Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Populism

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Populism

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 16 Jul 2020, 10:40:00

‘Trumpy politics’ leave permanent imprint on GOP
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/16/trump-imprint-republican-party-363407

Calling the political landscape unfavorable for “the more traditional, elite part of the party,” Pat McCrory, the former Republican governor of North Carolina, suggested that the GOP has become a more blue-collar-oriented party under Trump, with his trade policies and “America First” messaging. And he suspects that will last.

“I think you’re going to have more populist candidates in the future, and the trick’s going to be getting the populist candidate that also can appeal to the suburban voter, which we can’t lose,” he said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if the Republicans are going to find some future, conservative AOCs.”

The trick’s going to be getting the populist candidate that also can appeal to the suburban voter

Is that where we're at in American politics? Trump went in destroying the hegemony of the Democratic Party and wound up destroying the Republican Party instead. Can Biden's middle-of-the-road approach succeed in retaining the support of the American people? Is the Northern USA breaking away from the Southern USA all over again? The biggest actor in American politics has clearly been 'Coronavirus/Covid-19' and looks poised to remain that way throughout 2020.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Populism

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 16 Jul 2020, 10:57:43

Trump’s presidency has shattered a key myth
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/trumps-presidency-has-shattered-a-key-myth-that-helped-propel-him-to-victory-conservative-columnist/

On Thursday, writing for The Bulwark, conservative columnist and former Jeb Bush communications director Tim Miller outlined how President Donald Trump has lost a critical image with voters that helped him get elected in 2016 — the perception of him as a shrewd dealmaker.

That image, argued Miller, may have once let voters believe Trump would break the partisan mold and work with both parties to get things done. Instead, he’s been a cut-and-dried Republican ideologue.

Trump's strategy has been to appeal to populist sentiments, but yet be a 'cut-and-dried' Republican ideologue. I wonder what we can say about Biden?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 18 Jul 2020, 19:08:28

jedrider wrote:
Trump's strategy has been to appeal to populist sentiments, but yet be a 'cut-and-dried' Republican ideologue. I wonder what we can say about Biden?

All Biden has to do is not be Trump.

BIden's "hide in the basement" campaign strategy has turned out to be one of the brilliant campaigns ever.

I congratulate Biden's campaign manager--Greg Schultz--- on his clever strategy excellent timing.

Greg Schultz....the man who came up with Biden's great "hide-in-the-basement" campaign strategy. Brilliant!!!

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 01:28:08

I just heard today: "What does Biden and a can of tomatoes have in common? They can both beat Trump in the election."

Biden can get populism on his side if he sides with protesters in the street, like Kennedy did. That cost Democrats the South, but will that cost Democrats the suburbs? I think not.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 10:06:17

jedrider wrote:I just heard today: "What does Biden and a can of tomatoes have in common? They can both beat Trump in the election."

Biden can get populism on his side if he sides with protesters in the street, like Kennedy did. That cost Democrats the South, but will that cost Democrats the suburbs? I think not.

Clearly you believe the only people who vote are those aligned with the protesters.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 10:35:50

Subjectivist wrote:
jedrider wrote:I just heard today: "What does Biden and a can of tomatoes have in common? They can both beat Trump in the election."

Clearly you believe the only people who vote are those aligned with the protesters.

Populism is not pleasing all of the voters. It's appealing to a class that has been ignored, left out and discriminated against.

Trump was a populist because he appealed to the class of racists (whether aware or not) and to a class that feared becoming a minority. It was the class of people who would say to a Native American to go back to the country they came from.

Populism always rejects the current status quo and entrenched interests and, sometimes, the deep state.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 10:49:57

jedrider wrote:.

Populism always rejects the current status quo and entrenched interests and, sometimes, the deep state.

Populism also almost always has a short shelf life for this reason. It focuses on grievances over those left out of the status quo and is a reflex toward destroying the establishment and raising the ire of those who are discontent. In time it fails to produce anything but divisiveness and the failures at governing add up to a breaking point where when it falls it falls hard and fast.

That is exactly where we are right now.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 12:28:50

Trumpism will be with us for decades after the president is gone
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/trumpism-will-be-with-us-for-decades-after-the-president-is-gone/

The aesthetic nature of Trumpism — the extent to which his appeal to voters is predicated on his performance of impudence and outsiderdom, and not a precise agenda — is powered by this emotionality. Among a large, overwhelmingly white and disproportionately male population that make up the notorious “Trump base,” the president’s behavior elicited a visceral response that took much of the rest of the country by surprise. It did so by delivering to this constituency something few others had realized it wanted — not policy but narrative, an animation of its grievances and its fantasies played out in the public square.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 15:08:34

jedrider wrote:
Among a large, overwhelmingly white and disproportionately male population that make up the notorious “Trump base,” the president’s behavior elicited a visceral response that took much of the rest of the country by surprise. It did so by delivering to this constituency something few others had realized it wanted — not policy but narrative, an animation of its grievances and its fantasies played out in the public square.

I never get all the antipathy on the left towards the "white....disproportionately male population."

For decades the white working class was the core of the D party. Obama got a lot of votes from the "white....disproportionately male population."

Then, because of some excesses and failures of the Obama administration and because Hillary's own questionable ethics and bungled campaign, some in the "white....disproportionately male population" voted for Trump.

Now, because the manifest excesses and failures of the Trump administration, the "white....disproportionately male population" will show a big shift to voting for Biden.

I think the Ds would be smarter to understand that their policies aren't always perfect, and Ds should understand that voters notice when the Ds make mistakes, just like voters notice when Rs make mistakes. Blaming the voters is wrong-headed, IMHO, because it prevents any self-examination and self-criticism on the part of the Ds, who just go on assuming they are "perfect"....in an echo of Trump claiming his policies are "perfect."

In reality both the Ds and Rs and NOT PERFECT and in reality voters notice and dislike the lack of perfection no matter which party is is power and vote accordingly when they get the chance.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 15:21:57

Plantagenet, we are a 'democracy' afterall. So, whose at fault here? It is clear. Those that are not vigilant, those that refuse to look outside of their comfort zone.

Anyway, one group looking out for their interests against another group or groups is not unusual. However, the systematic injustices are very real. That's where we stand and populism can take many forms, both good and bad.

That's why I started this thread, to explore how populism could be good or, maybe, it could be bad, but that's my question, how populism can unfold in the 21st century?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to North America Discussion