Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Questions about drilling for oil on my land

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Questions about drilling for oil on my land

Unread postby scubedo » Mon 06 Jun 2011, 14:56:34

Hi- We have land near Plentywood mt. and have leased our mineral rights. Couple of questions:
1- Is there a minimum no. of barrels per day that the drilling companies would expect before drilling. If so, what is that amount?

2.- There is lots of activity from oil lease companies in our area. Any idea when they will be coming to the Plentywood area?

Thanks for all your help.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 17:29:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified title.
scubedo
Wood
Wood

Re: Bakken Oil

Unread postby Moto » Fri 14 Oct 2011, 22:20:57

Your area is not very well developed yet. Do you know what field, specifically?

Montana does not have a very good website, but your best information resource is probably going to be
http://www.bogc.dnrc.mt.gov/WebApps/Dat ... ation.aspx
http://www.bogc.dnrc.mt.gov:4899/websit ... viewer.htm

From what I see, none of the fields closest have any production data from the Bakken. Production data for your area is all from Red River, Nisku, and Winnipegosis.

On the North Dakota side, they are mostly after Madison in the northwest corner of the state.

I know there are a couple of odd ball operators in that area that are desperate to get into the Bakken. Development is probably a few years out at best in your area. I wouldn't be surprised to see development move from the west to east in your area rather than east to west.

The geology is a little weird in your area too... The Bakken transitions from a shale to a sandstone which is normally a good thing, but it could create a hit an miss situation.

Oil companies do not really like to re-lease property so they might try to get it drilled before the lease runs out. Lease prices have gone up significantly on the North Dakota side so drillers are working as fast as they can so that they don't end up paying thousands of dollars per acre. I do not think the lease value would be that high in your area, but it is possible. Oasis has some wells in the far north that came online between 1200 and 2500 bbls a day.
Moto
Wood
Wood

Return to Welcome