Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Pakistan Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: India and Pakistan going Hot

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 00:02:09

This is one of those scary scenarios. The thing is the USA has refrained from bombing any other nuclear power and they have done the same, until now. The closest the world ever came to this was the late 1960's when PRC-China and the USSR were shooting at each other with conventional weapons over a border dispute.

Now you have nuclear armed India sending planes to bomb inside nuclear armed Pakistan. Very easy for this sort of thing to get out of hand.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 09:00:12

Once in a while I read some India news, not closely. It’s easy to see that there have various military actions with folks getting killed. It never makes USA news. There was also recently some incident with China occupying a bit of some mountains and India deploying troops to the area.

So I think these border scuffles are more normal to India than we are used to. But also their AIR force has been hyping itself a bit lately, new fighters.

Not saying it’s no big deal, just that we can’t judge it by our Western standards.

My guess is that if Pakistan wanted a war with India the goal would be to secure the head waters of the Indus. But I think Pakistan would need a partner against India. But I could be wrong, lots of indinan would not fight, or perhaps use the diversion to act against the central givenment. It’s a big, diverse country with many internal batters. And fairly bat shit crazy.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 09:43:18

China is pretty chummy with Pakistan right now. There is your partner for a fight.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 12:55:01

May be so, we will find out. China and India are natural competitors. Still not our fight. We should get the hell out of Afghanistan.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 13:49:01

I wonder if this sort of thing will have a long term effect upon the number of ICBM's that China has? That number is determined by the sort of detente that China has reached with India. The Chinese have a limited number because the Indians have a limited number. If tension between India and Pakistan causes India to increase the number of nuclear tipped missiles they have, then the Chinese will increase theirs. This, in turn, would cause the US to do what? You know that the US would do something. I don't suppose it would come at a time when some corn pone semi-dictator who wanted to gain votes by antagonizing China with a nuclear build out was in power. It could. There is a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment in the US that won't be placated by trade wars or grand standing next to Asian leaders. That's just the sort of voter that a corn pone semi-dictator would want to service.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 15:10:08

Lots of news in India about this. Apparently NY Times said the air strike caused 0 or 1 casualty while in India theybare saying 300-350.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/no-pol ... 207975.cms

Pak used F-16’s, one shot down, India lost a MIG.
https://indianexpress.com/article/india ... 5494/lite/

A good overview of history and recent events.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Pulwama_attack
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 15:25:29

Tanada wrote:This is one of those scary scenarios. The thing is the USA has refrained from bombing any other nuclear power and they have done the same, until now. The closest the world ever came to this was the late 1960's when PRC-China and the USSR were shooting at each other with conventional weapons over a border dispute.

Now you have nuclear armed India sending planes to bomb inside nuclear armed Pakistan. Very easy for this sort of thing to get out of hand.

+1

As an American observing this, it's easy to sympathize with the rest of the world not being keen on American and Russian military actions, when they both have huge stockpiles of nukes. It's easy to root for the home team and wave flags -- harder to trust the other side.

Or even your "allies" when you need to spy on therm. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 04 Mar 2019, 12:05:54

A pretty good wrap up story doing some military comparison.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 04 Mar 2019, 13:37:15

Yeah, crazy, really. It’s a very different world view over there. Or maybe 15-20 different world views over there.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Mon 04 Mar 2019, 14:37:15

GASMON wrote:Mad as march hares the lot of them !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImfIoX6zTM

Who gave this crazy lot Nukes ?

Gas

From what I can gather, both Pakistan and India developed their nuclear programs pretty much on their own. Once the science is understood, its just the mechanics of enriching uranium and designed a fissile core.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: THE Pakistan Thread (merged)

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 09 May 2023, 17:22:36

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Imran Khan was arrested and dragged from court Tuesday as he appeared to face charges in multiple graft cases, a dramatic escalation of political tensions that sparked violent demonstrations by his angry supporters across the country.

The arrest of Khan, who was ousted in a no-confidence vote in April 2022 but remains the leading opposition figure, represented the latest confrontation to roil Pakistan, which has seen former prime ministers arrested over the years and interventions by its powerful military.

At least one person was reported killed in clashes between protesters and the military in Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province, with another five people wounded there, while about 15 injuries were reported amid similar violence in Karachi, Peshawar, Rawalpindi and Lahore. Police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrations.

Amid the violence, officials at Pakistan’s telecommunication authority said regulators blocked social media, including Twitter, and internet service was suspended in the capital of Islamabad and other cities. Classes at some private schools were canceled for Wednesday.

Khan was removed from the Islamabad High Court by security agents from the National Accountability Bureau, said Fawad Chaudhry, a senior official with his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party, and then shoved into an armored car and whisked away.

Chaudhry denounced the arrest of the 71-year-old former cricket star as “an abduction.” Pakistan’s independent GEO TV broadcast video of Khan being hauled away.

https://apnews.com/article/pakistan-imr ... 57b0bc9a54
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 10 May 2023, 00:04:48

Joe Biden has the answer to Pakistan's problems.....he just set up a program that will pay $500,000 to teachers in Pakistan who focus on transgender youth.

biden-offers-500k-grant-english-teachers-pakistan-focus-transgender-youth

I know it seems incredible given the fact that Pakistan has nuclear weapons and is now in danger of collapsing into political chaos and civil war, but Biden's main interest in Pakistan has been promoting transgender youth.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 10 May 2023, 10:16:37

I was reading the WEF risk report.

They claim Pakistan lost 800,000 hectares or farm land in the recent floods.

That is nearly 2,000,000 acres.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 10 May 2023, 18:07:15

The Pakistan army has just called out the army to quell unrest after the authorities there arrested the main opposition political candidate

This is why we can't have nice things......

imran-khan-pakistan-arrest-unrest-army-mobilized

This seems to be a new trend in failing democracies......the authorities arrest and prosecute the leading opposition candidate before an election to disrupt his campaign. Of course this raises real doubts about how fair the next election can be under these circumstances. Perhaps Pakistan is now actually a dictatorship just pretending to have elections......

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jato0072 » Wed 10 May 2023, 18:17:13

This seems to be a new trend in failing democracies......the authorities arrest and prosecute the leading opposition candidate before an election to disrupt his campaign. Of course this raises real doubts about how fair the next election can be under these circumstances.

I would expect nothing less. Assuming Peak Oil decline; The powers that be are going to have trouble holding on to their power in de-growth scenario. IMHO, there will be no exceptions only differences in magnitude.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby careinke » Wed 10 May 2023, 22:58:56

Plantagenet wrote:The Pakistan army has just called out the army to quell unrest after the authorities there arrested the main opposition political candidate

This is why we can't have nice things......

imran-khan-pakistan-arrest-unrest-army-mobilized

This seems to be a new trend in failing democracies......the authorities arrest and prosecute the leading opposition candidate before an election to disrupt his campaign. Of course this raises real doubts about how fair the next election can be under these circumstances. Perhaps Pakistan is now actually a dictatorship just pretending to have elections......

Cheers!

I'm thinking the U.S. is following Pakistan's Lead.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 11 May 2023, 07:39:35

Carinke

Read the WEF Flobal Risks Report - 2023.

https://www.weforum.org/reports/global- ... port-2023/

Pay attention to the bits on polization.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 12 May 2023, 03:42:12

High food prices drove the Arab spring revolutions I believe, Egypt jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire as many do when the military take control.

I'll pass on the WEF Flobal Risks Report, Down here in the southern hemisphere our major concern is avoiding the Roos that hop across the rural roads at night.
Last edited by theluckycountry on Fri 12 May 2023, 04:13:36, edited 1 time in total.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 12 May 2023, 20:46:06

OK then, just watch Don't Look Up, very similar plot, more entertaining.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion