Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Uganda Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Uganda: Oil Reserves Rival Saudi Arabia's, Says U.S. Expert

Unread postby Southpaw » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 14:19:32

antidoomer don't you wanna come to the other side? at least you won't suck in debunking peakoil so hard.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01092007/bu ... rudele.htm

The oil has been discovered in the northwestern part of Uganda, adjacent to and under Lake Albert in an area called the Rift Valley. The region borders both the Sudan and the Congo.
The minister said the experts believe there are 100 million to 300 million barrels of oil in the ground in just one area - which represents just 6 percent of the entire exploration region.

300 000 000 = 6%

100/6 = 16,66

300 000 000 * 16,66 = 4 998 000 000 or 5 billion barrels hardly the size of Saudi Arabia.

when are you cornucopians gonna stop believing the us goverment? or do you guys still think that there are nukes in Iraq or Iran?

Maybe in saddam hussein's ass they probably didn't look there
Southpaw
Peat
Peat

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 14:24:37

pstarr wrote:
OilFinder2 wrote:but even I am very skeptical of this claim of rivaling-Saudi amounts.
So this somewhat ironic disclaimer is supposed to suggest scepticism on your part? As if your previous discovery catalogs (right. yeah. sure.) are more measured? Nuanced?

Unfortunately none of your imaginary discoveries are trusted, as they all come with an agenda--to pump investment reports, inflate discovery trends, mock peakoil concerns, promote business-as-usual, and discount the enormity of looming and eminent catastrophes.

This will surely turn out to be a piddling also.

As usual you are talking out your arse.

There was nothing "ironic" in my statement. The quote was made by a US technocrat who probably has little actual knowledge of these Ugandan discoveries.

As for the other discoveries, we know you don't believe them because you don't want to believe them.

Oh yeah, and we know you don't have an agenda. :roll:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 14:32:23

pstarr wrote:
OilFinder2 wrote:but even I am very skeptical of this claim of rivaling-Saudi amounts.
So this somewhat ironic disclaimer is supposed to suggest scepticism on your part? As if your previous discovery catalogs (right. yeah. sure.) are more measured? Nuanced?

Unfortunately none of your imaginary discoveries are trusted, as they all come with an agenda--to pump investment reports, inflate discovery trends, mock peakoil concerns, promote business-as-usual, and discount the enormity of looming and eminent catastrophes.

This will surely turn out to be a piddling also.

Bwahahaaaa, I'm really glad I joined peakoil.com. I knew there were people like you out there but I had never really run in to any quite like you in my closed circle. :)

Southpaw wrote:Maybe in saddam hussein's ass they probably didn't look there

I'll bet they did. One of the first places probably. :lol:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 20:08:20

Southpaw wrote:antidoomer don't you wanna come to the other side? at least you won't suck in debunking peakoil so hard.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01092007/bu ... rudele.htm

The oil has been discovered in the northwestern part of Uganda, adjacent to and under Lake Albert in an area called the Rift Valley. The region borders both the Sudan and the Congo.
The minister said the experts believe there are 100 million to 300 million barrels of oil in the ground in just one area - which represents just 6 percent of the entire exploration region.

300 000 000 = 6%

100/6 = 16,66

300 000 000 * 16,66 = 4 998 000 000 or 5 billion barrels hardly the size of Saudi Arabia.

when are you cornucopians gonna stop believing the us goverment? or do you guys still think that there are nukes in Iraq or Iran?

Maybe in saddam hussein's ass they probably didn't look there

Oil reserves aren't brownies in a brownie pan.

There isn't a linear relationship between the size of the explored area and the amount of oil.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cabrone » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 03:53:45

OilFinder2 wrote:Uganda is a large new play opening up which I reported on here, but even I am very skeptical of this claim of rivaling-Saudi amounts.

Yes, Tullow Oil have had a great track record down there but reserves to rival SA? I think she's got her numbers wrong.
Cabrone
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 22 Jun 2009, 00:14:28

Maddog78 wrote:
pstarr wrote:Unfortunately none of your imaginary discoveries are trusted, as they all come with an agenda--to pump investment reports, inflate discovery trends, mock peakoil concerns, promote business-as-usual, and discount the enormity of looming and eminent catastrophes.

Bwahahaaaa, I'm really glad I joined peakoil.com. I knew there were people like you out there but I had never really run in to any quite like you in my closed circle. :)
How much Bre-X stock did you have ?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 22 Jun 2009, 01:00:29

EIA International has been on the fritz lately, so no data from there tonight. :-x BP doesn't even list Uganda in the Stat Review - just part of "Other Africa."

The Wiki is uncommon good though: Energy in Uganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In June 2006, Hardman Resources of Australia discovered oil sands at Waranga 1, Waranga 2 and Mputa. President Yoweri Museveni announced that he expected production of 6,000 to 10 million barrels per day (1,600,000 m³/d) by 2009.[5]

:lol: So, anything, in other words.

They import all 7 kb/d of demand from Kenya.

In July 2007, Heritage Oil and Gas, one of several companies prospecting around Lake Albert raised its estimate for the Kingfisher well (block 3A) in Bunyoro, Hoima District, stating they thought it bigger than 600 million barrels (95,000,000 m3) of crude. Heritage's partner, London-based Tullow Oil, which had bought Hardman Resources, was more guarded, but stated their confidence that the Albertine Basin as a whole was over one billion barrels. The Kingfisher-1 well flowed 13,893 barrels per day (2,208.8 m³/d) of 30-32 API oil.

Bowl me over! Perhaps Mrs. Kornfeld's familiarity with flow rates is from stripper wells? Or this is her way of letting us know Saudi is 75% depleted? Or she thought all we'd be producing any more would be through 25k feet of pipe and 5k feet of salt water? Pretty weird statement at any rate. Maybe she's trying to calm bullish traders down.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sys1 » Fri 26 Jun 2009, 07:44:44

"Oil Reserves Rival Saudi Arabia's, Says U.S. Expert"

1930 oil reserves or 2009 ones? :P
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 26 Jun 2009, 07:56:00

If that's true about Uganda's oil reserves, its probably a good thing (for Uganda) we are finding about it now, rather than when Idi Amin was in power.

If they found out about it when Amin was in power, we'd probably have propped Idi Amin up (as long as he kept the oil flowing), and he'd still be ruling the country today.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Sun 28 Jun 2009, 16:28:35

Keith_McClary wrote:
Maddog78 wrote:
pstarr wrote:Unfortunately none of your imaginary discoveries are trusted, as they all come with an agenda--to pump investment reports, inflate discovery trends, mock peakoil concerns, promote business-as-usual, and discount the enormity of looming and eminent catastrophes.

How much Bre-X stock did you have ?

None, actually. I do have 30 oz. of real gold though.
How much did you have?
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Africa Discussion