Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Saudi Arabia Thread pt 6

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Crude: The Saudi shake down

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 09:30:53

Cog wrote:It would not surprise me at all if Trump were involved in this latest action. Salman has received the assurances he needs from the USA that we have his back.

This seems to be a basic premise of Trump foreign policy. In the same way he supports Japan repealing their pacifist constitution and building up their military to help with North Korea he supports Prince Muhammad modernizing Saudi and becoming more aggressive in their foreign policy to help against Iran
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: The Inside Story Of The Saudi Night Of The Long Knives

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 17:27:26

an interesting read and largely what I thought was happening. That being said the fact the CIA doesn't like MBS is probably a good thing (i.e. he won't cow tow to whatever it is they want him to do). Also I don't think they give him enough credit in terms of having planned all of this out. They portray it as if he is reacting to circumstances rather than having a game plan. My guess is he was thinking of all of this two years ago when he first started contemplating a changed regime and just how he would be able to accomplish that given the politics of the time. Whether he will be successful remains to be seen. He seems to have Trump on his side (at least today) so that is a good thing.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

With Saudi Arrests, Crown Prince Shows He Can Force Change.

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 16:44:03

The Saudi prince behind the weekend's unprecedented arrest of high-level Saudi officials and businessmen is known as young and brash, and has even been called reckless. He is also known to be in tune with Saudi Arabia's youth; those under 25 make up a majority of the country's population. The prince's latest high-risk move has gotten rave reviews from Saudis on Twitter, the country's most popular social media outlet. Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, or MBS, as the 32-year-old leader is known, is gambling that he can modernize the ultra-conservative kingdom by consolidating power and mobilizing a generation of young people, say Saudi analysts inside and outside the kingdom. "Did MBS just pull a red wedding?" asked one supporter on Twitter, comparing the weekend's purge to a bloody family massacre on Game of Thrones. Arrests began on Saturday, hours after the prince was

With Saudi Arrests, Crown Prince Shows He Can Force Change. But It’s Not Democracy
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Oil Tycoons Make Billions In Saudi Purge

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 00:33:18

Oil tycoons are applauding Saudi Arabia’s recent anti-corruption raid, which has boosted the net worth of the world’s 21 largest oil tycoons by $1.4 billion, according to Bloomberg. The boost came on the back of increased crude prices as reports of the arrests emerged. The net worth of Saudi investor Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, on the other hand—one of the arrested princes—sunk to its lowest level in 5.5 years. His biggest asset, the Kingdom Holding Co., took most of the losses. The Bloomberg index of billionaires dropped Talal’s ranking 11 places to No. 61. In total, his net worth has sunk $2 billion since the anti-corruption team announced his arrest. Now, he owns a $17 billion fortune, valued at less than half of its 2014 peak. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s purge took down Talal in a move that “would be like arresting Warren

Oil Tycoons Make Billions In Saudi Purge
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Saudi Arabia Thread pt 6

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 18:55:03

Democracy is over rated.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 19:47:52

Subjectivist wrote:Democracy is over rated.

Yes it is the worst thing there is except for all the other possibilities.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 19:53:13

vtsnowedin wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Democracy is over rated.

Yes it is the worst thing there is except for all the other possibilities.

A great many folks buy into the idea that Democracy means wise decisions will be made. The problem is short cycle democracy like that practiced by Congress becomes all about reelection and wisdom never enters the picture. Venice was a Republic for a long time without the short cycle politics that dominate the way modern democracies work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History ... _of_Venice
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: With Saudi Arrests, Crown Prince Shows He Can Force Chan

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 19:54:09

Of course Saudi Arabia isn't a democracy.

Its an old fashioned monarchy.

In a monarchy the King and sometimes the King's selection to be Crown Prince rule by decree--i.e. their word is law.

Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Saudi Shocks Reawaken Global Oil Markets to Political Risk

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 22:33:32

For the first time in three years, the chief concern in the oil market isn’t too much supply. Just as production cuts by OPEC and its allies finally deplete a surplus that has weighed on oil prices since 2014, political crises have hit the organization’s three biggest members. First, an eruption in Iraq’s long-running feud with its Kurdish population hurt exports, then rising tensions between Iran and President Donald Trump put that nation’s energy trade at risk. The greatest concern arises from twin shocks in the world’s biggest crude exporter, Saudi Arabia: both internally, as the kingdom conducts a political purge that could stir opposition, and externally, as it steps up warnings against its regional nemesis, Iran. While analysts don’t expect any imminent disruption, Saudi supplies are so critical that the elevated risk pushed crude prices to a two-year high. “One out of

Saudi Shocks Reawaken Global Oil Markets to Political Risk

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Saudi “Deep State” Prince Bandar Among Those Arrested In Pur

