Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE " Emoticon Problem " Thread (merged)

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

THE " Emoticon Problem " Thread (merged)

Unread postby o2ny » Tue 20 Dec 2005, 13:43:13

It looks I can't insert emoticons into a post anymore... I click on the faces but nothing shows up in the text area or in the final post. I see an 'Error on page' in the bottom left of the browser.

I'm running IE6 on WinXP.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 25 May 2009, 22:47:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge thread.
o2ny
Lignite
Lignite

Re: emoticons don't work

Unread postby quiltea » Tue 20 Dec 2005, 13:50:28

I'm unable to insert emoticons as well. I'm new to the forum and just started posting, so I didn't know how it should work.

I'm on IE 6 as well
quiltea
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Jack » Tue 20 Dec 2005, 14:41:20

They "sorta" work. In the old days, you could just click and the emoticon code would be inserted into your text.

These days, just place your cursor over the desired emoticon, and notice the information in the bottom left hand corner of your browser window. At the end of the text string is the required code for the emoticon. Thus, my favorite icon is the number eight over a right-hand parenthesis, resulting in 8). For the next icon, there is a colon, followed by the word "twisted" (not in quotes) and another colon, resulting in :twisted:

Yes, that's a suboptimal workaround 'till Aaron addresses the issue. Hope it helps in the meantime.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby o2ny » Tue 20 Dec 2005, 20:29:50

:? Let's see...
:o Yup it worked!

Thanks
o2ny
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 21 Dec 2005, 01:20:34

If you click on the "view more emoticons" and open that dialog box, you can then use the emoticons. We are working on a fix for the shortcut.

MQ
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Emoticons never work

Unread postby Jellric » Fri 19 May 2006, 19:44:47

Anyone else having this problem?
Jellric
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Emoticons never work

Unread postby Jellric » Fri 19 May 2006, 20:22:26

Never had any prob with java before.

In my profile it says smilies are ON along with every other option Im presented. I want all the colors in my crayon box!
Jellric
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby turmoil » Fri 19 May 2006, 20:30:28

hmm. Try to put one in your next post in this thread, and lets see what happens.
"If you are a real seeker after truth, it's necessary that at least once in your life you doubt all things as far as possible"-Rene Descartes

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Fri 19 May 2006, 20:42:44

I noticed this as well... as suggested, it has to do with 'java' disabled in your browser (as some do for security reasons) I tested this, and found this was the case.

So, short of chaning your browser settings, what you can do is double-click to open the "view more emoticons" button, which, when opened, you will be able to click on an emoticon that inserts into your post...

But, to allow 'java', in your browser, click on "Tools", then "Options"...and then find your java settings and allow them.

Are you using IE or Firefox?
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby turmoil » Fri 19 May 2006, 20:50:45

...and for those interested in learning the difference between Java and JavaScript see below.

Now let's talk about how Java and JavaScript differ. The main difference is that Java can stand on its own while JavaScript must be placed inside an HTML document to function. Java is a much larger and more complicated language that creates "standalone" applications. A Java "applet" (so-called because it is a little application) is a fully contained program. JavaScript is text that is fed into a browser that can read it and then is enacted by the browser.

More

The problem above would be a JavaScript problem, if that turns out to be the case.
"If you are a real seeker after truth, it's necessary that at least once in your life you doubt all things as far as possible"-Rene Descartes

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jellric » Sat 20 May 2006, 22:15:56

I use IE..I had tried using an emoticon is the post above. Here. I'll try again..

Nothing.

:-D

Ok opening the "View more emoticons' did the trick.

As for Tools>Internet Options the only thing I could find in there related to java was a box that was already checked.

Thanks for the info.
Jellric
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby o2ny » Sat 20 May 2006, 23:19:43

What I always have to do is rollover the emoticons (on the left) to see what characters make up each one, and then just manually type it in- for instance a regular smiley is 'colon-dash-D'

:-D
"If you're always looking for the invisible hand to guide you, you will find that the invisible hand often gives you the invisible finger." - some guy on CNBC
o2ny
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Sun 21 May 2006, 00:11:24

You have IE....so

This problem likely then results from the security settings you have selected for IE...

To see if this is the case (and I think it might be), in IE, go to Tools, then Options, then click on the Security tab...

You may find that you have "high" selected....move the slider to "medium" , as this will allow java, mostly safe activeX scripts, etc.

If this doesn't apply, click on the Advanced tab, then scroll down and look at your java settings.

Also note that your copy of IE and extensions may not be up to date. Click on the "Windows Update" tab under Tools and go to the microsoft web site to find out. Select "custom" download so you can see and select more updates than just the 'priority' updates you should be doing..

Btw, I've used both IE and Firefox...prefer FF now due to fewer ad troubles, arguably better security, and free extensions, etc...you should consider switching. Sometimes I'll still use IE on certain sites as the site was designed for IE, or for certain content like videos that work only within IE and its plugins. But FF is free, and you can run both. Just google it, go to the corporate site.
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Technical Support