Massive Insect "Die Off" in Europe

Massive Insect "Die Off" in Europe

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 22:58:53

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC1604/S ... onment.htm

Insect Losses Symptomatic of Ailing Environment

Monday, 4 April 2016, 3:10 pm
Press Release: CORANZ
Insect Losses Symptomatic of Ailing Environment

Insect and other wildlife population declines are evidence of an ailing environment and struggling ecosystem says the Council of Outdoor Recreation Associations, (CORANZ).

CORANZ co-chairman Bill Benfield of Martinborough said the disappearance of a number of insects was a strong and urgent warning that chemicals used in widely varying forms were crippling the ecosystem to which humans unavoidably were part of.He said approvals were often granted by authorities like the Environmental Protection Authority with little more than a cursory glance......
=>
http://www.davisvanguard.org/2016/03/li ... xtinction/

So mankind gobbled in a century all the world’s resources that had taken millions of years to store up, and no one on the top gave a damn or listened to all the voices that were trying to warn them, they just let us overproduce and overconsume until now the oil is gone, the topsoil depleted and washed away, the trees chopped down, the animals extinct, the earth poisoned, and all we have to show for this is seven billion people fighting over the scraps that are left, living a miserable existence—and still breeding without control. So I say the time has come to stand up and be counted. But doing something means that people must change, make an effort, use their minds, which is what most people do not like to do.”
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Massive Insect "Die Off" in Europe

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 19 Apr 2016, 04:14:56

Even as the 6th Mass extinction continues more and more it looks like we may be another victim. Fitting as we have caused it.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Tue 19 Apr 2016, 18:24:52

My beautiful forest that I once lived in is turning into Mirkwood.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Tue 19 Apr 2016, 22:51:15

Even insects can't survive the chemical pollution being spewed into the environment. No wonder there are so many cancer deaths.

I wonder why this chemical pollution is not covered by the MSM. One would think that everything is squeaky clean these days. And that it was in the bad old days when everything was dirty.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 02:11:45

Calm down MBS. It's far too late. Make the best of what time is left.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 09:49:17

Here are the results of a typical night here at Totumas when the entomologists are visiting. No artificial lights in this valley, no chemicals, no humans except us. We are off the grid and border 600,000 hectares of a highland national park.

This was Europe a few generations ago.

Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 11:29:22

Do they just like to land on that sheet, or is there sticky stuff on it?

I heard once that the most biological diversity most people see in their lives is the range of smashed bugs on their windshields!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ritter » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:38:51

dohboi wrote:Do they just like to land on that sheet, or is there sticky stuff on it?

I heard once that the most biological diversity most people see in their lives is the range of smashed bugs on their windshields!

I believe you put that light that is on the chair in between the sheets at night. Like moths to a flame! :)
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:40:33

Nice. But do they stay there because they fall asleep there, or they like it, or is it made sticky somehow? Not a big deal, just wondering.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 13:52:31

From a purely anecdotal standpoint - most of the places I have lived in the past 10 years (Alaska, Washington, & Louisiana primarily) seem to show no obvious impact to the insect population. I still get bitten, buzzed, and bothered just as much as I seem to remember from 40 years ago.
Maybe these are the ones tough enough to drink DDT for a milkshake, making a comeback. The hardy survivors.
Or maybe it is only the beneficial, non-bothersome bugs that are in trouble. I admit, I don't notice them very much. Although why the pollution and pesticide residue would only bother the good bugs escapes me.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 16:05:41

dohboi wrote:Do they just like to land on that sheet, or is there sticky stuff on it?

Mercury vapor lamp high in UV light attracts the insects. They settle on the sheet and as the evening cools they get into a torper state and wait until the sun warms them up before they fly off. Here in the mornings about 15 species of birds come in the mornings and they feed on a cornucopia of moths before they warm up enough to fly off. It is a spectacle enjoyed by many of our guests. Moths and many beetles navigate and orient themselves by the moon and stars and artificial lights throw off their orientation which is why moths will sometimes circle candle flames and perish.

There have been studies that artificial light pollution in major urban areas has had a significant impact on the local populations of nocturnal insects. Here at Totumas we have these lights up in one single location no more than 30 nights a year. Compare that to a metropolitan area with thousands of lights are up every night. Sodium vapor lights these days in most cities are actually low in UV light output and do not attract that many insects so they are not that bad.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 16:59:40

No shortage of flies here where I live - and like all of Denmark its heavily cultivated and sprayed. But then we also have a little under 30 mio pigs living here (not counting the two legged ones).
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 17:20:17

Peak_Yeast wrote:No shortage of flies here where I live - and like all of Denmark its heavily cultivated and sprayed. But then we also have a little under 30 mio pigs living here (not counting the two legged ones).

Flies, turkey vultures, rats, cockroaches, house sparrows, starlings, dogs, cats, pigs, dandelions, bermuda grass have all benefited from human overshoot.

Europe suffers from over use of chemicals and then not leaving enough patches of native habitat. Every butterfly that flies around is a larvae first that needs patches of wild native vegetation to subsist from. Europe has removed much of their native vegetation. There are vitally important small patches of native vegetation preserved in many places. Eastern europe is less manicured and still has small refuges of habitat. These are the vital refuge patches that are the nurseries out of which native habitat will one day recolonize habitat when humans recede. plants and insects will migrate from Poland to the UK in just a few short decades once humans are gone. Butterflies will lay their eggs on weeds growing out of the cracks of old foundations. The few human eyes remaining to see them will be wiser?
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Thu 21 Apr 2016, 10:44:07

@Ibon: My experience here in Denmark is that if you want to see butterflies - the best places are in the areas with a lot of Villas.

I live next to a small forest preserve - and we dont have many butterflies. But massive amounts of flies.

But I completely agree that Europe has chopped up, poisoned and killed until there is hardly 1% left of wild nature..

Even today the MSN said "Scientists says Biodiversity is not a boon for humans" - refering to Denmarks nature... What the F??? We just cant get enough - the less than 1% free nature is obviously starving our poor society out of sorely needed resources....

Can it get much more demeted than that?
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 15 Sep 2016, 08:27:02

Mass extinction event under way!

Insect Biomass in Germany - 80%

https://greenpeace-magazin.de/nachricht ... -im-westen

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/insect_num ... ters/3012/

06 JUL 2016: REPORT
Vanishing Act: Why Insects Are
Declining and Why It Matters

Insect populations are declining dramatically in many parts of the world, recent studies show. Researchers say various factors, from monoculture farming to habitat loss, are to blame for the plight of insects, which are essential to agriculture and ecosystems....
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 08:50:18

"Ewwww ... a bug!" is the reaction many people have when they feel an insect's six legs crawling on them. This revulsion is lamentable, for not only are the vast majority of insects completely harmless, we humans and most other complex life on the planet would be in dire shape without them.

"If insects were to disappear, the world would fall apart — there's no two ways about it," said Goggy Davidowitz, a professor in the departments of entomology and ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Arizona.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby M_B_S » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 10:05:53

@onlooker

Telling the truth is allways brutal to modern sheeple.

They want to live in this nice dreaming i-pod world with endless ressources and supply but the wake up will be so brutal that nobody wants to wake up.

When i was a young boy some 40 years ago i played with butterflys, ants, bugs, spiders and bees in my grandpas garden. My grandchildren if i get some will see ants bees and bugs maybe in books but not in anybodys garden.

Today i searched our garden and found some flies and bugs but i have to search ...... :!: 8O

A Mass Extinction Event

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 10:53:39

Yes MBS the truth at this point is nothing less than shocking. They're is a courage to be a hard core doomer that few who are not understand. We are also in my opinion more intellectually honest than non doom folk at this current time on Earth
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 12:00:35

In my wandering a I often think how strange it is we see so few bugs.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ritter » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 13:28:49

Newfie wrote:In my wandering a I often think how strange it is we see so few bugs.

Until you think of how much toxic shit we've spewed everywhere. We've destroyed our soils and spread pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and plastics across the entire globe. Our stupidity and shortsightedness would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic. Ritter's happy thought of the day. :(
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate