Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

No transit of Russian gas through Ukraine by 2019

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

No transit of Russian gas through Ukraine by 2019

Unread postby dissident » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 08:56:49

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/ ... -2019.html

Gazprom and the Turkish company Botas Petroleum Pipeline Corporation have confirmed their intention to pump the initial shipment of natural gas into Turkey through the new pipeline in December 2016. The bilateral agreement will be signed before the end of the second quarter of 2015. These latest negotiations to get “Turkish Stream” up and running is a clear signal to the European Union that Gazprom’s southern detour is being developed in with an eye toward the future. And there is no Ukraine in that future.

But the morons in Brussels are pretending it's all a bluff. They need to put the crack pipe down and be develop the necessary infrastructure to receive this gas. Otherwise there will be a massive shortage of gas in the EU before 2020.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: No transit of Russian gas through Ukraine by 2019

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 10:42:34

I don't have all the pieces of the puzzle lined up so just a guess. In the short term the EU wants to keep the transit NG thru the Ukraine operational. In the longer term the may be very happy to see the Ukraine roll in its supply chain diminished. At that point in time the fate of the Ukraine may be of little concern to the EU.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 15:11:37

ROCKMAN wrote:I don't have all the pieces of the puzzle lined up so just a guess. In the short term the EU wants to keep the transit NG thru the Ukraine operational. In the longer term the may be very happy to see the Ukraine roll in its supply chain diminished. At that point in time the fate of the Ukraine may be of little concern to the EU.

I can see the stellar intellects in Brussels dragging their heels on getting the infrastructure ready in order to force Russia to ship through Ukraine. Russia has been sending the message loud and clear that it will not have its schedule twisted this way, but the hubris in Brussels knows no bounds.

A key detail in the article is that Turkish Stream will be online at the end of 2016. So 2019 is not the date that Brussels should be waiting for while it does nothing.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 17:08:14

dissident wrote:I can see the stellar intellects in Brussels dragging their heels on getting the infrastructure ready in order to force Russia to ship through Ukraine. Russia has been sending the message loud and clear that it will not have its schedule twisted this way, but the hubris in Brussels knows no bounds.
A key detail in the article is that Turkish Stream will be online at the end of 2016. So 2019 is not the date that Brussels should be waiting for while it does nothing.

Ah... but Russia has "terrorists". In fact, if I recall correctly, Ukraine has very much tried to penetrate Russia with recon & sabotage groups... .whose to say a Right Sector loon or two might feel self motivated to destroy some or all the transit points leading into UA to flow to EU; EU will have really stuck it to UA by 2018 so a desire for vengeance is certainly realistic. .. and of course we all know how amazingly bureaucratic Russia can be with permitting any type of economically useful (profitable, where's my cut) construction, heck, the paper work for the repair alone might take till 2025...

After all, we convinced them that Russia would surely collapse under the weight of sanctions, maybe it just needs a little help? Anyone stupid enough to march under one of those Nazi flags in front of a camera is plenty stupid enough to be capable of such a thing.

So, if say, a Spetnaz guy were to grab a UA patch and a wolfangel or two, set some explosives and slip away into the night; how would we ever demonstrate it wasn't an RS/Azov nutbar? If Russians are as evil as we propagandize them to be, such an act is not only conceivable; it should be considered absolutely guaranteed.

EU should be well warned. Gas flow through UA is likely over on that date, whether the EU is set to receive from Turkey, or not. I suspect they'll drag their feet, then panic and build half the capacity they could have for twice the price.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 17:09:32

As I understand it Iran also wants this deal to go forward because building a new export line to either parallel or commingle with the GAZPROM line through Turkey would be much easier/cheaper than making their own exclusive deal with Turkey.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby sparky » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 20:08:13

However one cut it , it seems Turkey , already a big player in hydrocarbons transit is going to become the very hub of European energy ,
that's for a third of Russian gas , gas and oil from Azerbaijan , some of the huge reserves from Turkestan if they can be prized off from China , Iran has the potential , if the politics play out ( big if )
even the biggest producer of LNG ,Qatar, could connect to the new spider web of this pipelinistan.
the result would be a flood of energy for Turkey , transit rights are often taken in nature as gas or oil ,
in fact there would be so much , they might have to take cash .
the most developed Turkish construction companies would make a motza too , all along the lines

the Turkish government is pretty independent minded those days , and it has the military might to negotiate with it's close neighbours .

Something to watch ..... how the relations with Europe play itself out ?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:00:48

T - I be just across the way from Turkey in Athens at the end of April hanging with some locals. I know they've been paying close attention to the energy vistas of Turkey so it will be interesting to hear their thoughts. I'll also briefly transit thru Istanbul and try to pick up some grass roots thoughts on the subject. I do like to hang out in local bars for local flavor. In this case it will probably be coffee bars. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Tue 07 Apr 2015, 21:10:49

A man after my own heart , I always seems to end up in the "colourful" parts of a foreign city ,
there is the bridge across the Bosporus linking Europe and Asia , very symbolic ,a must see
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 08 Apr 2015, 07:52:24

sparky - It will be an interesting mixed bag of encounters from US embassy personnel (my daughter's co-workers), the affluent on an island hopping cruise, old farts sitting in a café milking their one cup of expresso per day and cabbie, one of my favorite types to hang with...never met one that didn't have a strong opinion on EVERYTHING. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Tue 14 Apr 2015, 18:40:28

http://lenta.ru/news/2015/04/13/threaten/

Gazprom has threatened to cut off gas supplies to any countries that want to sabotage Turkish Stream.

According to Miller South Stream was sabotaged to keep Ukraine a transit country. This will not be tolerated for Turkish Stream. So Gazprom will complete the pipeline to the EU border and then wait for the EU to make up its mind. Implicit in this is that the EU will have no gas until it gets its act together.

Looks like the EU is trying to pressure Gazprom to keep the Ukraine route open. I guess the EU will have to learn the hard way whose gas is involved.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Tue 14 Apr 2015, 22:23:25

Here is an opinion piece in English highlighting the new approach:

http://tass.ru/en/opinions/789287
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby fleance » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 00:18:48

It seems that Russia are building stronger relationship with their ally China. Since, they are considering China to be gas carrier too.
fleance
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 00:46:32

dissident wrote:http://lenta.ru/news/2015/04/13/threaten/

Gazprom has threatened to cut off gas supplies to any countries that want to sabotage Turkish Stream.

According to Miller South Stream was sabotaged to keep Ukraine a transit country. This will not be tolerated for Turkish Stream. So Gazprom will complete the pipeline to the EU border and then wait for the EU to make up its mind. Implicit in this is that the EU will have no gas until it gets its act together.

Looks like the EU is trying to pressure Gazprom to keep the Ukraine route open. I guess the EU will have to learn the hard way whose gas is involved.

How much of the European demand could be supplied by North Stream which is underused?

The South Stream issue was that Russia and a few EU members pursued a strategy that was not within the EU law, then came the brutal warning shot from Brussel. That's life.

BTW Russia has to sell NG, therefore, her bargain power is still quite limited.
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 01:31:19

Ulenspiegel wrote:The South Stream issue was that Russia and a few EU members pursued a strategy that was not within the EU law, then came the brutal warning shot from Brussel. That's life.

True enough. But that does not imply that Russia has to sell their gas to the EU. Russia's response is apparently that if the EU wants to buy Russian gas, they can buy it through pathways that do not cross Ukraine. Russia's even being nice about telling the EU where additional gas will be available in 2019. Yall have plenty of time to build pipelines to Turkey, if you want to buy Russian gas. So, its really up to the EU now as to whether they want to buy from/via Turkey or bring in LNG from Yamal or East Texas (hopefully for a hideously wonderful premium of course) or wherever else. (I was studying up on Yamal last week, that's been a pretty cool project so far, and Global Warming will only further enhance its value).

I'm pretty sure the Russians mean it. Russian gas will not transit Ukraine in 2019. Yall don't pay enough of a premium to make putting up with Ukrainian behavior worth it. From the Russian Federal POV.

Honestly, I'd be completely unsurprised if Putin made it physically impossible to ship gas via Ukraine in and after 2019. A little Chechen terrorism and a lot of Russian bureaucracy, EZ-PZ. Chechen's are crazy enough to think they know what's best for Russia, even if Putin only casually suggests such a thing while fishing shirtless with his buddies. Or maybe even an "unsuccessful" demonstration in 2017, early 2018?

BTW Russia has to sell NG, therefore, her bargain power is still quite limited.

1. Assertion not in evidence. NO they do NOT have to sell it. They can burn it, vent it, cap it, make fertilizer out of it, etc. Free market requires a willing buyer *AND* a willing seller. Absent the willing seller, there is no sale. The problem here is that the buyer doesn't understand what the seller wants and thinks its just a matter of paying the right number of Euros. Its gone beyond that now. Things have degraded to the point that the seller will accept a (much) lower number of Euros as long as it is Euros-without-Drama. (or in this case renminbi without drama! lol)

2. They will be able to sell it to someone else. The links to the fields that currently feed the EU will also feed to China by then. If China can get an excellent discount in the process in exchange for zero-drama, that's win-win for China and Russia. Of course, that'll reduce China Inc cost basis, and radically increase EU manufacturing cost basis.. Not so good if you care about your manufacturing goods competing in the world market.

nb... To NATO trolls, I dislike Russia and Ukraine equally strongly. I'm seriously disappointed that we've compromised easy European energy security over the corrupt, racist, inefficient mud flat known as Ukraine, while in the process of failing to acquire Sevastopol for my future retirement sailing excursions. I mean seriously, look at any picture of that beautiful port and note the serious NON_EXISTENCE of sailboats on the water; its a crime against humanity.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 02:07:58

Russia has made a deal with Greece to pay them in advance on the profits of running the gas from Turkey through Greece.

Tsipras and his Energy Minister Panagiotis Lafazanis reportedly signed a “memorandum of cooperation” with Gazprom and the Russian government to help with a pipeline to Turkey that will diversify natural gas shipments to Europe away from Ukraine. Greece will be a transit hub.

Tsipras was in Russia last week and photographed by reporters shaking hands with Russian president Vladimir Putin, announcing pledges to tilt Athens a wee bit more towards Moscow than Berlin. Part of that promise includes allowing Russian natural gas pipelines to connect to Europe via Greece in what was once dubbed the South Stream project. This is more of a real estate and political deal than an investment, as Greece is hardly a capital player in today’s market. Greece might not look like the perfect ally, but its geographic location will help Turkey and Russia gas companies get their goods to Europe.

link

And gives Greece control over the gas transiting to Europe. I'm sure that gave Tsipras and Putin a good chuckle.

There is often great humor and irony in geopolitics. Hey Germany, want to be warm in winter, how about those reparations. :lol:
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Strummer » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 03:30:05

Cid_Yama wrote:Hey Germany, want to be warm in winter, how about those reparations. :lol:

The ultimate irony is that Germany has enough spare capacity in the North Stream, so it's the other European (mainly Central Europe) countries that are f*cked.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 03:54:58

AgentR11,

you first have to analyse the basic strategic situation, and then to check your assumption with hard data.

The Russian export depends to 80% on oil and gas, there are no alternatives for income, the situation even has worsened the last years. Pipelines, that were build with Russian money too, chain the producer to certain customers, no short term fix possible. This is the working model of strategic papers on this topic.

What are the observations? During the last years, larger industrial contracts of Russian suppliers with (German) customers were modified in favour of the customers, i.e. the Russian bargain power was reduced, as predcited by experts around 2005.

And in most cases the impact of increasing volume of LNG was not included in the projections, of course this development does not improve the Russian position. This means for example that each nuclear rector that goes online again in Japan (and reduces NG imports) hurts Russia as the globally available volume of LNG increases.

The basic weakness of Russia is that it can only hurt Europe by cutting very deep into her own flesh, possible but IMHO quite unlikely when the Russian economy is already expected to shrink by 5% without such a move.

And onces again, check the capacity of North Stream and what is actually used.
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 03:59:06

Strummer wrote:
Cid_Yama wrote:Hey Germany, want to be warm in winter, how about those reparations. :lol:

The ultimate irony is that Germany has enough spare capacity in the North Stream, so it's the other European (mainly Central Europe) countries that are f*cked.

Destroying Cid's wet dreams with hard facts is really mean.
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 04:43:14

No, he is correct. Leverage against Germany would be dependent on Russian acquiescence, either way. But, Russia may be unhappy with Germany for a variety of reasons, I can readily think of a couple offhand. So Russia may find it ... convenient ... to use Greece's claims, to express it's displeasure. Especially since it has other ready customers for the gas, and Greece would allow it to transit gas to the rest of Europe without going through Germany.

You are incorrect as to alternatives for Russian income; i.e. China's contracts for a variety of resources, and impending infrastructure projects across Eurasia, as well as your being EXTREMELY optimistic about prospects for LNG.

China's consumption of Russian gas is limited only by it's current pipeline capacity, and that is being rectified.

Russia has weaned itself from Europe by way of the sanctions that were supposed to hurt them.

Russia no longer needs Europe. But Germany needs Russia. And Merkel wants to be part of the new Eurasia.

The lines of power have shifted. Within 3 years the infrastructure will be in place. Germany can join the new, or wither with the old. I believe Germany has already made it's decision to look to the East.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 07:43:20

Get a little bit hard data on the producer of equipment for industry (this includes oil and NG), then you may revise your opinion. Russia is a country with the GDP of Italy and severe structural issues, limited access to modern western technology really hurts BAU and especially transition to a more diverse economy.

LNG is an additional factor, that was usually not on the screen ten years ago, it is not a silver bullet, but does not improve the Russian position.

The Chinese pay much less for the Russian NG than the Europeans, really smart move of the Russians to create many stranded assets in order to get less for their gas. Hint: many infrastructure was partially paid by Russian companies.

Long-term POV: the real elephant in the room is efficiency. 2% annual reduction of german NG imports would mean what? Here you should get a feeling for different options.

Your eastward orientation of Merkel is one of your pipedreams, please get real. She has labeled Putin as not being rational and is one main driving force for longer sanctions.
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion