Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tourists are Killing the Planet

Re: Tourists are Killing the Planet

Unread postby clif » Tue 01 Oct 2019, 21:09:54

Your reasoning was that somehow "international" flights meant "private jet" flights.

Please show me where I said EXACTLY that

your trying as usual mix up and make statements that do NOT reflect what others said

BTW many people own private jets not just the people you claim to work for.... which is the reason I used jeffy epstein as an example

You would have serious problems at an airport if you had to figure out the big boards I'm afraid.

Funny i never had any problems whether traveling for the US military nor as a private citizen, so as usual yer "figgering" does not fit reality.

1% of people take 20% of International (commercial and private combined) flights......

enjoy......
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 01 Oct 2019, 22:56:27

Please show me where I said EXACTLY that

how about here:
yer also conflating "commercial" flights for holiday vs people who like Jeffery Epstein OWN their plane and can fly at will, which is why the term "international" was used not the term "commercial".

here you are clearing inferring that International is the opposite of commercial. Did you not actually realize that commercial jets fly international flights as well as within the UK? Do you actually think that only private jets fly "international"? But perhaps English is a second language for you.

BTW many people own private jets not just the people you claim to work for.... which is the reason I used jeffy epstein as an example

what is the point of a nonsensical statement like that? Do you have the numbers? Do you actually know how many private flights there were versus regional flights to Europe? Do you have the number of people that entailed? No, apparently not. When you do get back to us.

1% of people take 20% of International (commercial and private combined) flights....

keep saying it, it does nothing to prove your claim although for some weird reason you think it does. If you want to argue with the numbers I posted above go ahead but if you can't bring any data to the discussion and just want to keep repeating yourself please do us all a favor and stop.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby clif » Wed 02 Oct 2019, 01:13:25

here you are clearing inferring that International is the opposite of commercial.

NO I was not.

I was clearly stating the term international was used, so as to not limit the flights counted as JUST commercial flights, but also count private flights also. You always only see what YOU want to see so you can use it to twist others words.

nice to see how you try to FORCE others comments into your strawman arguments so you can be right all the time.

as for all the rest of what you demand others do FOR you, get off yer dead ass and do yer own work.

the guardian stated what they stated and if that burns yer butt,

YOU do all the work to dredge up the needed proof they are wrong,

they still said PLAINLY;

1% of people take 20% of International (commercial and private combined) flights .....
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 02 Oct 2019, 04:56:42

Interesting.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49890057

The Swedish concept of "flygskam" or "flight shame" appears to be spreading.

One in five of the people surveyed had cut the number of flights they took over the last year because of the impact on the climate.

UBS said the expected growth in passenger numbers could be halved if these trends were borne out.

Global air travel has grown by between 4% and 5% a year, UBS said, meaning the overall numbers are doubling every 15 years.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 02 Oct 2019, 13:36:49

I was clearly stating the term international was used, so as to not limit the flights counted as JUST commercial flights, but also count private flights also.

OK....I hope you understand that makes absolutely zero sense in the context of what you said. Be specific in what you mean...abusing the English language is not something to be proud of.

they still said PLAINLY;

1% of people take 20% of International (commercial and private combined) flights .....

OK apparently you aren't bright enough to understand 1% people taking 20% of international flights does not mean "the very rich who own private jets are taking 20% of all international flights". Show me in that article where it mentions rich people flying on private jets anywhere. It doesn't. You just made this up as a defence of your original claim that "the 1% don't fly in cattle cars". As I said they are not referring to "the 1%" but simply a statistic.

My point is based on direct observation, statistics that I've shown regarding the frequency of total flights and length of stay plus rationale based on the sort of time/benefit costs analysis a normal person who wants to go on regular trips to nice warm spots would do. Yours is based on zero data and an interpretation of the press piece that involves nothing more than a misinterpretation of what was written.

If you can explain how you get from 1% of people taking 20% of International to it meaning that it is rich people taking private planes that makes up all of the 1% of people then have at it. Generally when you propose something you back it up with evidence/data etc. Otherwise, you are simply babbling nonsense.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Wed 20 Nov 2019, 12:16:04

The best guess is that 6% of people in the world have flown, so that means that the other 94% have never flown.

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-plane ... 180957719/

That 6% produce the 2.5% of CO2 that air travel represents.

This tells me a couple of things. First, we could easily eliminate air travel, and only those 6% would mind.

Also, it's not that big a share of the total CO2, so maybe concentrate on the low hanging fruit, which is the individual car.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 12:57:47

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-covid-19

1% of people cause half of global aviation emissions
– study

Exclusive: Researchers say Covid-19 hiatus is moment to tackle elite ‘super emitters’
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 13:19:35

dohboi wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/17/people-cause-global-aviation-emissions-study-covid-19

1% of people cause half of global aviation emissions
– study

Exclusive: Researchers say Covid-19 hiatus is moment to tackle elite ‘super emitters’

Do you really think super emitters like Obama and Al Gore and Donald Trump are going to give up their private jet flights?

Dream on........... :-D 8) :lol: :P :roll:

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 13:36:47

People who have too many kids are killing the planet, not tourists!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby REAL Green » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 14:08:37

JuanP wrote:People who have too many kids are killing the planet, not tourists!

People who live in Miami Beach are killing the planet too. That means you, JuanP.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 14:44:36

P, I think you should set an example yourself by giving up your jet setting ways

I'm sure Obama and the rest would be so immediately impressed that they would cancel all future flights!! :) :) :)

In the mean time, your attacks look a bit like throwing stones while in a glass house...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 18:15:55

dohboi wrote:P, I think you should set an example yourself by giving up your jet setting ways

Like many many people I have given up travel, Doh. Travel is down 50-90% right now.

I guess you haven't noticed Doh....but we're in a pandemic now.

Its impossible for most people to travel to most places because of restrictions on travel.......for instance my state of Alaska requires all travelers to quarantine for two weeks when they get to the state....and many other places have similar restrictions. And then when you get there many places are in lockdown.

But of course that won't slow down the uber-rich who travel only by private jet.....like Donald Trump, Barack Obama, Al Gore etc. etc. Such folks are very very good at skating around the rules.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 18:28:50

Most of what the United States has been doing in space since the last Apollo mission in December 1972 is not, by this definition, exploration. Repetitive shuttle flights and sequential stays aboard the International Space Station certainly have value, but, as the National Academies study suggested, perhaps not enough fully to justify their costs. But since President George W. Bush in 2004 announced “a new plan to explore space and extend a human presence across our solar system,” the United States, however fitfully, has been preparing to resume human exploration of the Moon and beyond. In December 2017 President Trump signed a directive calling on NASA to “lead an innovative and sustainable program of exploration with commercial and international partners to enable human expansion across the solar system.”

And Outer Space, too.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate