Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Average gas usage

Unread postby tmazanec1 » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 09:42:43

Could someone tell me the number N where
N=(gallons of gas used in US per day/number of vehicles in US)?
tmazanec1
Coal
Coal

Re: US Administration likes high gasoline prices

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:57:50

Maybe Obama respects the intelligence of the American people, and is hesitant to deliver impossible promises? Nah. He's a Muslim. 8O
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby BasilBoy » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:00:30

careinke wrote:Higher gasoline prices will throw us into another recession, and disproportionally hit the poor, just like it did in 2008. Whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing, is up for debate. It does however point out that both parties are the same, controlled by rich corporate interests.

Yes, I totally agree. The plane lost an engine and we now have to try to land her safely. There is no easy solution but same ol' same ol' definitely isn't it...
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:06:48

I thought it was the evil speculators and environmentalists that are driving up gasoline prices? Now you tell me it is the evil corporations? my head is spinning. who to believe? wait! i get it! it's anything but peak oil. tnx.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:07:26

Keystone XL seen raising gas prices in U.S. Midwest
TransCanada Corp.’s Keystone XL oil pipeline, a project backers including Republican Presidential candidate Rick Santorum say will create cheaper U.S. gasoline, instead risks raising prices as much as 20 U.S. cents a gallon in the Midwest, Great Plains and Rocky Mountains.

The line would create a new way to carry Canadian imports outside the Midwest and reduce an oil surplus that’s depressing prices in the central U.S.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:31:30

Obama said he wanted higher gas prices in 2008. He even introduced a "tax and cap" program for carbon when he took office in 2009 designed to raise energy prices (although the Congress wouldn't pass it).

It should come as no surprise that Obama wants higher gas prices. Thats a key part of his energy policy.

But if gas prices go so high that Obama's poll numbers start going south, look for him to pump oil from the strategic petroleum reserve to temporarily lower gas prices at the pump during the summer just before the election---.
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BasilBoy » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:54:35

pstarr wrote:I thought it was the evil speculators and environmentalists that are driving up gasoline prices? Now you tell me it is the evil corporations? my head is spinning. who to believe? wait! i get it! it's anything but peak oil. tnx.

I know you were addressing another poster but corporations aren't driving up gasoline prices. Big oil corporations actually want lower prices so that we keep guzzling their product (that's why they lobbied congress for lower prices). We know that artificially low prices force consumption (which forces growth) and that's why Americans are such big consumers. The price of just about everything is artificially low. Such a tactic works (look what we've built) but it is not sustainable. We're about to see the consequences of such a short-sighted plan...
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby BasilBoy » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 13:13:37

vision-master wrote:Ok.............. What's the problem then?

Sorry, but I don't understand the message in the photo or your question...
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 13:42:35

rockdoc123 wrote:If true it seems to demonstrate the Obama admin just doesn't understand what the average American is thinking.

Understands perfectly.
Does not care.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 13:50:56

AgentR11 wrote:
rockdoc123 wrote:If true it seems to demonstrate the Obama admin just doesn't understand what the average American is thinking.

Understands perfectly.
Does not care.

And will pretend to understand and care a lot more by election day. 8)
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby seahorse3 » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 18:28:49

In theory, high prices will cause the transition to a new fuel source, so, let's roll.
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Gasoline Prices USA Pt. 2

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 19:50:32

seahorse3 wrote:In theory, high prices will cause the transition to a new fuel source, so, let's roll.

Or the reversion to a previous one!
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 21:13:24

well, again, I'm not an average American or even an American but I am having a hard time believing that the average American would actually appreciate increasing pump prices.

Perhaps you 'mericans need to explain to this Caledonian transplant what the average American really is.
I can tell you one thing from my own observations is that he is neither a high-minded environmentalist who sees his role in saving the world through personal sacrifice, nor is he an ignorant hillbilly as suggested by one dimwit here. For the most part I suspect the average American is someone who is attempting to get by in trying times. They support a family, they may or may not struggle to do so. They are concerned first and foremost with making sure they have food, clothing, shelter, a job to help provide those and means of transportation to get to that job. Increasing fuel prices are bottom line to them. They can't afford to have higher ideals.

But again, perhaps I am completely wrong and wait instruction.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 21:26:35

rockdoc123 wrote:Perhaps you 'mericans need to explain to this Caledonian transplant what the average American really is.

The average American doesn't really exist or is irrelevant. It's like judging a place by the average weather - the average hardly ever happens, its either rainy or sunny. There are factions and belief systems and the politicians job at the national level is to triangulate. Even Rick Perry spoke for a faction
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 22:40:19

pstarr wrote:Maybe Obama respects the intelligence of the American people, and is hesitant to deliver impossible promises? Nah. He's a Muslim. 8O

USA obviously could lower the price of oil by making other oil buyers poorer or dead, or by taxing oil producers. Oil price can be regulated with missiles quite easily.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BasilBoy » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 23:04:48

dinopello wrote:
rockdoc123 wrote:Perhaps you 'mericans need to explain to this Caledonian transplant what the average American really is.

The average American doesn't really exist or is irrelevant. It's like judging a place by the average weather - the average hardly ever happens, its either rainy or sunny. There are factions and belief systems and the politicians job at the national level is to triangulate. Even Rick Perry spoke for a faction

Perhaps a more appropriate term is a normal American. Norms certainly exist and the normal American is one that works some ^%#$ job that contributes to trying to keep this house of cards afloat. Some make more money than others but most jobs aren't actually working towards a solution. Rather, they're part of the problem. These normal Americans don't have time to understand what's going on and are often too tired from work that they just throw on the TV and watch the corporate propaganda. They know high gas prices will make their lives more difficult, so they assume high oil prices are bad. If they read that the current President is responsible and they want to exercise their useless right to vote...they just might get off their armchair and vote for any opponent. They then feel like they've helped contribute to a solution when all that they've done is nothing...
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 23:10:32

pstarr wrote:Maybe Obama ....is hesitant to deliver impossible promises? Nah. He's a Muslim.

Nah...Obama can pander with best of them.

After all, he spent much of the 2008 campaign promising to lower gasoline prices. Since Obama campaigned in 2008 by promising to lower the price of gasoline, surely its fair for his opponents to point out that gas prices have instead doubled since Obama took office. 8)

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:45:11

Plant, I have no recollection that Obama "spent much of the 2008 campaign promising lower gasoline prices." References please?

The EIA just concluded that high oil prices are a function of the supply/demand equation, in particular troubles in Syria and Sudan (?) So as the EIA is an Executive Branch adjunct, and at least under the titular authority of Obama, I suppose it is reasonable to conclude that the Obama and his Evil Democrats are guilty of the supreme evil; the TRUTH.

I get so tired of the YAP CLASS blaming anything but peak oil. But It seems we can now discount previous responsible parties; Keystone Pipeline Hippies, Iran, Evil Speculators, fear of an iranian/israeli war, Corrupt Oil Companies, Spineless Environmentalists, Liberal who hate our freedom, et. al. and consider truth. we are burning through our precious oil. How refreshing!
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:52:45

In 2008 while campaigning against high gas prices, Obama boasted about being " the president who will free this nation from the tyranny of oil once and for all.”

Obama read those words from his teleprompter in 2008 with great feeling, but he has utterly failed to deliver on his teleprompter's promises. The tyranny of oil remains in place and today, instead of talking about freeing the US from oil, Obama now boasts about the increasing oil production in North Dakota. 8)
Last edited by Plantagenet on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:14:48

Plantagenet wrote:In 2008 Obama boasted about being " the president who will free this nation from the tyranny of oil once and for all.”

Obama read those words from his teleprompter with great feeling, but he has failed to deliver on his teleprompter's promises. 8)
that was a campaign speech, he didn't say it as you quoted it. Go look it up, or better yet; have one of your fellow republican-operative interns look it up.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion