Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Royal Dutch Shell Oil Thread Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Shell Oil Corporation

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 15:37:06

the Royal Dutch Shell Group has developed low sulfur diesel, syndiesel, syngas from coal and other enviro friendly technology. keep that in mind when you see the Shell sign. respects to all
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: our contributions

Unread postby Bas » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 16:07:10

Ah, you have a sense of pride working for Shell Vgirl? We could ofcourse also think about all the shady business deals Shell makes with questionable governments. But then again, we could also take public transport instead of using the car when we can. What about BP and their solar division?

Anyway, I guess what I really want to ask is: why this sudden outburst of Shell "patriotism"? Is the company getting worried about the backlash PeakOil might have on it?
Bas

Unread postby TheTurtle » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 16:23:07

I for one started buying exclusively from Shell right after they were caught having grossly overestimated their proven reserves. When it was revealed that they had lied to us and actually had less oil than originally declared, I considered it my duty as a world citizen to help them deplete all of their holdings as soon as possible. :-D
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.” (Ted Perry)
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Bas » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 16:39:37

TheTurtle wrote:I for one started buying exclusively from Shell right after they were caught having grossly overestimated their proven reserves. When it was revealed that they had lied to us and actually had less oil than originally declared, I considered it my duty as a world citizen to help them deplete all of their holdings as soon as possible. :-D

On the other hand, Turtle, Shell is subject to the same SEC accounting rules as the other majors and is the only one that has really come clean about their inflated reserves so far; I suspect the other majors having similar inflated reserve numbers.
Bas

Unread postby TheTurtle » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 16:55:29

Well, I also hate them because they're Dutch, Bas.

No, just kidding. :P I know all the other oil companies are overestimating their reserves too. It's just that I felt personally betrayed by Shell since they had always been my favorite gas station. So I continue to buy my gasoline there, but now I imagine I am helping to deplete their reserves each time I do (which is true when you think of it).
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.” (Ted Perry)
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bodigami » Sat 12 Jan 2008, 20:01:22

I prefer new renewable and clean companies. Google is funding R&D about it. Petroleum (and Big Oil) is the past.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 12:49:54

Wasn't shell deeply implicated in the Ken Sarawiwo killing and in cahoots with the Sani Abacha dictatorship in Nigeria?
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 14:00:33

I buy from the lowest bidder. Where I live, that's SUNOCO, which along with BP, is on top of the Sierra Club's list (pick your poison) of most environmentally friendly oil companies. Shell got a mid rating, with Exxon/Mobil at the bottom. As a disclaimer, the Sierra Club looks at all oil companies as evil and the list is just a lesser of those.

Link

SUNOCO is headquartered in Philadelphia and has a huge refinery and secondary processing plant there. Philly has used this refinery as a “supplier of last resort” for their natural gas consumption. A couple of years ago in the deep of winter, Philly literally ran out of natural gas and the refinery obliged by making it for them until supplies returned. This refinery is the oldest continuously operating oil refinery and dates back to the days when Pennsylvania was the world’s biggest producer of crude.

Link
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 14:00:37

"Our" contributions?

So you own Shell?

You do realize that if you do not own Shell, that you're just another peon that's been completely brainwashed, correct?

Hence the handle "vampyregirl" is correct, you're a sucker.

OK, now we can move on.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vampyregirl » Mon 14 Jan 2008, 15:35:34

i am loyal to the Royal Dutch Shell Group. not only did they give me a job they gave me a scholarship to go to school and have even helped pay for daycare for my son. yes not long ago some senior members were forced to resign due to the misreporting reserves scandal. i don't think that will be repeated in the future. as for Nigeria those accusations against the Group were made by a rebel group who are guilty of kidnapping and murder. i would think twice before taking the word of proven criminals.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vampyregirl » Mon 14 Jan 2008, 15:38:56

ps. thats the last i have to say on this subject
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby lateStarter » Mon 14 Jan 2008, 16:49:02

vampyregirl wrote:i am loyal to the Royal Dutch Shell Group. not only did they give me a job they gave me a scholarship to go to school and have even helped pay for daycare for my son. yes not long ago some senior members were forced to resign due to the misreporting reserves scandal. i don't think that will be repeated in the future. as for Nigeria those accusations against the Group were made by a rebel group who are guilty of kidnapping and murder. i would think twice before taking the word of proven criminals.

And you don't think that Shell ever resorted to 'kidnapping and murder' to achieve their goals? Let's see now: I stand to make a gazillion dollars if I can just get politician'B' out of the way. It would only cost $150 (and that includes tip) to get this done. Hmm....
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 14 Jan 2008, 19:34:06

vampyregirl wrote: as for Nigeria those accusations against the Group were made by a rebel group who are guilty of kidnapping and murder. i would think twice before taking the word of proven criminals.
The entire world condemed that ruling as judicial murder and many of the witnesess later admit being bribed.

Shell was involved in the murder of an enviromental activist. The ANC government in South Africa was vocally opposed to the Abacha regime and was instramental in having them expelled from the African soccer federation in the wake of that trial.

I also would be a little less emotionaly attached to a multinational corperation. They have a habit of not being particularly emotionaly attached to employess when savings have to be made to please the shareholders.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

THE Royal Dutch Shell Oil Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby dissident » Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:30:21

I guess this is "Wall Street"-think. The profit level in 2008 was abnormally high so the drop is taking things back to 2007 and earlier levels, i.e. normal. They are still making a profit so they can't complain about uncertainty and not being able to make investments.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Royal Dutch CEO says expensive oil here to stay

Unread postby frankthetank » Thu 04 Mar 2010, 23:41:36

This is the good stuff:

Voser also addressed whether so-called "peak oil" -- the theory, around since the 1950s, that global demand will ultimately outpace supply -- has now been effectively debunked.

The CEO demurred, answering instead that despite developments in technologies such as electric cars, wind power and other alternative energy sources, "we will need conventional oil" for the foreseeable future.

"We cannot switch it off, and we can make it lower-carbon."

"I think what is dead is cheap oil," Voser said, adding, "There is sufficient oil around," but producers "will have to spend more to get it. ... And I think you'll see that in the end price for consumers."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/shell- ... link=kiosk
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Shell stops gasoline sales to Iran

Unread postby KevO » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 10:58:34

so it begins?
Royal Dutch Shell halts gasoline supplies to Iran, trade sources say Shell sold 1.65 mln bbls of gasoline bet Apr-Oct in 2009 By Luke Pachymuthu
DUBAI March 10 (Reuters) - Oil major Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.L) has stopped gasoline sales to Iran, oil traders said on Wednesday, the latest addition to a growing list of firms that have halted supplies under threat of future U.S. sanctions.
The Anglo-Dutch oil firm will join the likes of BP (BP.L), Reliance Industries (RELI.BO), and independent Swiss trader Glencore, among suppliers that have either stopped fuel sales to Iran or have made a decision not to enter into new trading agreements with the world's fifth largest oil exporter. …
Reuters
Last edited by Ferretlover on Wed 10 Mar 2010, 11:19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added text per COC 3.1.3 With articles, post a short paragraph and provide a link.
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: Shell stops gasoline sales to Iran

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 11:39:07

And, yet, if Iran Were to fall in line with all the demands being made on them, and then require the services of one or more oil companies outside of Iran, which ones do we think would rush right over, saying, "We didn't REALLY want to cut you off... ?"
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ki11ercane » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 12:02:52

Sanctions of shenanigans from the rest of the world no longer have the teeth people think they have. If anything else, they are used a market tools.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/libra ... irna06.htm

Necessity is the mother of invention. Iran also gets around sanctions using black market schemes as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/world ... tions.html

The fact that the world hasn't figured out yet that the sanctions from the West and the threats of retaliation from Iran are all puppet show identifies how stupid Main Stream People are. (and we always blame it on Main Stream Media) I wouldn't be surprised if Iran, the West, and major business ventures schedule and plan their fear mongering to assist in their political and fiscal gains.

Iran needed to be reduced to glass 40 years ago. Now, it's too late.
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Re: Royal Dutch CEO says expensive oil here to stay

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 12:07:50

Makes you wonder if he said this because they were cutting off Iran.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 13:02:39

ki11ercane wrote:Sanctions of shenanigans from the rest of the world no longer have the teeth people think they have. If anything else, they are used a market tools.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/libra ... irna06.htm

Necessity is the mother of invention. Iran also gets around sanctions using black market schemes as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/world ... tions.html

The fact that the world hasn't figured out yet that the sanctions from the West and the threats of retaliation from Iran are all puppet show identifies how stupid Main Stream People are. (and we always blame it on Main Stream Media) I wouldn't be surprised if Iran, the West, and major business ventures schedule and plan their fear mongering to assist in their political and fiscal gains.

Iran needed to be reduced to glass 40 years ago. Now, it's too late.

40 years ago? 1970?

How about instead of reducing Iran to a sheet of glass, how about not having done this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

The 1953 Iranian coup d’état (termed the 28 Mordad coup d'état in Iran), was the overthrow of the democratically-elected Iranian government of Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh by the Central Intelligence Agency;[1][2][3] it was the CIA's first covert operation against a foreign government.[4] The coup has been called "a critical event in post-war world history", and is thought to have influenced "all of subsequent Iranian history."[5] The coup was originally considered in America to be a triumph of Cold War covert action, but given its blowback, it is considered now generally to have left "a haunting and terrible legacy," both in Iran and worldwide.[6] In 2000, the U.S. Secretary of State called the coup a "setback for democratic government" in Iran, saying "It is easy to see now why many Iranians continue to resent this intervention by America in their internal affairs."[7] In 2009, President Barack Obama publicaly admitted US involvement in the coup; the first time a sitting US president had done so.

Chalk this up as yet another dumb idea that originated in the 1950's, along with suburbal sprawl and dependency on the automobile.

Destroying a democratically-elected government in Iran in 1953 wasn't good enough? We need to nuke them, too?

1953 -> 1979 -> now
Classic demonstration that evil begets evil.

Evil may triumph when good men do nothing, but it also triumphs when men who think they are doing good are actually doing evil.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion