Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Welcome Back

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Welcome Back

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 08:19:04

As you no doubt noticed the forums for the website were offline for a while. The company which hosts the website experienced a significant DOS attack through the internet and went down. While the front page and news feed was quickly restored it took longer for the forums to be brought back, but as of this morning things seem to be functional once again.

Welcome Back!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

What happened?

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 08:19:54

The site was down (for me at least) for the last three days or so. Is everything alright? I was thinking that some crucial component of the system was maybe located along the affected area of the Gulf coast! But probably it was just tech-glich stuff?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: What happened?

Unread postby Cog » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 10:59:53

I shut the site down for a few days so it could be re-calibrated into a more MAGA friendly site. Don't panic. The new changes will be great.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Welcome Back

Unread postby Cog » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 11:14:38

Why would anyone want to conduct a denial of service attack on a Peak Oil site? Are there any suspects? Russia, China, etc. The web hosting company should be able to tell the owner from whence such attacks came from.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 11:34:25

I suspect that the DDOS attack affected the host site, and there are many clients hosted there.
The attack could have been aimed at any of the other websites hosted there.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 15:32:27

I thought I had been banned from the forums. :-D

Maybe, if possible, next time putting an announcement on the home page.

Glad you are back. I actually missed the banter.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 14 Oct 2018, 17:49:08

I experienced separation anxiety!

LOL

All joking aside, how quickly everyone came back shows how important the discussions in this site are to us.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby charmcitysking » Mon 15 Oct 2018, 04:12:48

I thought my boss finally realized I’m only pretending to be busy and actually reading PO.com all day at my desk
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 15 Oct 2018, 12:26:15

Tanada wrote:As you no doubt noticed the forums for the website were offline for a while. The company which hosts the website experienced a significant DOS attack through the internet and went down. While the front page and news feed was quickly restored it took longer for the forums to be brought back, but as of this morning things seem to be functional once again.

Welcome Back!

Interesting. Since the message I kept getting was that a SQL table had "crashed", I assumed some database component(s) needed to be recovered.

It's really too bad that the bad actors re the internet that "attack" things can't be severely sanctioned in some way to discourage such behavior.

The time I got a webpage redirector rootkit virus by installing a "Chrome update" without checking it out first (yes, I've learned my lesson), and found out this was some well organized outfit in Russia paid per computer infected, and using virus signatures that evolve to resist fixing the problem re a standard antivirus fix -- I had a new candidate for droning for Mr. Obama, if he had asked.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Welcome