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 22:36:13

According to a new report by Middle East Eye, Prince Bandar bin Sultan - Saudi Arabia's most famous arms dealer, longtime former ambassador to the US, and recent head of Saudi intelligence - was among those detained as part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's (MBS) so-called "corruption purge" that started with the initial arrests of up to a dozen princes and other top officials last weekend. If confirmed, the arrest and detention of Bandar would constitute the most significant and high profile figure caught up in the purge - even above that of high profile billionaire investor Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal - given Bandar's closeness to multiple US administrations and involvement in events ranging from Reagan's Nicaraguan Contra program (including direct involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal), to making the case for the Iraq War as a trusted friend of Bush and Cheney, to directing

Saudi “Deep State” Prince Bandar Among Those Arrested In Purge

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 01:10:30

I watched a very interesting summary of the history of Saudi Arabia today:

https://youtu.be/DmUBxwC-s_g?t=1s

It's nice to get some background on the Saud family and it's beginnings, to understand where they might be headed.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 04:25:17

This is not only affecting the deep state Saudi princes but deep state Americans. The financial connections to the Clintons and Bush family are being destroyed. If Trump is not orchestrating this move. I have little doubts he is quite pleased by it.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 21:11:02

When Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman spoke to his nation six months ago, he pledged to crack down on corruption. “I assure you that nobody who is involved in corruption will escape, regardless if he was minister or a prince or anyone,” he said.

But few people could have expected the sudden storm this month when a new anti-graft committee ordered the arrest of more than 200 suspects, including princes, prominent businessmen and former senior officials, on allegations related to at least $100bn in corruption.

The arrest of so many big names has been hailed within the country as proof “no one is above the law”. But others have raised questions about the motivations behind a probe that also targeted a member of the royal family once seen as a contender for the throne.

Critics of Saudi Arabia’s King Salman warn of the danger of ignoring the actions of the monarch’s own children, including the crown prince, who in 2015 reportedly bought a yacht for €420m. The Salman clan has extensive business interests, including media and financial services.

The government denies the probe has any political motivation and is focused entirely on stamping out graft. But, for decades, endemic corruption has acted as the means of securing the loyalty of thousands of al-Saud princes, who hold top jobs in the military, the security forces and bureaucracy.

Some entities managed to erect firewalls against corruption, such as state energy giant Saudi Aramco and the central bank, said one western consultant who has advised on corruption in the kingdom for decades. “For the rest, in a system where everyone is on a take, one can only be relative,” he said.

Defence sales is the most infamous sector, the consultant said, although he also highlighted health, public works and telecommunications.

Executives estimate that anywhere between 10 per cent and 25 per cent of the value of government contracts is routinely skimmed, with the proceeds used to fund lavish regal lifestyles, channel money to loyal tribes and grease the palms of favoured functionaries. “This is how the kingdom of Saudi Arabia has balanced power historically,” said one executive.

Saudi business people also complain about powerful royals confiscating valuable land or forcing themselves into joint-venture arrangements with companies that become too successful. “This really grinds them down,” said the executive, who says businesses are also dismayed by opaque procurement procedures.

But business people question whether this month’s highly politicised arrests, which have undermined investor confidence, will really help bring such abusive practices by members of the Saudi elite to an end. Despite generous monthly salaries, princes pursue other schemes to boost their wealth, using their influence to skim a percentage off the entire value of a contract.

In the mid-1990s, according to a US cable leaked to WikiLeaks, stipends ranged from $270,000 a month for close family members of King Salman, whose father was the founder of modern Saudi Arabia, to $800 a month for distant relatives. Funnelling work to their own companies is one of the main allegations against some of the senior princes under investigation, including Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, and his brother Prince Turki, sons of former King Abdullah, according to a Saudi official. One case regarding Prince Miteb includes the supply of bullet proof clothing to the ministries of defence and interior that were overpriced by 10 times

In another case, a little-known company won a 300m riyal contract to import medical evacuation helicopters. It was later found to be a front for a royal who was leading the government organisation that awarded the contract, a person who works with the anti-corruption commission said.

“We are happy that our work is finally bearing fruit. It feels great to see the impact of your effort,” the person connected with the commission said. “But I’m certain that the issue is purely political and has nothing to do with reform or fighting corruption.”

None of the accused are contactable to respond to the allegations, which could not be independently verified.

Some questionable business practises are both common and not, technically, illegal. Many plots of land were in the past distributed as royal gifts to prominent individuals only to be sold back to the government for handsome sums when authorities sought land to build public facilities, such as Riyadh’s international airport.

While fully eliminating corruption is unlikely, experts say limiting the presence of princes in government could help. King Salman has significantly decreased the number of family members in cabinet — today only the ministers of defence, the interior and the national guard are royals.

Some suggest that, even if corruption by the royals continues, the crackdown could still bring important dividends.

“Centralised corruption is better because you have one rent-seeker on top.” said Steffen Hertog, an expert on Saudi political economy at the London School of Economics. “That actor has an interest in keeping the whole system efficient and stable, and keeping it from collapsing.”

Article
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

What the Saudi Arrests Mean for the Kingdom’s Oil Policy

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 20:04:03

We may never fully know what lies behind Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's decision to arrest more than 200 Saudi citizens, including 11 princes and four government ministers, on corruption charges, just as tensions with Iran are escalating. What we do know is that his move simultaneously boosted the oil price and undermined the attractiveness of Aramco to potential foreign investors. But it would be a mistake to conclude that this political decision also heralds a shift in Saudi oil policy, or permanently damages the prospects of the state oil company's IPO. Crude prices always rise in response to unrest in the Middle East, even when the countries involved produce little or no oil. That it has done so now, in the wake of the arrests in the region's biggest producer and the threats against Lebanon and Iran in response to a missile launched from Yemen,

What the Saudi Arrests Mean for the Kingdom’s Oil Policy

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 15:14:48

Cog wrote:This is not only affecting the deep state Saudi princes but deep state Americans. The financial connections to the Clintons and Bush family are being destroyed. If Trump is not orchestrating this move. I have little doubts he is quite pleased by it.

They got prince Bandar. He was sometimes referred to as "Bandar Bush". He has been on the international stage for many years now.

http://www.livetradingnews.com/bush-fri ... gyRb1f5Pdk

Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

The Saudi Coup Signals War And The New World Order Reset

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 18:56:03

For years now, I have been warning about the relationship of interdependency between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia and how this relationship, if ended, would mean disaster for the petrodollar system and by extension the dollar's world reserve status. In my recent articles 'Lies And Distractions Surrounding The Diminishing Petrodollar' and 'The Economic End Game Continues,' I point out that the death of the dollar as the premier petrocurrency is actually a primary goal for establishment globalists. Why? Because in an effort to achieve what they sometimes call the "global economic reset," or the "new world order," a more publicly accepted centralized global economy and monetary framework is paramount. And, this means the eventual implementation of a single world currency and a single global economic and political authority above and beyond the dollar system. But, it is not enough to simply initiate such

The Saudi Coup Signals War And The New World Order Reset

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The Saudi Coup Signals War And The New World Order Reset

Unread postby Cog » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 19:41:56

Oh boy not this again.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 01:10:01

there seems to be some noise in the press that the King will step down officially in the next few days. If that is the case then it is clear what was going on with all that has happened in the past few months. His son has now consolidated power. All of his relatives who did not want that to happen for various reasons (didn't want a more relaxed muslim approach, didn't want less power concentrated amongst the family etc) who are sitting in high-class jail will be released over the next few weeks if they agree to 1. paying some sort of fine which no doubt will be in the millions, 2. agree to support the new king. He will hold over them the charges of corruption and probably a bunch of other ones so that if they don't get in line the chopping block in Riyadh could get quite busy. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if I'm right (and I did spend a lot of time in this part of the world so I am not just guessing without knowing what goes on there) it probably is a good thing for the country. The new king would bring them into the 21st century both economically and socially. And he will probably also stand a pretty good chance of being assassinated. It's a crazy place so the next few months will be pretty interesting. The issues with Qatar and Iran will complicate everything I'm sure.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Saudi Arabia’s anti-corruption purge is all about life after

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:26:58

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s decision to arrest scores of the country’s most prominent officials and business elites under the banner of an anti-corruption purge last week was a remarkable power play, an unprecedented move designed to concentrate all authority in the Gulf state in one man’s hands. But the radical shake-up was also about something else: preparing for life after oil. MBS, as the 32-year-old heir to the throne is widely known, has not just been detaining people — he’s also been seizing billions of dollars of their money. And he’s using this crackdown to make the case to the world that Saudi Arabia is a reformed nation cleansed of graft, and worthy of a big boost of foreign investment. In other words, the purge is more than just a way of eliminating his rivals and consolidating power. Experts say tha

Saudi Arabia’s anti-corruption purge is all about life after oil

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

It’s Never Wise to Bet Against a Saudi Oil Minister

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:34:02

Don't be fooled by the apparent dithering of OPEC and friends over whether to extend their output restraint when they meet at the end of the month. They know full well that failing to send a clear signal would send oil prices plummeting. The apparent backsliding from Russia and a small number of OPEC members may be a belated attempt to create a sense of uncertainty ahead of the gathering. The extension will then have a much more positive impact than if it merely ratified a long-flagged intention. Just look at what happened last time they all met, back in May: The decision to extend the cuts to the end of March 2018 was a foregone conclusion. Every ministerial interview said so. When that decision came, the market duly reacted: Brent fell by $2.50 a barrel amid disappointment that OPEC and the

It’s Never Wise to Bet Against a Saudi Oil Minister

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion