Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Western Media Is Dying and Here’s Why

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: The Western Media Is Dying and Here’s Why

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 17 Jul 2020, 08:18:49

asg70 wrote:
sparky wrote:the whole thing is a set up to make Trump look bad

Don't blame the messenger. Trump creates news that make him look bad. The MSM merely reports on it.

Trump's approval ratings are not tanking due to MSM spin.

Malarky of the first order right there ^^^^

In this reality editorial board decide what the news emphasizes or even bothers to report at all. When a D president or other politician does anything the action is either glowingly reported as a "good thing" or ignored if it is suspected of being an action which voters will disapprove of. When an R president or politician follows the exact same action the reporting will be almost universally couched in terms that either denigrate the action if it will make that politician look good to the voters or completely ignored if possible and if the action is deemed as harmful to the political reputation it will be emphasized to the greatest degree possible.

Pretending this bias filter doesn't exist is simply being blind to how our national politics work in the 21st century.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 17 Jul 2020, 09:30:29

Tanada wrote:In this reality editorial board decide what the news emphasizes

Come on, man. I'd say if CNN or MSNBC decides to report on Trump saying we should ingest bleach it's suitably newsworthy despite the fact it makes Trump look bad. If anything, NOT to report on Trump's self-immolation would be irresponsible. That's not to say the liberal news outlets aren't out to get Trump, but Trump hands them every bit of ammo they use. I'd say maybe 90-95% of Trump's scandals are really not open for interpretation. They are objectively bad moves and only brainwashed MAGA types could think otherwise.

When it comes to editorial board emphasis, yes, that IS a thing, though. Just pull out a notepad and take mention of how many stories on NPR revolve around LGBT, racism, or MeToo vs. any other topic. News outlets know their target demographics. But presidential news is universal.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 17 Jul 2020, 10:51:54

sparky wrote:
the whole thing is a set up to make Trump look bad

Oh, come on now. Trump looks bad anyway you look at him. His MAGA people must see their self-image in him.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 17 Jul 2020, 15:22:06

asg70 wrote:
Tanada wrote:In this reality editorial board decide what the news emphasizes

Come on, man. I'd say if CNN or MSNBC decides to report on Trump saying we should ingest bleach it's suitably newsworthy despite the fact it makes Trump look bad. If anything, NOT to report on Trump's self-immolation would be irresponsible. That's not to say the liberal news outlets aren't out to get Trump, but Trump hands them every bit of ammo they use. I'd say maybe 90-95% of Trump's scandals are really not open for interpretation. They are objectively bad moves and only brainwashed MAGA types could think otherwise.

When it comes to editorial board emphasis, yes, that IS a thing, though. Just pull out a notepad and take mention of how many stories on NPR revolve around LGBT, racism, or MeToo vs. any other topic. News outlets know their target demographics. But presidential news is universal.

Back the bias truck up my friend, that story about the cleaning chemicals is nearly as fictitious as the "Russians allied with Trump to steal the election". A flippin idiot decided that fish tank cleaner was "close enough" to a drug name mentioned in a news conference so she not only took it herself, she got her husband to take it as well. Her husband died and her reaction was to blame President Trump for talking about a prescription medication that is prescribed by doctors to patients by those medical experts. The President never said everyone should just go out and take without medical supervision any chemical that sounded like the prescription medication. Yet somehow the media did such a good job of telling this idiot woman's story sympathetically that you have come to believe President Trump was recommending people en masse should all go swallow fish tank chemicals on their own, yet somehow only this one woman did so and we got lucky half the country didn't poison themselves?

Take a step back and think about how ludicrous that accusation is? I watched the press conference where hydroxychloriquine was first discussed and the news coverage over the next week or so when the woman poisoned her husband but blamed the President. So far as I can tell the woman is guilty of first degree manslaughter or worse in the death of her husband, but once it became a media scare story about the President that all just dissipated into the ether.

New Revelations About Woman Who Accidentally Poisoned Her Husband to Death with Fish Tank Cleaner Raises Eyebrows

Published March 31, 2020 at 3:47pm
A couple weeks ago President Trump announced a new medical treatment that includes malaria drug hydroxychloroquine and Z-pac cocktail to battle the Coronavirus.

Last Monday it was reported that a 68-year-old man died after ingesting chloroquine.

Only he didn’t ingest chloroquine — his wife fed him fish tank cleaner and he was poisoned to death.

The woman told NBC last week how she came up with the great idea for her and her husband to ingest fish tank cleaner as a preventative measure: “I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, ‘Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV?’”

The woman said she poured a teaspoon of the fish tank cleaner into their sodas and dialed 911 after they both began to feel sick.

The woman. who was initially in critical condition survived, but her husband died.

As always, there is more to the story about the woman who fed her husband fish tank cleaner.

Techno Fog obtained court records showing the wife who fed her husband fish tank cleaner (poison?) has a history of mental illness (paranoia, depression) and had considered divorcing her husband as far back as 2012.

LINKY

Yet somehow the MSM gave this woman a free pass because it was a story that could be used to make an R politician look bad. If President Obama or President Clinton had given the exact same statements in a news conference and the same woman had poisoned her husband blaming the President can you honestly say the media would have trumpted the story for weeks claiming it was all the Presidents fault?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 17 Jul 2020, 16:06:22

I don't think they are dying because they seemed to have arisen from the dead.

Even National Inquirer would be no competition to the current online media.

I think they're being fed good material by the occupants, and supporters, of our White House.

I haven't heard comedy in a while. It must also be a blast.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 17 Jul 2020, 22:14:59

Tanada wrote:the news coverage over the next week or so when the woman poisoned her husband but blamed the President.

You're blame-shifting, Tanada. Trump never should have said what he said to begin with, just as he never should have promoted the bogus drug. That's the key point. The president sets the tone. People take his lead, both the proles AND dittohead governors like the a-hole in Georgia suing Atlanta's mayor to prevent mask mandates. All of what Trump is doing is newsworthy and deserves coverage. I don't see how the media is doing anything but its job. And as Trump moves more and more towards being an autocrat, like covering up stats by yanking them out of the CDC, the media is that much more important to hold his feet to the fire.

And mind you, that's just one of countless scandals. I didn't even mention Russian Bounty-Gate, for instance, which deserves a full investigation in and of itself.

As far as Obama goes, the right-wing media spent a lot of its effort trying to delegitimize him, thanks in part to things like Trump's own birth certificate nonsense. But you can't just look at how much heat a president gets in isolation. You have to look at WHY a president is getting media heat and how much of it is because of his own scandal machine vs. bias. The bias argument, though, has been this hoary thing that goes at least as far back as the early days of Rush Limbaugh as a convenient scapegoat and it's just really tiresome. The left-leaning media bash the republicans, but they mostly do so by hoisting them on their own petards. Rarely if ever do they manufacture something out of thin air. The right usually just resort to bullying, slander, conspiracy theories and other cheap fearmongering tactics.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 18 Jul 2020, 01:10:15

+1 asg70
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 19 Jul 2020, 23:33:31

Media corporations owned by Wall Street which funds both sides of what is essentially the same coin.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 20 Jul 2020, 09:14:55

ralfy wrote:Media corporations owned by Wall Street which funds both sides of what is essentially the same coin.

This needs to be a major platform of an independent party and be well understood in order to unify the disenfranchised currently on opposite sides of the political divide.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 20 Jul 2020, 10:53:23

ralfy wrote:Media corporations owned by Wall Street which funds both sides of what is essentially the same coin.

Incomplete analysis.

That those who own the media companies want to make money is true, but it's HOW they make money off of news that matters. The way you make money off of news is by creating strong emotions to drive engagement and hence sell ads (by the looks of it, mostly for prescription drugs). Sensationalism. It used to be that there was a hard line between the sensationalism of tabloid news and the serious buttoned down journalism of the Woodward Bernstein and Walter Cronkite era. That line started blurring when CNN started having to fill 24/7 of content and when AM talk changed the definition of news over to all-editorial-opinion all-the-time.

I'd say 90% of what passes for news is in some shape or form 'activist', whether it's trying to spin things left or right. This has become so much the norm that nobody questions it anymore. We just pick our chosen interpreter for the news who frames things in a way that suits us.

What I'd say is the closest to the old "just the facts" news would be the ABC Nightly News with David Muir. I also like the last word with Brian Williams. Williams does have a left spin but he sticks to the facts and engages great with guests. Once you get to "personalities" like Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, they are just serving up rants. Even when I agree with them, I don't classify what they're doing as "news".

Your tired insinuation that both sides are the same, though, that's untrue. Both sides couldn't be more polar opposites right now. If neither of them are doing what you want, that doesn't invalidate their differences. It just means there's more than just a duality of ideology.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 20 Jul 2020, 11:35:04

asg70 wrote:
Your tired insinuation that both sides are the same, though, that's untrue. Both sides couldn't be more polar opposites right now. If neither of them are doing what you want, that doesn't invalidate their differences. It just means there's more than just a duality of ideology.

I agree that they are not the same and you cannot apply moral equivalency to the current administration that has gone authoritarian rogue.

On the other hand both parties have until today both really pledged their allegiance to an economic system that rewards share holder value at the expense of the middle class. In that sense they are the same.

And within 6 months of Biden winning the presidency Trump and his gulag goons will be long forgotten and the entrenched part of the Democratic Party establishment will be under fire exactly because of the egregious similarities of the elite of both parties wanting to preserve the social inequities in order to preserve their privilege.

This is not some rant against the rich. Believe me , I know then all to well
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 20 Jul 2020, 12:34:43

Ibon wrote:both parties have until today both really pledged their allegiance to an economic system that rewards share holder value at the expense of the middle class.

Disagree. It's the democrats, for instance, that keep trying to prevent the republicans from inserting tax breaks for the rich into each budget. Also, I'd hardly call Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren in favor of stiffing the middle-class. Biden was nominated because he was perceived to be the most electable but his sympathies skew more towards those two than trickle-down-ism.

If you want to argue that capitalism in general rewards share holder value at the expense of the middle-class, then, well, your beef is largely with the mainstream voter who has no interest in jettisoning capitalism entirely. But it's worth considering that those who DO want to jettison it are the extreme wing of the Democrats, not Republicans. So there's a clear ideological difference. Bashing the democrats for not being uniformly marxist is like bashing the republicans for not being uniformly fascist. Things exist on a continuum and they point very clearly in one direction or the other.

I mean, all you have to do is look at the things they cherish and demonize. Both parties paint a portrait of struggle between big business and the working class, only the republicans portray big business as the good guys and the democrats portray them as the bad guys. You can make a case for both, really, the robber barons and child labor of the 19th century or the failure of communism in the 20th. What tends to work best is somewhere in the middle which is not satisfying for those who are firmly rooted in one extreme viewpoint or the other. But "the middle" is where winning democrats reside, Clinton being the best example. The democrats are permanently tarred and feathered by the Carter administration and how effectively Reagan used it to brand all Democrats as weak military, tax and spend, etc... Therefore they feel it necessary to placate right-wing voters by softening their economic platform (and hardening their foreign policy). All of this really should be common sense. I hate having to point out the obvious here.

When it comes to presidential elections, ideology skews to the right on most matters. Obama was kind of a blip because the public needed a break from the neocons. But by and large the public skews right and if things tilt to the left it's only because of generational (generation snowflake) and immigrant-driven demographic shift. But the traditional voter can't really stomach the Democrats' unvarnished platform. Trump knows this which is why he's portraying the Democrats as the anti-christ. It's just an extension of the same playbook that goes back to Reagan--and it works. It shouldn't work, but it does. In the same way the US still suffers the scars of the civil war it also suffers from the scars of the recessions and stagflation under Carter. Older voters still remember and they won't drop that grudge. They'll easily forget Bush's war adventurism or any other Republican screwup, but they won't offer the same courtesy to Democrats. Those voters need to die off before that calculus changes.

Ibon wrote:the entrenched part of the Democratic Party establishment will be under fire exactly because of the egregious similarities of the elite of both parties wanting to preserve the social inequities in order to preserve their privilege.

Only under fire by the Democracy Now! marxist crowd. What you'll see more of are red states threaten to secede like they did after Obama won.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 04 Aug 2020, 22:50:34

Gallup/Knight Poll: Americans' concerns about media bias deepen, even as they see it as vital for Democracy"
https://knightfoundation.org/press/rele ... democracy/

There are some interesting poll results in the link above. Apparently most Americans agree that US MSM is biased, to one degree or another.

I think we are all biased, and flawed in our perceptions and interpretations of them. I also know that memory can play tricks on you and that I have been wrong when I was 100% certain that I was correct, so now I find myself constantly doubting my "knowledge" and drowning in the immensity of my ignorance.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Wed 05 Aug 2020, 15:00:55

JuanP wrote:Gallup/Knight Poll: Americans' concerns about media bias deepen, even as they see it as vital for Democracy"
https://knightfoundation.org/press/rele ... democracy/

There are some interesting poll results in the link above. Apparently most Americans agree that US MSM is biased, to one degree or another.

I think we are all biased, and flawed in our perceptions and interpretations of them. I also know that memory can play tricks on you and that I have been wrong when I was 100% certain that I was correct, so now I find myself constantly doubting my "knowledge" and drowning in the immensity of my ignorance.

There is a difference between bias and hate propaganda. Bias is a skew on the truth, propaganda is deliberate lying and obfuscation. I rather doubt that everyone is an agenda-driven liar.

But it is true that humans have a problem with delusions and cherry picking of facts to shore up their perception bubbles. The truth often results in cognitive dissonance and thus is rejected. But the sort of malice that the fake stream media exhibits is not normal for humans. In fact, it is the fake stream media that creates the perception bubbles.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Mon 10 Aug 2020, 21:58:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6_GuZ ... e=emb_logo

An example of how the fake stream media induces mass hysteria. The number of people who think that Covid-19 has claimed over 100 times the actual numbers is insane. This also demonstrates the low grade engagement of the average MSM consumer. They are not even properly ingesting the fake stream media spew and just react to the shading and spin.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 29 Sep 2020, 08:58:49

News from Gallup polling, more details including embedded link to survey questions and other poll parameters at the link below the article for the deep divers.

Gallup wrote:Americans' Trust in Mass Media Edges Down to 41%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans remain largely mistrustful of the mass media as 41% currently have "a great deal" or "fair amount" of trust in newspapers, television and radio to report the news "fully, accurately and fairly." This latest reading represents a four-percentage-point dip since last year and marks the end of improvements in back-to-back years after hitting an all-time low.

Although trust in the media has edged down this year, it is well above the record low of 32% in 2016 when Republicans' trust dropped precipitously and drove the overall trust reading down during the divisive presidential campaign. Republicans' trust is still at a very low level and a wide gap in views of the media among partisans persists as 69% of Democrats say they have trust and confidence in it, while 15% of Republicans and 36% of independents agree.

Trust in the Mass Media Remains Low

After hitting the low point three years ago, U.S. adults' trust in the accuracy of the mass media appeared to be rebounding -- increasing 13 points over two years. Yet, the latest reading from a Sept. 3-15 Gallup poll found levels matching those in 2017.

Gallup first measured trust in the mass media in a 1972 survey when 68% of Americans said they trusted it. Similar levels were recorded in 1974 (69%) and 1976 (72%), but two decades later, when Gallup next asked the question, trust had fallen to 53%.

Although overall trust was at the majority level until 2004, no more than 21% of Americans dating back to 1972 ever said they had the greatest level of trust. Currently, 13% have a great deal of trust, 28% a fair amount, 30% not very much and 28% none at all.
Partisans' Trust in the Mass Media Remain Widely Divergent

Americans' trust in the media has been eroding over time, but in the current highly polarized climate, the views of political partisans have become increasingly divergent. President Donald Trump's description of the media as "the enemy of the people" has undoubtedly colored the views of all Americans.

Republicans became increasingly mistrustful of the media in 2016 when Trump was campaigning for president and was sharply critical of the media's coverage of him. Between 2015 and 2016, Republican trust in the mass media fell 18 points to its historical low of 14%, where it remained in 2017. Following a seven-point boost last year, it has returned to 15%. For their part, Democrats have consistently been more trusting of the media than Republicans but rallied around the press and became even more trusting when Trump took office in 2017.

The latest data show that in the last year, trust has declined slightly among all partisan groups, but still remains sharply polarized.

Recent Gallup data showed that Republicans' trust in most specific news sources in recent years has stagnated or declined, while Democrats' has risen. Fox News is the only national news source with majority-level trust from Republicans while majorities of Democrats trust six national news sources. Likewise, data from last year's Gallup/Knight Foundation surveys found similar results and also found that Republicans were much more likely than Democrats to perceive bias, inaccuracy and misinformation in newspapers, on television and on radio.

Gallup
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 29 Sep 2020, 11:58:24

Tanada, nice quote there (so I don't have to dig for it).

So, basically, trust in media is linked to whether your candidate of choice is coming out on top.

There should be no surprise with that. When division is sown, that's exactly what one would expect.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 29 Sep 2020, 17:34:07

jedrider wrote:Tanada, nice quote there (so I don't have to dig for it).

So, basically, trust in media is linked to whether your candidate of choice is coming out on top.

There should be no surprise with that. When division is sown, that's exactly what one would expect.

Funny, when I look at the graph what it says to me is Democrats are more gullible than Independents when it comes to reporters being honest.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 29 Sep 2020, 19:13:53

Subjectivist wrote:

Funny, when I look at the graph what it says to me is Democrats are more gullible than Independents when it comes to reporters being honest.

And, who believes in Fake News the most? Republicans. Who spouts the most falsehoods (without compare)? Trump.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 29 Sep 2020, 22:42:07

jedrider wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:

And, who believes in Fake News the most? Republicans. Who spouts the most falsehoods (without compare)? Trump.

Actually as a Libertarian which pollsters consider Independent the most lies come from the untrustworthy media on both sides of the political divide. I don't care which media source you listen too, if you can not verify it independently from the media source then you can't trust a thing they say. This applies to all the commercial media who make their profits by selling advertisements. Once upon a time PBS gave a very balanced just the facts style report but that ended over a decade ago. I miss the days when news reports were just the facts instead of constantly giving the opinion of the reporters and the person writing the teleprompter text they read.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion