Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

FDA Bans 19 Chemicals Used In Antibacterial Soaps

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 02 Sep 2016, 14:21:18

Consumers don't need to use antibacterial soaps, and some of them may even be dangerous, the Food and Drug Administration says.

On Friday, the FDA issued a rule banning the use of triclosan, triclocarban and 17 other chemicals in hand and body washes. which are marketed as being more effective than simple soap.

The FDA issued a proposed rule in 2013 that required companies to provide data on products' safety and effectiveness.
For these ingredients, either no additional data were submitted or the data and information that were submitted were not sufficient for the agency to find that these ingredients are Generally Recognized as Safe and Effective.

Companies have a year to take these ingredients out of their products or remove the products from the market, the agency said.

"If the product makes antibacterial claims, chances are pretty good that it contains one of these ingredients," Theresa Michele, director of the FDA's Division of Nonprescription Drug Products, said Friday in a conference call with reporters.

There is some evidence that triclosan, triclocarban and the other chemicals can disrupt hormone cycles and cause muscle weakness, says Mae Wu, a senior attorney at the Natural Resources Defense Council, which originally asked the FDA to ban the ingredients.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: FDA Bans 19 Chemicals Used In Antibacterial Soaps

Unread postby GHung » Fri 02 Sep 2016, 14:35:23

We need bacteria more than bacteria need us.

I banned antibacterial soaps at my place from day one. Not a good thing for septic systems.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jupiters_release » Sat 03 Sep 2016, 00:24:25

Only use Dr. Bronners for dish soap now.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jjhman » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 20:03:13

So according to this article:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/it- ... mark-bill/

There are about 80,000 chemicals registered with the EPA and an additional 2,000 added each year.

How well do you suppose all of the effects on the biosphere of all of these chemicals is, or ever will be, understood? When something really stupid and disgusting is discovered the EPA or the USDA or the CIA( ?) give the company something like 5 or 10 years to replace that chemical with, no doubt, some other chemical that they haven't figured out yet.

We are f'ed.
jjhman
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 20:14:58

jjhman wrote:So according to this article:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/it- ... mark-bill/

There are about 80,000 chemicals registered with the EPA and an additional 2,000 added each year.

How well do you suppose all of the effects on the biosphere of all of these chemicals is, or ever will be, understood? When something really stupid and disgusting is discovered the EPA or the USDA or the CIA( ?) give the company something like 5 or 10 years to replace that chemical with, no doubt, some other chemical that they haven't figured out yet.

We are f'ed.

The really ugly thing is all the wild combinations that random chemicals create in sewer systems and other places.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate