Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gas is high priced, so why are we still speeding?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Unread postby C8 » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 13:09:19

RACING TO THE RED LIGHT
…or…why are we still speeding?

I have rediscovered something recently- and its depressing: commuting. Having endured a forced march to the suburbs this summer for the glory of my wife’s Barbie dream house I now find I must spend 12 minutes in traffic each day (hey, it used to be one minute!)- thus my re-acquaintance with that most uncivil of America’s social theaters: the freeway.

But it is not the sheer terror and madness of going 65-75 mph in a collapsible box that amazes me so much as it is the complete lack of the effect of high gas prices on driving behavior. It is a well publicized fact that driving slower saves a considerable amount of gas- the public can hardly feign innocence of this. Studies show that driving at 55 mph versus 75 mph can save up to 23% of fuel depending on the vehicle.

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

This is a considerable amount of money. In fact, the effect of speeding can be figured the opposite way; how much more does a gallon costs due to flooring it. Using our previous figure of 23% that notches a $4 gallon of gas up to $5.21! The high price has also not affected our other wasteful habit- jackrabbit fast starts and fast stops. To top it off, politicians are actually raising speed limits. We are a whole nation racing to the red light.

All this has me wondering what our priorities really are. If high oil prices really lead to economic downturn then we must not really care about discretionary spending, or jobs, that much- at least not enough to stop trying to get to work a whole 85 seconds faster each day. And whatever happened to hypermiling? During the first price shock of 2008, stories abounded of people who had perfected a gas chiseling driving style that boasted savings of up to 40% by methods such as gradual acceleration, drafting closely behind trucks, etc.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-tr ... iling.aspx

Today these stories are largely gone, no perky young girls telling America to “pump it up” and save on tighter tires. Why? Well, I have some theories:

1. Acclimation: humans are great at getting used to things- too great in fact. High priced gas has been around so long it has lost its novelty and so temporary money saving behaviors must fade also. But don’t we love to save money? This isn’t satisfying. Let’s try another theory.

2. Accommodation: we have decided to make driving sacrifices in other areas (smaller cars, fewer trips) so we give ourselves back the luxury of wasteful driving habits. I like this theory better- but why not save even more and drive slowly? This theory will not do: we must move on.

3. Class differences: the rich are getting richer, right? So maybe driving is relatively cheaper for them than 2008. I have to admit I see a lot of men in black monster pick-ups in the burbs going pretty fast and these people seem to be able to afford it (and for some reason, the trucks must be black). But MOST of us on the roads still can’t afford it. And its most of us that I still see driving crazy out there. No, there must be a better explanation.

4. Long commutes: too much time is spent going from work to home. People simply must go fast or they will lose out on their lives. America is big! The problem with this is that people seem to go pretty fast on short trips too, and they still engage in jackrabbit driving in traffic when the amount of time gained is miniscule. Plus, people seem to waste a lot of time doing other stupid things. Why each minute you spend reading Peak Oil.com is taking away from driving more slowly and economically (unless you are really smart and are reading this while driving). No, this will not do.

5. Social pressure: we speed because others do around us, its dangerous to go too slow- could cause accidents as faster vehicles have to go around us. I like this theory better, social norms are powerful. But there are a few problems: why is this the norm to begin with? Why doesn’t it change (other norms have changed- think women’s lib)? And most puzzling: why do we drive fast even when driving alone on the road?

6. Adrenaline addiction: we speed because this produces a fear rush of adrenaline (due to increased accident possibility) that has been shown to be addictive in gamblers, etc. Here I think we may have something- speeding is somewhat compulsive and it helps explain another reason….

7. We’re impatient and bored: Driving is boring, waiting is boring (for many), we are socialized to want everything now- get it over with, rush, rush. Tie 6 and 7 together and we have an impatient nation that desires energy independence!!!! (but not if it means coming to work five minutes later)

I am still a hypermiler. I love timing traffic lights, gliding into turns, using gravity to brake with- there is a beauty to it all. But it exasperates some around me who zoom around and, well, race to a red light. Most of all, I love not being stressed out about speed and accidents. But for 10 minutes each day I am on a freeway- and there are slowness limits that cannot be passed without increasing the odds of accidents due to vehicles getting around me- so I don't go too slow. Trapped like a bird in a tornado I burn through the world’s oil supply and my wallet at warp speeds. Why? The norm here, like many places, is to drive 10mph above the limit- whatever that is. So I am going slow just by doing the speed limit (which is too high).

And economists call man a rational animal.

Meanwhile, my legislature is raising the speed limit.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Gas is high priced, so why are we still speeding?

Unread postby Beery1 » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 16:25:11

Because we're the dumbass species - Homo Bardus.

On the other hand, there are a few of us who don't own anything that burns gasoline, so some of us are at least not quite so stupid. I've never owned a car - I drive a bicycle. Hard to speed on a bicycle, although I have done it accidentally on occasion.

By the way, you don't 'have' to take the freeway. There are probably surface roads that you can use to get your optimal mileage per gallon. And if your commute is only 12 minutes in a car, it's probably only about 30 minutes on a bike.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 18:06:08

Gas being more expense than it used to be is not the same as gas being high priced. Even at $4 a gallon, its usage in typical vehicles isn't even the majority of cost/mile.

Gas was extremely cheap.
Gas is now just very cheap.

Get back to me when gas is $20/gal [US$2013].
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 18:27:30

But we are driving less.

And it looks structural

http://uspirg.org/reports/usp/new-direction

In fact, younger people are less likely to drive — or even to have driver’s licenses — than past generations for whom driving was a birthright and the open road a symbol of freedom. Research by Michael Sivak of the Transportation Research Institute at the University of Michigan found that young people are getting driver’s licenses in smaller numbers than previous generations.

Online life might have something to do with the change, he suggested. “A higher proportion of Internet users was associated with a lower licensure rate,” he wrote in a recent study. “This finding is consistent with the hypothesis that access to virtual contact reduces the need for actual contact among young people.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us/re ... d=all&_r=0
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Beery1 » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 18:58:23

AgentR11 wrote:Gas being more expense than it used to be is not the same as gas being high priced...

That's kinda true, but not for everyone. I guarantee you that unless they have a partner or parent that makes a good wage and who is willing to subsidize them, many folks making minimum wage are finding that today's gas prices make driving to work too expensive. And the numbers of those folks are only going to grow as oil becomes scarcer and more expensive. In a few years, it won't just be minimum wage earners who can't afford to drive: folks in service industry jobs won't be able to drive, then low level office workers, then middle management, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe at that point you'll still find gas to be relatively cheap, but you'll be in a small and shrinking minority.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 19:07:46

Beery1 wrote:many folks making minimum wage are finding that today's gas prices make driving to work too expensive......

Of course. Thats why you shouldn't get a college degree in liberal arts.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 19:32:26

People are still taking the newer toll roads around Dallas, too, probably because they allow higher speeds than the interstate highways in the area.

The reason boils down to "Why shouldn't I? I'm worth it." There are other things to cut besides things that make my life nicer. We'll skip buying the giant inflatable penguin this christmas...or saving for our kids' college educations. Or caring for our parents.

Why do we still use air conditioners with $400 electricity bills?
Why do we still patronize Starbucks and similar sites instead of using Folgers Crystals and tapwater?
Why do we take long daily hot water showers instead of Saturday night baths?
Why do newlyweds want 3000 square foot homes (As Seen On TV!)

Brian's Theorem of Human Nature: Comfort, once achieved, is rarely given up willingly.

Brian
KrellEnergySource
Peat
Peat

Unread postby C8 » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 20:01:27

Speeding may be the ultimate in short term thinking. how many people have been in serious accidents or killed because they sped- even when they didn't have to go anywhere?

BTW- how do you post the little avatar next to your name?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 20:22:36

C8 wrote:BTW- how do you post the little avatar next to your name?

User Control Panel --> Profile --> Edit Avatar
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 22:57:27

C8 wrote:But it exasperates some around me who zoom around and, well, race to a red light.
And then you have to wait for them to make a left turn.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:09:57

This is 1 side of a 4-lane divided, limit 110 kph.
I admit I wastefully went 120 for no good reason. Even though my new Jevonsmobile's display was showing the higher consumption.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby John_A » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:13:21

Beery1 wrote:Because we're the dumbass species - Homo Bardus.

On the other hand, there are a few of us who don't own anything that burns gasoline, so some of us are at least not quite so stupid. I've never owned a car - I drive a bicycle. Hard to speed on a bicycle, although I have done it accidentally on occasion.

In the peak oil world, the Beery1 is like...a ROCK STAR!! [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif]

Unfortunately, with the trillions that appear to be left in the ground, yet to burn as it were, it might be awhile. But as long as I even need a few gallons a month, those who can use none, thereby directly removing themselves from the "funding of foreign jihadist supporters and the Albertan government" chain.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby John_A » Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:17:37

Plantagenet wrote:
Beery1 wrote:many folks making minimum wage are finding that today's gas prices make driving to work too expensive......

Of course. Thats why you shouldn't get a college degree in liberal arts.

True Dat. Worried about peak oil? Graduating college looking for a meaningful and well paid career guaranteed to be valued until A) You die or B) renewables finally DO work out, there is a clear choice...

John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 00:05:27

Oil saved may be used elsewhere, especially in other parts of the world where consumption is rising in order to meet basic needs.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 00:47:16

I should probably point out that speed is less important than weight and efficiency of the vehicle.
As an example I can get way better fuel economy from a Lotus Elise (which is famous for kicking the ass of some kind of high end Ferrari on the test course of Top Gear years ago) driving it at less than full out (say 140 km/hr) than I can from driving a Chevy people mover (van) at pedestrian rates.
It isn't the sports car enthusiasts you need to worry about, it is the soccer moms.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 01:21:52

I think maybe you missed a possible explanation. For many people the economy is scary, either they have lost a job, their spouse has lost a job or they fear they will lose their job. When they get behind the wheel of a moving vehicle instead of being at the whim of forces beyond their control suddenly they are in control of their own destiny. Drive fast, change lanes, blow a stop sign...it is all their decision and if they do it wrong they get the punishment of an accident or a ticket as a result. Even if the result is a negative one it comes about because of what they chose to do. They are in control, not the boss, not the economy, they themselves control their own destiny, as long as they are in the driver seat making the decisions.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Lore » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 08:24:28

Good point Tenada. The liberation of being able to go where you want to go is very addictive. The only difference between ourselves and our dogs while driving is that we keep our heads behind the windshield.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:51:56

John_A wrote:
In the peak oil world, the Beery1 is like...a ROCK STAR!! [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif]

Unfortunately, with the trillions that appear to be left in the ground, yet to burn as it were, it might be awhile. But as long as I even need a few gallons a month, those who can use none, thereby directly removing themselves from the "funding of foreign jihadist supporters and the Albertan government" chain.

http://resourceinsights.blogspot.com/20 ... gy_28.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby C8 » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:50:13

Tanada wrote:I think maybe you missed a possible explanation. For many people the economy is scary, either they have lost a job, their spouse has lost a job or they fear they will lose their job. When they get behind the wheel of a moving vehicle instead of being at the whim of forces beyond their control suddenly they are in control of their own destiny. Drive fast, change lanes, blow a stop sign...it is all their decision and if they do it wrong they get the punishment of an accident or a ticket as a result. Even if the result is a negative one it comes about because of what they chose to do. They are in control, not the boss, not the economy, they themselves control their own destiny, as long as they are in the driver seat making the decisions.

I thought of that Tanada, or I should say I felt that, but I couldn't find a way to turn the feelings into words- so thanks for that. I will say something else that maybe reflects this- I have noticed that in the burbs, to which I have recently moved, there are a lot of big trucks (= power) and an awful lot of people spending a crazy amount of time training and controlling dogs. This is really big time in the burbs- gotta make that pup obey! I am talking hours here! Back in the city people just kinda walked their dogs on leashes and let em do whatever.

I still think the adrenaline addiction feedback loop locks in a lot of speeding behavior though, kinda like dice shooting at Vegas. You just never know when you will die in a fiery crash- thrilling isn't it? Speed is a rush! Helps explain why so many make foolish dashes for red lights also. Isn't danger exciting?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby John_A » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:59:25

ralfy wrote:
John_A wrote:

http://resourceinsights.blogspot.com/20 ... gy_28.html

Kurt should really be on the board of ASPO International instead of a the local lobbying group so he can give those Parisians a what-for.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Conservation & Efficiency