Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Noob here

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Noob here

Unread postby Tom Kirkman » Fri 19 Jun 2020, 06:58:10

Hi all, planning to lurk here for a while before writing much of anything. I'll start off with 1 short thread today, just to give the regulars here a feel for my staunchly pro - oil & gas blatherings.

I've written around 20,000 comments (and dozens of articles) about oil & gas in the last 6 or 7 years, and tend to be pretty opinionated.

For info, I was a volunteer moderator for 3 years on the old Oilpro forum, before the forum got shut down in the legal tussle between Oilpro and Rigzone.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6336435878159835136

And a couple weeks ago I walked away in frustration as a volunteer moderator on the Oil Price forum after almost 3 years, due to the forum getting flooded with Antifa type trolls and CCP shills.

My background is 20 years in international oil & gas. And I've been a freedom of speech activist for decades. I *encourage* dissent, and rational debate.

Cheers.
Tom Kirkman
Wood
Wood

Re: Noob here

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 22 Jun 2020, 00:43:08

Tom Kirkman wrote:I've written around 20,000 comments (and dozens of articles) about oil & gas in the last 6 or 7 years, and tend to be pretty opinionated.

We would all prefer well informed rather than opinionated. Opinionated is what got this place the likes of doomer-philes, Harold Camping retreads and generally geologically uninformed folks spouting nonsense about peak oil and the Mayan calendar and every other bit of hysteria you can imagine.

Tom Kirkland wrote:My background is 20 years in international oil & gas. And I've been a freedom of speech activist for decades. I *encourage* dissent, and rational debate.
Cheers.

20 years in international oil and gas in what capacity? Doing it, or just yakking about it?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tom Kirkman » Mon 22 Jun 2020, 07:09:06

AdamB wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:I've written around 20,000 comments (and dozens of articles) about oil & gas in the last 6 or 7 years, and tend to be pretty opinionated.

We would all prefer well informed rather than opinionated. Opinionated is what got this place the likes of doomer-philes, Harold Camping retreads and generally geologically uninformed folks spouting nonsense about peak oil and the Mayan calendar and every other bit of hysteria you can imagine.

Tom Kirkman wrote:My background is 20 years in international oil & gas. And I've been a freedom of speech activist for decades. I *encourage* dissent, and rational debate.
Cheers.

20 years in international oil and gas in what capacity? Doing it, or just yakking about it?

Doing it. I use my real name on Oil & Gas forums.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomkirkman
Tom Kirkman
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 22 Jun 2020, 20:57:52

Tom Kirkman wrote:20 years in international oil and gas in what capacity? Doing it, or just yakking about it?

Doing it. I use my real name on Oil & Gas forums.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomkirkman[/quote]

Which part of "doing it"? Petroleum engineering, geology, geophysics, infrastructure development, chemical or mechanical engineering, offshore or on, research and geoscience perhaps?

I don't do linked in, so I can't see what particular specialty you might have been involved in.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 27 Jun 2020, 18:03:42

Tom Kirkman wrote:My background is 20 years in international oil & gas. And I've been a freedom of speech activist for decades. I *encourage* dissent, and rational debate.
Cheers.

Welcome Tom.

I look forward to seeing your comments and opinions in the threads here.

This site used to be very busy but its evolved into a smaller site in recent years. Nonetheless there are multiple people here with experience in the oil and gas biz similar to yours and oil pricing and demand and geology and well completions and fracking and other oil related issues attract good discussion. There is also some good discussion of EVs and alternative energy, ecology and climate change, international events, and, of course, US politics.

I recommend that instead of lurking that you just dive in and start posting in threads and discussions that interest you.

Have a great day.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 28 Jun 2020, 16:56:06

a

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Welcome