Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I want to choose eden too

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

I want to choose eden too

Unread postby euphoricdreamer » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 20:03:05

After reading 'Choosing Eden' by Adrienne Langman, I feel the urgent need to follow in her footsteps. I am here to keep updated and educated and converse with like minded people. Highly recomend reading Adrienne's book.
euphoricdreamer
Wood
Wood

Re: I want to choose eden too

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 13:39:42

This isn't the best place for that kind of attitude. You will likely get kind of stomped on. Not many Eden dreamers here, most have moved on to friendlier climes. I hang around in order to try to help direct folks like you to information which might actually be helpful.

I recommend these messageboards:

http://forums.sustainablecountry.com/forums/forum.php

http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums#1

Hope to see you there! :)
Ludi

Unread postby scas » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 13:40:54

Yup a lot of hostile people on this forums. The sweetest people can turn face on you, just like in real life. Some very informative people too though.

But glad to hear you're looking for the sustainable carbon free life.
scas
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 13:52:28

Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? - Tom Smykowski:Office
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Revi » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 13:58:54

I just read the synopsis of the book. I have to have it now!

http://www.randomhouse.com.au/Books/Def ... 1741665499

I think that it's a smart move, and now is the time to do it. The only thing is that there has to be a plan in place for security when it gets nasty. I have a few friends who are working on "doomsteads" and one said something that I thought was good. He said that you need to be in a place where the other people around you won't run from trouble. They have to be willing to defend you, and you them.

There may be a place that is like Eden, but I have found most places to be somewhere between utopia and dystopia. The place we live in now is on the dystopic side, but it is trying. We have a 20 acre maple syrup operation, and it's all I can do in my 50's to keep it going. I don't know if this place meets the doomstead criteria, but we're here for a while.

Mount Desert Island was called Eden for a while. It is pretty nice.

There are a few places that seem pretty eden-like, but it may just be that the grass is greener on the other side. It's not a bad idea to get some land, plant some fruit trees and build a very inconspicuous shelter powered by the sun.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby scas » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 17:06:50

After reading Whole Earth Discipline by Stewart Brand it got me wondering, what if it's the cities that survive? What if the climate shifts and unending drought hits a specific region? It's likely that imported supplies will be shipped directly to the heart of the city. Smaller communes whose crops fail would end up migrating to the food line ups in the megacities.

And if climate change pushes us into a hyper-evolutionary race with bacteria and fungi, then it's likely only the mega-corporation with its directly link to GE scientists will be the ones growing and distributing the majority of the food.

Some people would take this as an attack on permaculture and small farms. Please don't. I endorse both.
scas
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 17:27:55

scas wrote:After reading Whole Earth Discipline by Stewart Brand it got me wondering, what if it's the cities that survive? What if the climate shifts and unending drought hits a specific region? It's likely that imported supplies will be shipped directly to the heart of the city. Smaller communes whose crops fail would end up migrating to the food line ups in the megacities.

I think a lot depends on how people choose to grow their food. If they practice typical agriculture, they will be extremely vulnerable to climate change just as we see now with various food-producing regions of the planet getting hit with drought or flood. Grain-based agriculture is about the most vulnerable way you can choose to grow food, especially since most of the human population is supported by only a handful of crops. Permaculture is likely to be less vulnerable to climate change, but of course not immune.
Ludi

Return to Welcome