Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Tsunami Thread (merged)

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Mon 10 Jan 2005, 02:52:31

Oh my god. I never thought it was this bad. Indonesia west coast was totally destroyed. Compare it with Sri Lanka pictures which still had some landmark .

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/2.html

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/4.html
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ayoob_Reloaded » Mon 10 Jan 2005, 03:23:19

I'm glad we gave something, and I hope the suffering of hundreds of thousands of people is lessened a little bit by the generosity of the world. I heard recently that world giving was up to ~6 billion. I hope that's enough to put things back together over there.

Just as a comparison, the owner of the WTC was insured to the tune of 4.6 billion for two buildings.

Interesting, no?
Ayoob_Reloaded
Lignite
Lignite

tsunami trauma sparks rash of foreign ghost sightings

Unread postby wzx » Fri 14 Jan 2005, 02:25:18

A second surge of tsunami terror is hitting southern Thailand, but this time it is a wave of foreign ghosts terrifying locals in what health experts described as an outpouring of delayed mass trauma.
Tales of ghost sightings in the six worst hit southern provinces have become endemic, with many locals saying they are too terrified to venture near the beach or into the ocean.
Spooked volunteer body searchers on the resort areas of Phi Phi island and Khao Lak are reported to have looked for tourists heard laughing and singing on the beach only to find darkness and empty sand.
"This is a type of mass hallucination that is a cue to the trauma being suffered by people who are missing so many dead people, and seeing so many dead people, and only talking about dead people," Thai psychologist and media commentator Wallop Piyamanotham told AFP.

what kind of mass hallucination are we going to see after PO ? :shock:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050114/1/3pumx.html
wzx
Wood
Wood

Unread postby skateari » Fri 14 Jan 2005, 02:38:11

This is the kinda stuff that bums me out and I tend to avoid.. I hate thinking about the mass amount of people that are going to die.. I hope to not be around all the dying people in the cities and hope to not experiance such drama in my lifetime.. it wont get that bad in the rural land Im hoping :wink:
skateari
Coal
Coal

Unread postby K9P » Fri 14 Jan 2005, 06:29:05

I have read that these large earthquakes come in twos (a few years between) so this fear is not irrational.

Peak Oil is NOT 'no oil' so there is no sensible parallel to be drawn with an instantaneous natural disaster such as an earthquake.

If there were to be a post peak mass hallucination I suggest it might be the vision of petrol prices falling.
K9P

Unread postby oowolf » Fri 14 Jan 2005, 17:27:14

oowolf
Expert
Expert

Tsunami Warning for West Coast of U.S.

Unread postby Carrie » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 23:48:49

Just got an email alert (and confirmation from my folks in Oregon) that a Tsunami warning has been given for the coastal areas from the North tip of Vancouver to the California/Mexico border. There was a 7.4 earthquake 90 miles NW of Eureka, CA.

http://edis.oes.ca.gov/bulletins/1118806596.txt
Carrie
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 00:33:52

Nothing about it on national weather service VHF, I'd not worry about it.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Carrie » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 00:53:18

A warning was given, they were talking about it on KGO radio (San Francisco) and it was on the official EDIS site. But it has been cancelled.

Cancellation update: http://edis.oes.ca.gov/bulletins/1118809974.txt

There were partial evacuations of Crescent City, and sirens were going off in some of the Northern California & Oregon coastal towns, so it was real. Crescent City got slammed by a tsunami in 1964. Eleven people died and 29 city blocks were washed away.
Carrie
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 01:23:20

Carrie, you rock!!
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 01:29:54

Wow that's some serious shit. I'm in Sunnyvale so I guess I can have a "sunny" disposition about such things lol!

I guess if I were in Crescent City I'd probably have loaded up the car and be camped out in the hills with my ham radios, personal papers, and Mac next to the sleeping bag myself.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Carrie » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 01:44:07

Thanks OilsNotWell :oops:

Yeah, my folks live in Lincoln City right on the coast, but they're on high ground. I called them and they had already heard about the alert. Not long after I hung up, sirens went off in their town, but the all clear was given not long after. My mother-in-law in Oxnard had already called my folks, so the whole family along the coast was on high alert! 8O

Glad it turned out ok, though. Also glad I've got the Santa Cruz mountain range separating me from the ocean!
Carrie
News Editor
News Editor

Did global warming cause the Japan Earthquake/Tsunami?

Unread postby Asterisk » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 11:13:26

Linking global warming to earthquakes sounds ridiculous I know, but this is not the first I have heard of such a link.

climate change linked to earthquakes

Basically, melting ice at the poles displaces HUGE amounts of mass which causes the earth to essentially change shape ever so slightly. This causes earthquakes and volcanoes.

It this is true, then we are going to see many more of these mega quakes because scientists now say that ice loss at the poles is accelerating.

Polar ice loss accelerating
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Re: Did global warming cause the Japan Earthquake/Tsunami?

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 11:26:34

Probably not. Japan is a highly seismic region and large earthquakes are to be expected there.
Ludi

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 11:38:20

The element of gw that I think could reasonably be linked to earth quakes is see level rise. Even a slight rise will put vast amounts of new pressure right near the edge of various plates. Since many of these are obviously right on the edge of a shift anyway, I would think that this could push some beyond the tipping point.

But I have not even seen speculation on this from any scientific source.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 11:45:01

Asterisk wrote:Linking global warming to earthquakes sounds ridiculous I know, but this is not the first I have heard of such a link.

climate change linked to earthquakes

Basically, melting ice at the poles displaces HUGE amounts of mass which causes the earth to essentially change shape ever so slightly. This causes earthquakes and volcanoes.

It this is true, then we are going to see many more of these mega quakes because scientists now say that ice loss at the poles is accelerating.

Polar ice loss accelerating

a few planetary & physics facts -
moon perigee (normal close distance) - 363,104 km
moon perigee (normal far distance) - 405,696 km

middle distance - 384,000 km

Extreme Supermoon distance - 356,577 km

356,577 / 384,000 km = 0.9285859375

... so the moon is about 7% closer during the extreme supermoon. the last time this happened - 1993.

BUT - the earth is a much different place than in 1993. the ice caps have melted markedly - sidestepping the subject of global warming. the magnetic poles have shifted.

so, that we did not have any major seismic events in 1993 does not entirely apply. (though, Clinton as inaugurated in 1993 8O ) the loading on tectonic plates has changed markedly.

and along comes the moon at an extreme perigee. the way gravitational pull works is, as the square of the distance. 7% closer = 14.5% greater force, pulling on the 2 plates that comprise the San Andreas fault, for example.

that is material.

time will tell.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Asterisk » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 16:33:08

DB, I read something last night that mentioned the effect of sea level on tectonics. That makes sense to me, but so does the concept of melting ice displacing tremendous amounts of mass. I guess if we have another big one in the next year or so (I"m talking another "one of the largest ever"), we will have to assume it's not a coincidence that these quakes are happening at the same time that the poles are dumping untold amounts of mass into the ocean.

Pedalling....now THAT is something I haven't considered!
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 16:50:44

Mostly what I've heard is that glacier melt can cause local, small earthquakes, as can loading from filling dam reservoirs (although the large China quake may have been triggered by filling a dam reservoir, iirc).

If you have a link for the article you read, I'd appreciate it.

Best luck to all in a very uncertain future.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 17:15:19

No.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby scas » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 17:28:57

“This has to be a tough call out there for the environmentalists around the world,” Limbaugh said. “They’re scrambling now to blame this on global warming…much of the damage seems to have happened in that part of Japan most heavily involved in manufacturing cars. So do environmentalists cheer or do they pretend to be saddened by this? It’s a legitimate question.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/1 ... 34729.html

Good ol Limbaugh. What a clown.
Last edited by scas on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 17:41:56, edited 1 time in total.
scas
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate