Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Re: THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Unread postby derhundistlos » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 09:23:15

Dr. Jeremy Jackson Presentation to US Naval Academy: OCEAN APOCALYPSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMN3dTvrwY&t=117s
Alone among God’s primates, Man kills for sport and lust and greed. If he's permitted to breed in great numbers, he'll make a desert of his home & yours. For he hath becometh death, the great Destroyer of worlds. ~The Budha~

The good Earth- we could have saved it, but we were too damn cheap & lazy ~K. Vonnegut~
derhundistlos
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:48:52

Caught a summary in print. Depressing.

https://greentransportation.info/ev-own ... lypse.html
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 30 Jan 2019, 05:49:19

Warming Seas Increase Frequency of Extreme Storms

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-seas-freq ... torms.html

A new NASA study shows that warming of the tropical oceans due to climate change could lead to a substantial increase in the frequency of extreme rain storms by the end of the century.

... They found that extreme storms—those producing at least 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) of rain per hour over a 16-mile (25-kilometer) area—formed when the sea surface temperature was higher than about 82 degrees Fahrenheit (28 degrees Celsius). They also found that, based on the data, 21 percent more storms form for every 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius) that ocean surface

Currently accepted climate models project that with a steady increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (1 percent per year), tropical ocean surface temperatures may rise by as much as 4.8 degrees Fahrenheit (2.7 degrees Celsius) by the end of the century. The study team concludes that if this were to happen, we could expect the frequency of extreme storms to increase by as much as 60 percent by that time.

Hartmut H. Aumann et al. Increased Frequency of Extreme Tropical Deep Convection: AIRS Observations and Climate Model Predictions, Geophysical Research Letters (2018).
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dissident » Wed 30 Jan 2019, 20:04:21

Warming seas are a gift that will keep on giving thousands of years into the future. Today they hide 90% of the heat accumulation in the system and make it look like BAU will last with enough effort. But the heat chickens are going to come home to roost and the weather states that humanity and its remnants will experience will be something to behold. Winds with incredible speed and sporadic deluge events enough to change the landscape. All framed in a perpetual drought regime where the water evapourates from the ground too fast to sustain plant life and where water in vast amounts prefers to stay as vapour instead of condensing.

And we actually have a real example of a vapour domination regime in the Solar system: Titan. It has a column methane vapour amount of 10 meters (the Earth has 1 meter integrated atmospheric water column). Methane and hydrocarbon rain on Titan literally washes away the landscape and such rain events are separated by centuries. Expect the Earth to move in this direction but never to the full extent.

Humanity has been extremely fortunate over the last 8000 years to have a stable and ideal climate. And this is one of the main problems since there is no experience aside from regional climate change (e.g. US south-west and Mexico about 1000 years ago) which would guide us.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 31 Jan 2019, 08:38:03

dissident wrote:. All framed in a perpetual drought regime where the water evapourates from the ground too fast to sustain plant life and where water in vast amounts prefers to stay as vapour instead of condensing.

I was unaware that water was a sentient being that had a choice about at what temperature and pressure it condensed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 31 Jan 2019, 09:36:16

Time for vt to retire to a Home For The Metaphor Challenged! :lol: :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 21:55:19

When all that floodwater from the US MidWest makes it down to the Gulf, it further expand the dead zone there :/

The Midwest flooding is going to mess up the Gulf of Mexico

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... e45f02b9d9
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 08:49:30

Everytime I read about dire predictions that Dohboi and Dissident write about regarding our climate in my mind I play the backdrop of dramatic symphonic music with tympanic and base drums along with a few gongs added in. The percussion follows in a metronome rhythm building up always to this supposed crescendo that then suddenly fails to deliver its climax, fading into oblivion with the promise of a new wave the following day.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 12 Jun 2019, 20:31:04

So, basically all ibon has is a verbal sneer. Not a link, not an argument, not new data...

When that's all ya got, you've basically admitted that you've lost the argument.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 12 Jun 2019, 20:36:59

dohboi wrote:So, basically all ibon has is a verbal sneer. Not a link, not an argument, not new data...

When that's all ya got, you've basically admitted that you've lost the argument.

winners and losers. Whose trivializing the topic?

I am only pointing out the endless boy who cries wolf posts. And if I, well read and deeply learned in ecology, feels this way, imagine the average joe out there?

