Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Blacklisting (was Log In Problems)

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Blacklisting (was Log In Problems)

Unread postby Pops » Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:03:03

You should be able to post now, and don't worry, it wasn't you, your provider etc...

PO uses a proxy server (Cloudflare) to cache the site in different locations, theoretically making the site faster with less spam, the downside is that when you log into the site, your address is masked and replaced with an random address from a small pool of Cloudflare addresses, not sure why but that's the way it works.

Anyway, it turns out the service Cloudflare uses to track IP addresses used by spammers is blacklisting Cloudflare's own addresses, so if when you log on you are assigned one of the random addresses that was at some point randomly assigned to a reported spammer, and then blacklisted, you are then blacklisted as well.

Cloudflare is not going to take care of the spammers it is hosting so the blacklister (spamhaus) is not going to delist CF...

So we turned off CF, hopefully we won't be too much slower, don't think that is possible.

Increasing complexity, diminishing returns, the center does not hold, this is the w..
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Log In Problems

Unread postby steam_cannon » Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:04:42

I logged in successfully, but it was weird. After my first attempt using the sidebar, it told me "Your maximum number of login attempts has been exceeded, you have to fill out a capcha" or something like that. After I filled out the capcha it worked. So yeah, I'd say the login system is glitching since one login attempt shouldn't trigger a capcha, unless someone else tried to login as me (such as hacker bots for link spamming). Also the site's pretty slow right now.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby steam_cannon » Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:16:59

Using Firefox, I logged in again and again it sent me directly to the capcha page. So this suggests I was sent to the captcha login page because of a login script issue or a database issue and not due to hackers attempting to crack logins.

Also when it took me to the capcha login form page, the capcha didn't work for the second login until I hit the refresh button on the captcha widget, then it displayed a new capcha which I typed in and it worked.

This suggests two problems:
A. General login glitch.
B. The capcha system is a little glitchy too.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 12 Jul 2012, 14:25:46

thanks SC
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby careinke » Thu 12 Jul 2012, 23:39:47

I'm also using Firefox, but I am having no problems logging on. The site seems very slow with very few posts today.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby admin » Sat 14 Jul 2012, 09:39:14

Sorry about that; this should be temporarily fixed now :-)
admin
l33t
l33t

Unread postby Lore » Sat 14 Jul 2012, 10:56:27

Seems to be crashing Safari browser?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 14 Jul 2012, 12:54:07

testing 1...2...3

Edit: Hooray! I can make a post again. I'm off to the PFTF forum to post an update.

Yesterday I was getting the message that my IP address was blacklisted, but that seems to be fixed now. I'm not a spammer. I don't like spam.

"I don't want any spam."
Why can't she have egg, bacon, spam and sausage?"
"That's got spam in it."
"Not as much spam as egg, spam, sausage and spam."
"Look, could I have egg, bacon, spam and sausage without the spam?"
"Uuuuuuggggh!"

It's interesting that one of the lasting legacies from Monty Python was the term "spam" in internet applications.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Sat 14 Jul 2012, 15:21:54

Testing...

Cheers Dan, the temporary fix appears to be working.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 11:57:16

davep wrote:Testing...

Cheers Dan, the temporary fix appears to be working.

Wow, looks like only a couple of posts yesterday, and so far none today. Also the site seems very slow.

Is anybody out there?.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 12:59:36

This is a test...

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 13:09:34

PO was using a proxy server (Cloudflare) to cache the site in different locations, theoretically making the site faster with less spam, the downside is that when you log into the site, your address is masked and replaced with an random address from a small pool of Cloudflare addresses, not sure why but that's the way it works.

Anyway, it turns out the service Cloudflare uses to track IP addresses used by spammers is blacklisting Cloudflare's own addresses, so if when you log on you are assigned one of the random addresses that was at some point randomly assigned to a reported spammer, and then blacklisted, you are then blacklisted as well.

I guess Cloudflare is not going to take care of the spammers it is hosting so the blacklister (spamhaus) is not going to delist CF...

So we turned off CF, hopefully we won't be too much slower, don't think that is possible.

Increasing complexity, diminishing returns, the center does not hold, this is the way the wor
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 13:10:48

Side bar has gone for me.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Blacklisting (was Log In Problems)

Unread postby Pops » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 13:16:29

I think Admin is losing some of the goodies to speed things up, the functional stuff should be back soon...
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 14:11:43

If you want to get into a forum and your sidebar hasn't shown up, click on "view your posts," and select a forum from there.
Yes, the site is slow, but, at least, we got it back!
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dbruning » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 14:49:22

Sidebar seems to be gone, but only some of the time. If I select "New Posts" the sidebar shows up.

Scratch that, soon as I made that post the site ate my sidebar there too ;)
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby hardy citrus » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 17:27:09

test
hardy citrus

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 04:30:55

Thanks!
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude