Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Republican (general) Thread pt 4

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Sarah Palin - Energy Secretary

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 14:50:01

Hey Planty! Your girl wants to be Energy Secretary so she can dissolve the post and let each state be their own petro-state. I'm sure, despite your deathbed conversion to so-called "concern" about AGW that you welcome this news. I will expect you to be pulling the lever for Trump so that Sarah can continue to prove she is the "drill baby drill" candidate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... -for-long/

"oil and gas and minerals, those things that God has dumped on this part of the Earth for mankind's use, instead of relying on unfriendly foreign nations for us to import their resources."

There's her position. Fossil fuels are mandated by God for us to use as we see fit. No mention of climate change. That's your girl. You supported her in 2008 and NEVER withdrew your endorsement to this day. Reconcile that.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
permanently banned

Re: Sarah Palin - Energy Secretary

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 16:03:40

The interview with Palin, if anyone's interested:

Palin Defends Trump: We Need a ‘Tough’ POTUS, Not a Master of Trivial Pursuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcbMf2x9hSU

This is actually pretty good for Trump, politically.

Palin had been liking Trump but not full on endorsing, now it looks like she is campaigning for him. She could be an effective campaigner for him, in the GOP.

Palin also said that overall, it's admirable to be bilingual but we really should be "speaking American" in the US. :lol: hehe

Seriously, though.. you all can have whatever opinion you want to have, but Palin's grown on me a bit over the years. She's a bit more seasoned now and been around for a while in the national scene. And she actually was a decent governor back in the day (from what I can tell from afar, maybe Plant could give an opinion on Palin).

Like on the clinton emails issue -- I actually read a very well written oped from Palin, where she described how she had to comply with public records laws in Alaska and all the steps they went through to be so careful.

So I'm a fair person, Palin's not too bad really.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 16:38:30

ennui2 wrote:There's her position. Fossil fuels are mandated by God for us to use as we see fit. No mention of climate change. That's your girl. You supported her in 2008 and NEVER withdrew your endorsement to this day. Reconcile that.

I'll let Plant speak for himself, I *did not* support her in '08 and actually she was a major factor deciding the issue for me, to vote O.

She was too new back then. Not a responsible VP pick.

She has more experience now. And isn't gonna be the VP -- energy secretary, sure, I'm ok with that. She does know the oil business quite a bit and has a lot of governmental experience in the energy sector.

About climate change --

My hunch about Trump is that, in my opinion, I don't think he would rescind Obama's recent executive orders on CC. I don't feel like he'd be horrible on eco issues.

As a swing voter, I'm kind of feeling like Democrats have had 8 years now. They've gotten enough things done. It's been enough time. I'm liking Trump.. maybe it's time to swing the WH back to R, if it's Trump, that's maybe a Republican I can vote for.

(as I've posted before, just historically, this SHOULD be a Republican year. I was saying that six months ago when everyone was saying "no, the demographics are all with Democrats." And Hillary is unstoppable, etc.

But you have to look to history -- it actually has not happened for like 150 years or something, where the two-term incumbent party wins the WH again. It always goes to the other party. The only exception being when the vice president is running.

Otherwise, the historical statistics are actually against Clinton winning the WH. It *should* be a Republican year. It's up to them to grab it. Trump is a winner, GOP ought to just get on the Trump train and enjoy the ride. :lol: )
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 16:52:16

i hate to break it to you ennui2, but politicians are liars. For that reason it's smart to look past what they say and pay attention to what they actually do

Take Obama, for instance. In spite of what he says Obama's actual energy policy is very similar to Palin's

Consider the following:

Palin's---- supports drill baby drill
Obama's ---- actually carried out drill baby drill with record increases in U.S. Oil production since 2009

Palin's ----- supports opening the Arctic Ocean to oil
Obama ------actually did open the Arctic Ocean to oil drilling

Palin's ------ supports export of US oil
Obama -----actually granted waivers that allow export of US oil

Palin's ----- supports opening continental shelves to oil exploration
Obama ----- actually has opened eastern seaboard

And on climate change

Palin's ----- supported ending US partipation in process leading to new BINDING limits on global CO2 production
Obama---- actually derailed and stopped UN work on a binding post-Kyoto treaty to reduce CO2 emissions

Sure Obama gives nice sounding speeches, but the speeches are mostly lies---when you look at what Obama actually does, WHATS THE DIFFERENCE between Obama and palin REALLY? :-D
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 17:09:50

Plantagenet wrote:Sure Obama gives nice sounding speeches, but the speeches are mostly lies---when you look at what Obama actually does, WHATS THE DIFFERENCE between Obama and palin REALLY? :-D

Hey Plant, what are your thoughts on Trump so far?

I'm just curious, I haven't noticed you saying anything.

I'd value your opinion on it, are you along Cog's direction where you don't trust him?

P.S. If people want the best climate change / environmentalist candidate, Sanders may wind up winning his primary after all. He's up by 9 points in NH. So that may happen too, that people could have a choice of Sanders or Trump on their general election ballot.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 17:23:48

Since this is a bit of a Trump thread regarding Palin as possible energy secretary, and Ennui brought up the environmental issue, I looked up Trump's environmental views.

Hm, he appears to be in the "climate change is a hoax to raise taxes" camp, and blocked windmills in Scotland because it would have blocked the golf course view:

Environment

He does not just deny that climate change is occurring; he calls it a hoax, and says those who warn of global warming only want to raise taxes. He is less outspoken on other environmental issues, though he sued unsuccessfully in 2013 to block plans for wind turbines in Scotland that would power 65,000 homes, arguing, in part, that they would mar the view from a golf course he was proposing to build.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/us/po ... .html?_r=0

But maybe some history of trying to be eco friendly in developments:

Good development enhances the environment

Being in a position to help out at Jones Beach has been a tremendous feeling. I know detractors will be pleasantly surprised when they see how well integrated the design will be with the environment and the park.
Source: Never Give Up, by Donald Trump, p. 97 , Jan 18, 2008

Something to remember though, folks.. Trump would not be Dictator and King. There's a whole other federal government out there and a Congress and fifty state governments and even if in the minority Democrats in the Senate can just block anything they want to same as Republicans in the Senate do now.

The reality of government is actually that executive orders generally do NOT get rescinded, from the previous president.

Obama did a lot recently. I could be wrong, but my hunch is that despite whatever they may say, I don't think any Republican president would rescind what Obama has done recently.

As a swing voter, I'm just feeling like Democrats have had eight years now and eight years is maybe enough. They got some things done, a lot of things I agree with so okay cool, maybe try something different now.

And most of all, it's not like Hillary Clinton is some kind of dream eco candidate either. Oh, and one of her top aides just pleaded the 5th amendment.

P.S. My own personal CC view is that oil industry should continue, while also doing government supports for alt energy. Like musk's solar city, and tesla, and all the battery stuff he's doing. And then that way, over time the world will transition to alts in a market-oriented way.

I'm not actually as far left as Sanders though, to the point of carbon taxes. Just personally, I don't want a government-mandated higher electricity bill every month nor higher prices at the pump. We need to EASE into alt energy, which is actually the current national policy.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 16:13:47

Sixstrings wrote:Since this is a bit of a Trump thread regarding Palin as possible energy secretary, and Ennui brought up the environmental issue, I looked up Trump's environmental views.

Hm, he appears to be in the "climate change is a hoax to raise taxes" camp, and blocked windmills in Scotland because it would have blocked the golf course view:

And so this would make him fundamentally different than the NIMBY folks who, for example, don't want windmills if they impair their ocean views, how?

I'm all for green energy. However:

1). Like everything else, I think we need to openly acknowledge how much it costs, and clearly define and plan how to PAY for it. Such planning includes, IMO, deciding what programs to cut or eliminate to pay for expensive new programs. (And raising taxes endlessly is only realistic in the minds of innumerate liberals, BTW. We can't afford endless government to "fix" everything).

2). The 'green hypocrisy" crowd, like Al Gore and many of the NIMBY folks who claim the actual substance of reducing carbon footprints should be left to someone ELSE, while they continue to live large while spouting "concern" for the environment doesn't exactly impress me. (Because at the end of the day it's the same problem as #1, someone has to pay for it -- and they don't want to be part of PAYING -- just decreeing and preening. Well, that doesn't get the job done.)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 17:36:29

Outcast_Searcher wrote:And so this would make him fundamentally different than the NIMBY folks who, for example, don't want windmills if they impair their ocean views, how?

Personally, I don't mind wind turbines. Just looks like "the future," to me.

I'm all for green energy. However:

1). Like everything else, I think we need to openly acknowledge how much it costs, and clearly define and plan how to PAY for it.

Agreed. I'm okay with govt supports when it's a business model that makes sense and can get to independent profitability, eventually. The things elon musk does, make sense.

So a bit of govt support is fine, for companies that have a solid plan for independent profitability. That way, you don't have to worry about "what's this going to cost" -- it's up to THESE companies to compete, in the market, against fossil fuels.

The alts just need a bit of govt support is all, to get ramped up and competitive.

Example: rebates for EVs. And, something like solar city, if their goal is to put panels on a homeowner's roof and finance it so that the monthly payment is less than the old electric bill from the power utility. Some like that makes SENSE. That's competitive, in a marketplace.

A thing that govt could do would be something like loan guarantees, to make it easy for anyone to get solar panel financing.

I'm all for solar. There's things govt could do, to encourage solar panels going up on every residential and commercial roof in the US.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 17:43:42

pstarr wrote:Plant makes one of his rare appearances to equate Sarah ("I love that smell of the emissions!") Palin with Barack ("I am not a Muslim") Obama.

But isn't he right?

Far as I can tell, Obama admin didn't do much for the environment other than very recently with the new emissions executive order.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 18:00:14

Sixstrings wrote:Hey Plant, what are your thoughts on Trump so far?

I'm kind of indifferent so far. Meh.

I don't watch much television other than the news on PBS, and PBS basically doesn't cover him.

------------------------------------------------

PS: I'm just back in Alaska after traveling in India for three weeks. Still pretty jet-lagged. Hope you had a great summer, 6.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 18:19:03

Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz and Donald Trump are all giving speeches at the Capitol in DC Wednesday.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

THE Republican (general) Thread pt 4

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 20:53:29

Actually I'm driving semis in JIT, also if you believe I'm jealous of you that is another great delusion as is your thinking anyone here believes your big talking money bullshit.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: GOP Establishment considers running a 3rd party candidat

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 20:54:44

vtsnowedin wrote:
americandream wrote:[ Islam is no longer BAU.

Does that make any sense to anybody
else here?

Probably not many. But then, how many global market players are on here. Apart from a fellow who works taking care of oldies, and you, no one really picks up on this and the other fellow has real issues with a market player (with a dialectic background) posting facts on here...I reckon it has more to do with personal stuff but thats his problem.

Now to explain: The GOP establishment has been running a scam both doing deals with the Saudis and pretending to fight extremism. So have the Democrats. Trump is calling time on this. He has dealt with the Saudis who bailed him out twice, he has had a very public spat with Dil Weed, a Saudi sheik and like Putin, he despises them. Simple stuff really.
americandream
permanently banned

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 20:57:46

SeaGypsy wrote:Actually I'm driving semis in JIT, also if you believe I'm jealous of you that is another great delusion as is your thinking anyone here believes your big talking money bullshit.

Ohh. Semis in superland. Congratulations!!!

I can see the connection there between the markets and political developments.
americandream
permanently banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 20:58:58

Global market player phooey! Currency trader, big woop. Shit talker, woohoo!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 21:00:43

SeaGypsy wrote:Global market player phooey! Currency trader, big woop. Shit talker, woohoo!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U33 using Tapatalk

Not only does our analyst drive semis, he is a clairvoyant!!!!! LMFAO!!! This cant get funnier!! :lol:
americandream
permanently banned

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 21:02:00

Time to put this loser on ignore.
americandream
permanently banned

Next

Return to North America Discussion