Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Are we all STUPID?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Are we all STUPID?

Unread postby oilmonster » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 16:52:45

If Peak Oil theory is correct, then there are only two key questions: 1) when and 2) hard or soft.

When I was on the NOW and HARD "trip" I lost most of my friends. So those of you who are still in that development stage of getting to grips with this, learn a little and try to keep your friends.

Fact is, the PEAK will only be recognised in retrospect and it may last for 5 to 10 years due to issues which impact on oil suppy, like economics, war, climate, etc.,

Fact is that if it hit really hard, then bleeting about it now will not prepare you for it. So and watch ICE AGE - the dodo's are PREPARING FOR THE ICE AGE in grand fassion.
Look where it got them.

Personally, I'll get on with living the best life I can now, trusting in God, democracy, and capitalism (supply & demand) to get us through what will definately be troubled times ahead. I've got a second kid on the way in 4 weeks so being positive is cool right now! 8)

If any of you out there want to really make a difference, STOP BEING SO STUPID. You bleet about these issues here on this site, but when it comes to voting - you go out and vote for someone that panders to your NOW day to day WANTS like cheap everything and massive gas guzzeling vehicles. :twisted: Tell your political establishment that this is your no.1 issue, turn the lights out, and buy a small car, etc.

Good nite from England!

Oilmonster
oilmonster
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Kingcoal » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 17:40:58

I voted for Kerry and Kerry won my state. I tried, mate.

I haven't lost any friends, in fact I've gained quite a few. I was never the "off in the wilderness type." We can only solve our problems by being active in our communities. I think our purpose here is to find answers. This is a "skunk works" for ideas. 99.9% of them are crap, but that's how it goes. Besides, it's fun. I think you are missing the fun of it. Talk to Permanently Baffled about that.

Good night from Pennsylvania!
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jack » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 18:12:26

I voted for President Bush.

Sometimes, a greedy algorithm is the best approach. And grabbing the oil for ourselves appeals to me anyway. :twisted:
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Guest » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 18:42:43

Amazing - the last poster takes pride in greed, stupidity and ultimate self destruction!! For what reason - nationalism...which only benefits the owners of surplus capital (the serious stuff, not a bit of scraggy personal real estate).

We're in serious shit when you consider how widespread this dumbing down is....but then, they will kill themselves off or die off and voila, reason may have a chance once again....a big may but nevertheless, it is clear the current state cannot continue with our existing crop of homo sapiens, if this character (and many others I have encountered on the www) is anything to go by.

Facetiously said...

Unread postby EnviroEngr » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 20:31:43

There might have been some tongue-in-cheek in that post.
-------------------------------------------
| Whose reality is this anyway!? |
-------------------------------------------
(---------< Temet Nosce >---------)
Heavy Crude

Re: Facetiously said...

Unread postby Oilgood » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 22:57:54

EnviroEngr wrote:There might have been some tongue-in-cheek in that post.

We can only hope......
Oilgood
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TrueKaiser » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 23:28:44

i voted for kerry and as for tounge and cheek i recomend using [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags.
TrueKaiser
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mindfarkk » Tue 21 Dec 2004, 23:42:52

brilliant, i don't know why i hadn't thought of this approach already.
mindfarkk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby WhatIsRealty » Wed 22 Dec 2004, 00:08:53

i say that your first mistake is "trust in god".
WhatIsRealty

Unread postby WhatIsReality » Wed 22 Dec 2004, 00:10:24

Your second mistake is trusting in Democracy.
WhatIsReality

Unread postby WhatIsReality » Wed 22 Dec 2004, 00:12:13

Your third mistate is being you.

Your future is bleak.
WhatIsReality

Unread postby SilverHair » Wed 22 Dec 2004, 01:42:55

Funny, but my thought is that if peak oil is a valid theory, then what is the path to survival.

Clearly, peak oil implies peak population, and since my loved ones and I are part of this population, I am quite concerned about this little issue of our survival, given an obvious lack of such supporters of like like food, shelter and peace in a peak oil situation.

Yes trust is democracy, god, society etc. is for the ignorant, but how is it that even given a clear picture of reality one is to survive such a dilema. Two thirds of us to die and how to avoid death; quite a big puzzle to solve.
SilverHair

Are we mad~?

Unread postby oilmonster » Wed 22 Dec 2004, 17:22:20

Thanks Silverhair. You are right in my book. One other on this thread offers no solutions. he/she has nothing to offer.

To me the solution is simple. The whole world is not comming to an end. But yes, there will be some big changes on the way. Those of you who think that democracy, law and order, religion, etc., have no place and cannot help will be the first to DIE OFF. We need to make sure that the institutions that currently govern our world are allowed to ADAPT into the future to manage the new challenges. So if you voted Kerry, thanks from England, and do so again next time. Bush is off to the Arctic some time soon in seach of more black stuff.

AMERICA is an institution. From here on the English South Coast, I have to admit that if the US economy goes completely tits up because you don't have access to the sticky black stuff, then the whole world economy is up the creek. Result? Lot of people die off in India, China, Africa, etc., because many of them are depandant on the USA.

This is the ony reason why I support the Iraq "mobilization".

So read my lips. WE NEED TO KEEP WORLD ECONOMIES GOING WHILE THE CONCEPT OF PEAK OIL GETS THROUGH TO THE REST OF THE PLANNET.

It would be great is American nobodies would appreciate that people like Tony "Bliar" were not stupid and were supporting the US in current climates because they were fully aware of the Peak Oil issue.

by the way - I'm a happy chappy, despite the response from some on here. retired at 35 and pretty sorted. lots to do, so must go.....

Oilmonster from England
oilmonster
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Jack » Sun 26 Dec 2004, 18:28:47

SilverHair wrote:Funny, but my thought is that if peak oil is a valid theory, then what is the path to survival.

Clearly, peak oil implies peak population, and since my loved ones and I are part of this population, I am quite concerned about this little issue of our survival, given an obvious lack of such supporters of like like food, shelter and peace in a peak oil situation.

Yes trust is democracy, god, society etc. is for the ignorant, but how is it that even given a clear picture of reality one is to survive such a dilema. Two thirds of us to die and how to avoid death; quite a big puzzle to solve.

So, if one wants to be part of the one-third that survives, one must (ahem) gather the needed resources, mustn't one? And the two-thirds who will die have nothing to lose, do they?

Therefore, one must make some hard decisions.

a) The dieoff won't happen (denial)

b) The dieoff will happen, but magically won't affect us, nor will those dying get troublesome. (fancy denial)

c) The dieoff will happen, but one's personal survival supplies will keep one safe (world class optimism)

c) The dieoff will happen, and nations need to prepare to survive the upheavals involved. (realism)

Your choice. 8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

No peak in sight

Unread postby croquetman » Tue 28 Dec 2004, 09:58:38

What if there is no peak, and Prof King's views become more accepted as the data begins to come in supporting same? I find most of what he's writen to be pretty compelling. Which planet in our solar system is not methane rich? And if the rule is for planets to be methane rich why would ours be one of 9 deprived of methane? Why should the Earth's core not hold a store of methane that we have been taping slowly for 150 years as it creaps upward from the depths? It seems that his theories have a Occam's Razor appeal: a simple explanation that doesn't rely on a great deal of hand waving and "aftera few million years it all turned to oil" rhetoric.
croquetman
Wood
Wood

Unread postby frog » Sun 02 Jan 2005, 22:23:54

Yes, on the average we are all stupid. IQ of 100 is not much.
frog

Unread postby Luminar » Mon 03 Jan 2005, 10:02:30

This is a new theory for me. I knew oil was not going to last forever, but little did i realise the consequenses of a decline in oil.

I have no land. Little money beyond supermarket subsistence level and i have little clue about how to sustain myself. I have tried to explain the theory to freinds and family and have been met with disbelief and denial.

I am hoping to be leaving switzerland soon to emigrate to western australia with my wife and two young children. I hope this theory is wrong. Yet it seems to make complete sense.

Where would a good place be, to situate oneself to improve survival possiblities. Seems to me a city is the last place to be, especially when an organism such as us requires at least 1000 square feet of prime land to feed itself.......
Luminar

stupidity vs. poor education

Unread postby pup55 » Mon 03 Jan 2005, 14:46:03

My theory is we are not stupid, just poorly educated.

The following is unearthed for your entertainment. It should probably be administered as a requirement for anyone who wants to run for office.

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/1895-test.htm
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Mon 03 Jan 2005, 15:04:49

Subject: Test For Dementia...
> >
> > Have fun!
> >
> >
> >
> > Test for Dementia
> > Below are four (4) questions and a bonus question. You have to answer them instantly. You can't take your time, answer all of them immediately. OK?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Let's find out just how clever you really are.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Ready? GO!!! (scroll down)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > First Question:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > You are participating in a race. You overtake the second
>person. What position are you in?
> >
> >
> > Answer: If you answered that you are first, then you are
>absolutely wrong! If you overtake the second person and you take his place, you are second!
> >
> > Try not to screw up in the next question.
> > To answer the second question, don't take as much time as you took for the first question.
> >
> >
> > Second Question:
> > If you overtake the last person, then you are...?
> >
> >
> > Answer: If you answered that you are second to last, then you are wrong again. Tell me, how can you overtake the LAST Person?
> >
> >
> >
> > You're not very good at this! Are you?
> >
> >
> > Third Question:
> > Very tricky math! Note: This must be done in your head only.
> > Do NOT use paper and pencil or a calculator. Try it.
> >
> >
> >
> > Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30.
>Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000
> > Now add 10. What is the total?
> >
> >
> > Scroll down for answer.
> >
> >
> > Did you get 5000?
> >
> > The correct answer is actually 4100.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Don't believe it? Check with your calculator! Today is
>definitely not your day. Maybe you will get the last question right?
> >
> >
> > Fourth Question:
> > Mary's father has five daughters: 1. Nana, 2. Nene, 3. Nini,
> > 4. Nono.
> > What is the name of the fifth daughter?
> >
> >
> >
> > Answer: Nunu?
> >
> >
> > NO! Of course not.
> > Her name is Mary. Read the question again
> >
> >
> > Okay, now the bonus round:
> > There is a mute person who wants to buy a toothbrush. By
>imitating the action of brushing one's teeth he successfully
> > expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is
> > done.
> >
> > Now if there is a blind man who wishes to buy a pair of
> > sunglasses, how should he express himself?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > He just has to open his mouth and ask, so simple.
> >
> >
> > KEEP THIS GOING TO FRUSTRATE THE
> >
> > SMART PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE!
>
>
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Stauffenberg » Wed 05 Jan 2005, 13:44:55

TrueKaiser wrote:i voted for kerry and as for tounge and cheek i recomend using [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags.

Bah. Just another Caesar pawing at the throne of St. Abraham.
Here lies a toppled God;
His fall was not a small one
We did but build his pedestal
A narrow and a tall one.

- Teilaxu Epigram, "Dune Messiah"
Stauffenberg
Wood
Wood

Return to Peak Oil Discussion