Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Ron Paul Thread pt 3 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE Ron Paul Thread pt 3 (merged)

Unread postby cipi604 » Thu 19 May 2011, 22:48:27

dinopello wrote:When was that ? Anyway, complete cooking to any reasonable temperature does not remediate mad cow which is caused by a protein.

Cooking burgers to an internal temperature of 160 degrees kills the threat. I don't know ... 2004 or around that time period.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Ron Paul: Legalize Milk

Unread postby mattduke » Thu 19 May 2011, 22:51:14

When prions aggregate they are super stable, cooking does not destroy their structure. Prions are cool, like ice-9.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 19 May 2011, 22:54:54

cipi604 wrote:
dinopello wrote:When was that ? Anyway, complete cooking to any reasonable temperature does not remediate mad cow which is caused by a protein.

Cooking burgers to an internal temperature of 160 degrees kills the threat. I don't know ... 2004 or around that time period.

What is your reference for that cooking claim ? Everything I can find says the opposite.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby fiedag » Thu 19 May 2011, 23:06:17

Much as I am fond of libertarian dogma, my risk-reward calculus in this instance leads me to support the authoritarian side of this debate.

When it comes to pasteurisation, I endorse the centuries-old practice of State interference in people's dietary predilections. The reason is this: Even if every consumer was duly informed of the risks of consuming unpasteurised milk and other dairy products, the risks and costs of such a choice are not confined to that consumer alone. As a taxpayer, and willing participant in a modern healthcare contract with my government, I pay for the medical care of others. I would resent having to pay for the medical costs of others who choose to drink unpasteurised milk. I also feel the duty to protect the children of those parents who expose their children to such risks. Finally I would worry that the resultant greater prevalence of certain transmissible diseases puts ME at risk even though I drink pasteurised milk.

Has anyone drunk unhomogenised milk lately? Now that's delicious! And still safe...
fiedag
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mattduke » Thu 19 May 2011, 23:07:46

fiedag wrote:Much as I am fond of libertarian dogma, my risk-reward calculus in this instance leads me to support the authoritarian side of this debate.

When it comes to pasteurisation, I endorse the centuries-old practice of State interference in people's dietary predilections. The reason is this: Even if every consumer was duly informed of the risks of consuming unpasteurised milk and other dairy products, the risks and costs of such a choice are not confined to that consumer alone. As a taxpayer, and willing participant in a modern healthcare contract with my government, I pay for the medical care of others. I would resent having to pay for the medical costs of others who choose to drink unpasteurised milk. I also feel the duty to protect the children of those parents who expose their children to such risks. Finally I would worry that the resultant greater prevalence of certain transmissible diseases puts ME at risk even though I drink pasteurised milk.

Has anyone drunk unhomogenised milk lately? Now that's delicious! And still safe...

Certainly you will agree that alcohol should be illegal then. It is completely inconsistent to believe raw milk aficionados should be jailed or otherwise harmed while consumers and producers of alcohol are to be left alone.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby alokin » Fri 20 May 2011, 00:31:10

There is a difference, if you buy raw milk at a supermarket where milk of hundreds of farms is poured together or a village dairy or even better directly at a farm. You won't buy your milk at the most scruffy farm. In Europe there is lots of cheese which is unpasteurized and I never heard of problems with it. There are so many cheese varieties which needs to be unpasteurized to taste right.
Laws are usually made for big produces only.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 20 May 2011, 01:57:12

dinopello wrote:What is your reference for that cooking claim ? Everything I can find says the opposite.

It seems that I was wrong and quoted the e-coli temperature (160F). You and mattduke are right, you can burn the meat and it is still there. Good to know. Thanks!
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby FairMaiden » Fri 20 May 2011, 02:38:28

I live in Canada and I can order my burger the same way I order steak: well-done, medium, medium rare, etc.

We do have stricter standards here with regard to our foods and labelling...but last I saw, the local farms aren't getting raided by feds? :-D

I think the gov't has a right to put standards out there but if the ppl want pasteurized milk, then they should have the choice. It's really quite ridiculous how mandated our existence has become...
FairMaiden
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 20 May 2011, 02:41:13

soon the existence itself will be mandated
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 20 May 2011, 10:13:36

mattduke wrote:Certainly you will agree that alcohol should be illegal then. It is completely inconsistent to believe raw milk aficionados should be jailed or otherwise harmed while consumers and producers of alcohol are to be left alone.

Alcohol and pasteurization both kill germs.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 20 May 2011, 10:16:41

FairMaiden wrote:I think the gov't has a right to put standards out there but if the ppl want pasteurized milk, then they should have the choice. It's really quite ridiculous how mandated our existence has become...

Canada was one of the last countries to add vitamin D to milk in 1979, and they were one the last countries with large numbers of otherwise well nourished children with rickets.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 20 May 2011, 10:57:39

45 people treated for rabies after drinking raw milk from .....wait for it......a rabid cow.

http://www.rense.com/general69/rabdies.htm
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 20 May 2011, 11:19:21

FairMaiden wrote:I live in Canada and I can order my burger the same way I order steak: well-done, medium, medium rare, etc.
We do have stricter standards here with regard to our foods and labelling...but last I saw, the local farms aren't getting raided by feds? :-D

My post last night was lost, but I found the Heath Regs for Alberta and it specifies that it is illegal to serve ground beef that has not been brought to 160F (71C) for at least 15 seconds throughout. Of course, restaurants probably vary in how they follow the law, but it is the law. It's also true that some localities in the US have similar rules regarding ground beef, thankfully mine is not one of them.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 20 May 2011, 11:27:08

dinopello wrote:My post last night was lost, but I found the Heath Regs for Alberta and it specifies that it is illegal to serve ground beef that has not been brought to 160F (71C) for at least 15 seconds throughout. Of course, restaurants probably vary in how they follow the law, but it is the law. It's also true that some localities in the US have similar rules regarding ground beef, thankfully mine is not one of them.

Oh, well Canadian hamburgers are a whole 'nother story. You can't get a decent burger in Canada.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sat 21 May 2011, 13:58:18

fiedag wrote:As a taxpayer, and willing participant in a modern healthcare contract with my government, I pay for the medical care of others. I would resent having to pay for the medical costs of others who choose to drink unpasteurised milk. I also feel the duty to protect the children of those parents who expose their children to such risks.

That slippery slope leads straight down to the worst kind of despotic nanny statism. "I pay taxes," "it's for the children," etc. are absurd rationalizations for pushing people around and telling them what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. It is the siren call of the tyrant.

As for food regs, there's definitely a fine line between over-regulation and under-regulation. Right now I think we have the worst of both worlds, small farmers being pushed out of business because they can't comply with federal regulations designed to encourage corporate factory farming. The result is a GREATER risk to public health, not to mention horrific animal abuse on a monumental scale.

The federal government is probably the single greatest enemy of the small farmer, sustainable humane practices, and local foods. Joel Salatin has some interesting thoughts on this subject---Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 21 May 2011, 21:10:56

PrestonSturges wrote:The disease you can get from unpasteurized milk are really awful, like TB infections of the bones. Who wants to die over 5 years because their spine is rotting? It happened to a coworkers mother in India.

The more I look into people like this the more I see they are wrapped into a very tight little belief system, and for "free thinkers" they are rigid, dogmatic, don't read much, and generally seem unaware of much outside the conspiracy universe.

As I was reading the thread I was wondering if any of the Obama's zombies will show up. YOU MADE IT MAN!! Wow
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 21 May 2011, 22:04:49

fiedag wrote: I also feel the duty to protect the children of those parents who expose their children to such risks.

Such risks? What are they exactly. I don't know if you are aware but there is another great injustice and danger many children endure on behalf of their couldnt-care-less parents. They put health and lives of their very own children on line often for no reason at all. They drive them around like if they were little bricks or something. It is known that there is 1 fatality and god knows how many injuries per 20 mln miles driven.
So, it is easy to calculate the great risk for the children:

1)a grocery store run- 10 miles-- chance of death 0.00005%
2) visiting granpa- 100 miles-- chance of death 0.0005%
3) going to the beach 1000 miles-- chance of death 0.005%
4) Going to Disneyland 2000 miles--chance of death 0.01%
5) Driving 15 000 miles per year over the course of 18 years-- chance of death 1.35 %
6) now what if you have 5 kids? Chances are that you will kill at least one with your driving until they are 18 are 6.75%
7) what if your driving is impaired ( s****** or /and old vehicle, sloppy maintenance, p***-poor driving skills and/or habits, residence in or near the ghetto, etc) then you can easily increase that number 2, 3 or even 4 times. Think about it-- there is an up to 27% chance that you will kill at least one of your 5 kids by your driving till they are 18.
Russian roulette does not yield more than 16.6%.
Now I think everyone would agree that something must be done to protect the children from parents that will play Russian roulette with them more than once.
May I suggest a motion against driving kids in automobiles until they reach the age at which they would understand the risks involved and sign appropriate waivers?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mattduke » Sat 21 May 2011, 22:10:19

"X is bad for you, so if you do X, we'll hurt you." Ridiculous.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 21 May 2011, 23:44:11

OK, I gotta ask, how many antivaccination people are here? Show of hands....
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Sun 22 May 2011, 04:12:03

Why risk drinking raw milk? Just take your probiotics to get the necessary bacteria you need w/o the risk.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion