Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE " Private Message (PM)" Problem Thread (merged)

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

How do I clear out old Private Messages?

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 02:56:19

Sooner or later my storage for Private Messages will be full and then I won't be able to use that feature any more?

How do I clear out the older Private Messages?

thanks in advance....
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: How do I clear out old Private Messages?

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 07:33:56

At the right edge of each private message menu screen is a colum of check boxes. To delete some messages without deleting all of them clik on the check boxes for the messages you wish to remove then scroll to the bottom and click the box that says delete marked.

Next to the delete marked button is another labled delete all, it clear the entire list on that page.

On the other side of the delete marked box is save marked, this moves the messages to the saved message sub page which stores them for you instead of deleting them.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 07:46:00

Yeah I just figured it out, hey I never pretended to be very smart.... :oops:

Yeah I know it's 4AM where I am, I'm wiped out.

Thought I had a cheap place to stay with an old friend, turns out friend doesn't wear the pants around there, his asshole son does. It's NOT going to work. Trying to make other plans. Hence: Sleeplessness.

thanks for the help though! If it weren't for sleeplessness and dispair, who knows how long it would have taken me to figure it out!
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Tue 24 Jul 2007, 16:22:54

I_Like_Plants wrote:Yeah I just figured it out, hey I never pretended to be very smart.... :oops:
Haha, well if you're here you're doing alright. I suspect you're joking a little anyway. And I don't think anyone should say they look dumb because of a computer problem. Computers are not like the real world in any way. You don't even "touch" the buttons on the screen. But hey that's my opinion, I've helped math majors with putting in their disk the right way. And I've even taken time to explain to computer programmers how the hardware works...

Here comes a long rant...

It would probably make a good discussion in the psychology forum. I think too much of the world today is like magic to people and perhaps this encourages magical thinking. "If I wish hard enough, a technology will come and save the day..." Where as in the old days, wishes didn't feed chickens and water came from the well. And if the well pump was broken, you put in a new seal and it's fixed.

Today water is piped to people from who knows where and who knows how... I know where my water comes from, but to most people they now live in a magical world where everything is taken care of and they don't need to know how to fix the well pump or anything else. Gas comes from a pipe, water comes from a pipe, electricity from wires, chicken from the store. Cake from the bakery. It makes people crazy like the time old kings and queens. "How can people be starving, let them eat cake!"

When I think about these things I think of gas wells jutting from the earth. I think of water reservoirs and the hellish pile of burning coal somewhere firing the generators lighting my lamp. I think of chickens packed and piled loaded up with all the best antibiotics... But to people today, it's magic.

Sometimes I wonder how it affects people. I think it must make them less rational and more childlike. It's like how Americans seem to have the attitude that "it's undecided", like with global warming. Sure part of that problem is from our style of news, the news puts up two "experts", one is a scientist who says the earth is round and the other is a quack with a spinning bow tie saying the earth is flat. To often the news "balances" facts with falsehoods and people don't know what to think.

But I think the reason people fall for it, the meme that everything is "undecided" and "you can't know for sure", is because people don't understand the world around them. They don't know anything for sure. If you tell someone the screen is "the computer" and the "box" is just for working the keyboard, they will believe you. If they see on the news the dollar is strong and the stock market has never been higher, most people have no way to evaluate that. They must believe or not believe. I guess that's why news channels say things like "news you can trust". Because people have trouble telling what's true anymore.

And the worst part about people not understanding their world is they think they cannot understand it so they don't ask questions anymore. So hey, you you're at least smart enough to ask questions! And that puts you way ahead of the curve!

Anyway, a very long rant but that's just a couple things I was thinking about... I hope you enjoyed :)
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Private Messages

Unread postby TheTurtle » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 16:15:40

I have a stack of messages in my outbox that people aren't reading. I think this is either because they don't want to read what I have to say or they don't know about the pm system here at PO.com.

To protect my tender feelings, I'll assume it is the latter case. :P

At the top of each page, under the peak oil banner and the advertisements, below the subtitle that reads "Peak Oil News: Forums", there are 6 links laying horizontally across the page:

Forum FAQ
Search
Usergroups
(some number) new messages
Log out [username]

If the 5th one does not say "No new messages", then it will say "1 new message" or "2 new messages" or something like that.

Please click on it and read your new message. Especially if it is from TheTurtle. :-D

For those of you who are aware of the pm function, I suggest you do as I just did and clean out your inbox. If it becomes 100% full, then you will not be able to receive a pm from those of us who might be trying to contact you.

Thank you for your trouble.
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.” (Ted Perry)
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Private Messages

Unread postby Stratovarius » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 17:07:09

One time I was a month late on a PM. Maybe we need a pop-up box with flashing characters and audio?
Stratovarius
Coal
Coal

Unread postby gampy » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 22:49:54

The only PM I have ever received was someone telling me I was a "piece of shit".

Lol. I don't look at the pm button anymore.
gampy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Angry_Chimp » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 22:52:23

gampy wrote:The only PM I have ever received was someone telling me I was a "piece of shit".

That must have been me.
Angry_Chimp
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby TheTurtle » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 22:53:02

gampy wrote:The only PM I have ever received was someone telling me I was a "piece of shit".

I will never say that to you, gampy. :)
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.” (Ted Perry)
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheTurtle » Wed 09 Jan 2008, 21:09:11

bump
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Narz » Wed 09 Jan 2008, 22:10:21

Turtle, I think I have figured out the problem. If you leave a message unread in your box, when you next come back the link will read "No new messages" even if you have 2 or 3 unread messages (they aren't "new" I suppose but still unread.

Besides trying to get the admin to fix this glitch I'd say try PMing the people you want to contact again & hope they see it this time.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Cannot access PM's

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 14:40:29

It tells me that's only for Registered users! :lol:
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Cannot access PM's

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 16:22:40

Private Messages seems to be working for me or are we talking about something else?

Last edited by steam_cannon on Sat 14 Jun 2008, 20:33:34, edited 1 time in total.
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 18:32:36

:lol:

Perhaps it's Peak Messages ... when I click on where it says "1 new message", I get this:

Peak Oil News: Access Denied

You are trying to access a restricted area.

We are Sorry, but this section of our site is for Registered Users Only.

You can register for free by clicking here, then you can
access this section without restrictions. Thanks.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 20:36:36

RedStateGreen wrote::lol:

Perhaps it's Peak Messages ... when I click on where it says "1 new message", I get this:

Peak Oil News: Access Denied

You are trying to access a restricted area.

We are Sorry, but this section of our site is for Registered Users Only.

You can register for free by clicking here, then you can
access this section without restrictions. Thanks.

I know often to log onto the site, I have log in, then click on the
peak oil icon to go back to the home page then log in again for
everything to work right... :roll:
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sun 15 Jun 2008, 16:12:44

I cleared my cookies and still have the problem.

Whoever PM'd me, I can't answer you... :(

RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sun 15 Jun 2008, 16:53:43

Have you tried a different web browser? If it's just you having the problem then maybe you're web browser is messed up or has messed up settings. What browser are you using?
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sun 15 Jun 2008, 18:27:54

I'm using Firefox, and it's up to date.

For a while there I could get to my messages, but now I can't again. Weird.

RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bodigami » Sun 15 Jun 2008, 20:59:41

I can access PMs on Mac OS X 10.5.3 + Firefox 3b3 :)
bodigami
Permanently Banned

I got a weird PM from myself

Unread postby Narz » Thu 26 Jun 2008, 16:41:52

"Your post has been approved!. Post: 529934"

What's up with that?

By the way, I haven't been able to access this forum for over two weeks, it's good to be back! What was going on?
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support