to life..!

Yes. Get used to it. Solve it.

Costs are too high, we'll need the money for other things, social security etc..!

I'm talking about social security for the future too you know.

Are we going to be less fragile on some rock other than earth..?

In total. Yes.

Perhaps the fact that our development possibilities cannot be fulfilled on earth is a good thing..?

Well, perhaps not. Did we develop all these million years to just die and lose everything? Talk about waste.

Don't be afraid of the enormous obstacles. They can all be turned into tiny bitty pieces.

Don't be afraid of taking responsibility for our future. It is the right thing and You know it.
Chinalurker
Wood
Wood

Unread postby somethingtosay » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 02:13:57

Chinalurker is better informed than most as Albert Einstien once stated, Mankind has one chance to leave this planet - and that chance is all but gone. Maybe a million years from now mankind will achieve that goal.

When Bush announced the Mars mission, I thought, Bush is planning to retire on Mars as an escape from the mess he made on earth.
Welcome to the second foundation.
somethingtosay
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gg3 » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 06:43:00

Then why not also discontinue all basic scientific and technical research? Why not just go back to the caves right now, and get it over with?

What we see here is the real reason that my beloved country is in such deep doodoo, and China is the future.

We Americans have become spoiled, and upon seeing the end of our spoiled lifestyle, we become clinically depressed. China has stayed industrious, hasn't gotten spoiled, and faces the future with sleeves rolled up and eyes wide open.

While our NIMBYs are fighting off *wind farms* because they don't want their precious *oceanfront views* spoiled, and we haven't built a nuclear reactor in God-knows-how-long, China is about to go global with the Pebble Bed Modular Reactor. Along with South Africa, a country whose people really know the value of freedom because they obtained it within their own lifetimes (see also Baylis and the hand-crank powered radios & flashlights).

Our biggest export to the world is trashy entertainment; China is the world's industrial superpower. We make Mickey Mouse; China makes everything from automobiles to zippers, including most of the stuff you have in your house that has an electric plug at the end of it, and now including IBM desktop & notebook computers.

Now before the comparison gets any more embarrassing for us, let's see a few other USAers here stand up for progress!

And, Chinalurker, thanks for giving us such a rousing wake-up call.

It is a good thing to have another nation give us sane and rational competition in the areas we have become complacent in. I look forward to a future where perhaps some day, your taikonauts and our astronauts will shake hands on the Moon, and again on Mars.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate