Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Announcement Please Read

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Announcement Please Read

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 23 Aug 2020, 12:36:56

As the election rhetoric heats up the tribal factions amongst the members here can find themselves caught up in the spirit of anger and defamation that is so prevalent in negative campaigning as practiced by all sides in American politics.

So long as you spew your anger at a politician, government program or the world as it is you are free to express your anger as you see fit.

However, accusations against fellow board members is off the table. If you think Joe6P is a raving racist jackass you are entitled to your opinion. HOWEVER, when you cross the line to publicly accusing Joe6P of being a raving racist jackass in a public thread that is a step too far.

We have evolved, or if you prefer declined, into a very small active community of posters. Things spouted in the heat of the political campaign against your fellow members can only have a detrimental effect on the membership of the board in the longer term and the survival of this space as a place for those remaining active members to interact. This threat to the survival of the board will not be permitted and will have consequences for the offender no matter which side of what issue they support.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Announcement Please Read

Unread postby Makati1 » Tue 04 Oct 2022, 19:44:52

If your new rules apply to ALL signed in, then enforce them with ALL on here or lose another reader and supporter of your site to others. I have been called everything you can imagine in my many years here, with no one censoring their attacks. Now, suddenly, I am being prevented from returning their venom?

Peak Oil is going the way of other sites. No freedom to protect yourself from the attacks of less educated, brainwashed, narrow minded serfs. So be it. Just another sign of the decline of the West.
Makati1
Wood
Wood

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 04 Oct 2022, 20:00:24

I was thinking about this topic last week. I am going to try to not post any overtly political or ideological comments unless it directly revolves around Energy. I don't even want to engage in any climate change content, which IMO is best expressed on a climate change site. I am trying my best to stick around despite the low signal to noise ratio.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work Tanada and other Staff!
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 04 Oct 2022, 21:57:22

Makati1 wrote:If your new rules apply to ALL signed in, then enforce them with ALL on here or lose another reader and supporter of your site to others. I have been called everything you can imagine in my many years here, with no one censoring their attacks. Now, suddenly, I am being prevented from returning their venom?

Peak Oil is going the way of other sites. No freedom to protect yourself from the attacks of less educated, brainwashed, narrow minded serfs. So be it. Just another sign of the decline of the West.

Dude, you've got like 2 posts. You don't appear to have been called anything!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 17 Dec 2022, 05:52:26

AdamB wrote:
Makati1 wrote:If your new rules apply to ALL signed in, then enforce them with ALL on here or lose another reader and supporter of your site to others. I have been called everything you can imagine in my many years here, with no one censoring their attacks. Now, suddenly, I am being prevented from returning their venom?

He's made a LOT of posts to wherever the unmediated forum posts that show up a lot when you log on here (at least for me), re various articles, over the years.

Given the nature of his posts and attacks and claims in general, let's say his calling other posters things like "less educated, brainwashed, narrow minded" (his words) is rather interesting and to me, ironic and amusing.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 23 Dec 2022, 16:34:00

Tanada - I never suspected you were a "being a raving control freak jackass". LOL. Another of your valid posts. Let's see who is paying attention.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Fri 23 Dec 2022, 17:29:17

+1

I'll keep trying.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 27 Jan 2023, 15:55:41

Makati1 wrote:If your new rules apply to ALL signed in, then enforce them with ALL on here or lose another reader and supporter of your site to others.

Nearly everyone here is very respectful I thought. There are just a couple of sick units who are easily banished to the ignore list, that's what it's for after all.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 28 Jan 2023, 10:46:59

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
AdamB wrote:

He's made a LOT of posts to wherever the unmediated forum posts that show up a lot when you log on here (at least for me), re various articles, over the years.

Given the nature of his posts and attacks and claims in general, let's say his calling other posters things like "less educated, brainwashed, narrow minded" (his words) is rather interesting and to me, ironic and amusing.

Egads, another narcissist! I have this feeling that many more of us are narcissists than we define it in society.

The thing about that to keep in mind is how do they come to recognize that others do actually exist? You can impose restrictions, but that won't get them to that place where they recognize that doing right by others only comes back to benefit them. It's not planting seeds, there is less guarantee of outcome, but it is a lot like it.

Because there is less guarantee of outcome, when it fails the narcissist is twice as likely to keep it up, so it is dangerous to rely upon the good. It can classify the perpetually bottom dwelling into a certain way of thinking. They can latch onto the same space con-men seem to thrive in. The exclusivity can result in characteristics that are points of pride among those who are failing only being reinforced. They will never see that they are their own worst enemy, not all of those rubes or those marks. Not all of those people who are more "stupid" than they are.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 28 Jan 2023, 13:07:10

I read that post three times @Evilgenius, and I still can't fathom what it is you are saying? Seriously.

If I was to comment anything on it I would say that societies current values "value" narcissism. Everything I see in the media is about "Me" whether it's a new car that I deserve, or some Blacks that say they deserve repartitions, Or governments enforcing codes of conduct on society because some minority feels unhappy about being called names.

Everyone is being told they are Special, and that they deserve the best, this is the root of narcissism really.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 28 Jan 2023, 20:44:10

theluckycountry wrote:I read that post three times @Evilgenius, and I still can't fathom what it is you are saying? Seriously.

If I was to comment anything on it I would say that societies current values "value" narcissism. Everything I see in the media is about "Me" whether it's a new car that I deserve, or some Blacks that say they deserve repartitions, Or governments enforcing codes of conduct on society because some minority feels unhappy about being called names.

Everyone is being told they are Special, and that they deserve the best, this is the root of narcissism really.

I figure it implies dementia, but that likely makes me even more a "narcissist", at least to his ilk.

It's kind of sad when pointing out that someone uses insults, etc. as a mainstream behavior (while he's whining about not being treated fairly, re conduct), then you're considered a "bad guy".

But maybe I'm not allowed to have an opinion, kind of like being white, I'm automatically a "racist" among certain politically correct folks, despite having lived my life in a very UNracist kind of way, re my overall behavior...
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 29 Jan 2023, 09:09:22

The rules her are pretty simple really.

“Don’t be a jack ass” about covers it.

From a Moderators point of view we generally do pretty well considering we touch in a lot of very hot button issues.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Support