But you did reveal the motive behind your posts..... winners and losers. Pathetic.

Why I call you out Dohboi? .... For you this is so much more about the game, the politics, the holier than thou bullshit, your ideology as virtuous vs the wealthy and fossil fuel industry who are to blame.

Your actual concern about the biosphere lies beneath all this game you play.........

Yeah, I am calling you out on that.......
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 15:21:32

For the record, I don't consider myself virtuous.

I'm not sure that anything like virtue is really possible.

Those who have no argument or viable positions resort to such ad hominems and to distorting the positions of their opponents/interlocutors.

This is what I see you doing here. Please prove me wrong.

ETA: For myself and others, perhaps it could be clarified exactly what kind of censorship you are imposing here...can people no longer post any links to any scientific studies that are anything other than rosy in their predictions for the future? Or does this ban only apply to me? Or are you just letting off steam?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 20:42:48

I have to apologize in advance to Ib for posting another not-very-pleasant scientific study.

Europe's Seas to Lose Almost a Third of Life Due to Climate Change: Report

https://www.dw.com/en/europes-seas-to-l ... a-49024909

Europe's waters are expected to lose 30% of their already vulnerable ocean life to further warming, says a new study. Combined with overfishing, that loss can threaten livelihood and food security in coastal nations.

With warmer oceans pushing fish toward the cooler poles and larger species suffering the biggest decline, the new report, "Global ensemble projections reveal trophic amplification of ocean biomass declines with climate change," aims to provide the clearest picture yet of how climate breakdown risks the structure and function of our oceans' ecosystems.

While warmer global temperatures have already caused a significant loss and redistribution of the world's sea life, the impacts in Europe will be the most keenly felt, according to one of the report's 35 authors, Boris Worm from Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada.

... In Europe we typically don't feel as vulnerable to climate change as, say, people in Bangladesh or in sub-Saharan Africa. But this report shows that Europe is actually among the most vulnerable in terms of climate impacts on marine ecosystems and declines in marine animal biomass. ... Europe is not shielded in any way from the impacts of climate change on our oceans; we're actually at the forefront of climate change. We can't buy our way out of this...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 14 Jun 2019, 07:40:35

Dohboi,

When you speak you are speaking for yourself alone.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 14 Jun 2019, 10:04:13

Not sure what that's supposed to mean...

Sooo, no one else wants to apologize? :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 14 Jun 2019, 11:12:34

Dohboi, if there is any merit in on line forums then it is allowing feedback from others to be considered. That you struggle to self reflect from what Newfie or I commented on is not atypical. Most of us develop an armor around criticism especially when you have a vested interest in a topic and then on top of it position yourself as more virtuous then others.

If you were sincere in your last statement that you do not see yourself as virtuous then maybe the best pathway for you is to stop a moment and ask yourself why these impressions are there. What is it in my communication that creates this impression?

And then relax a moment and don't immediately jump to the conclusion that Newfie or Ibon have some agenda or bias against you. That the feedback you are getting is not an ad hominem but sincere.

If you are able get that far then take a big breath and go to the thread about meat eaters killing the planet and read through it pretending that you are a 3rd person reading Dohboi's comments. In this way you stand outside yourself .

If you are brave and curious you just might understand how others see you.

This is not easy for anyone to do.

Try it.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 14 Jun 2019, 15:00:31

I am neither in control of nor responsible for the misperceptions anyone may have of me, nor do I have access to exactly what set of prejudices, paranoias, layers of denial, etc, that what I have said may have triggered in them.

Can we get back to discussions of what is happening to our oceans and world now? Or is now always going to be the mods who try to throw threads off topics around here while the regular posters have to struggle to get them to swim within the lanes?

NOAA: 260 Dolphins Dead on Gulf Coast, Triple Usual Number

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-noaa-dolp ... coast.html
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration scientists say it's too early to know the cause. But they're investigating whether lingering effects from the 2010 oil spill and salinity changes from high rivers and a Louisiana spillway opening contributed.

NOAA says on its website that a number of the dolphins stranded from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle had sores consistent with freshwater exposure, but those are common in the spring.

A Mississippi scientist says the spillway opening is at least partly to blame for 126 deaths across Mississippi's coastline. Moby Solangi calls it worse than the BP spill. He says 91 dead dolphins were found in Mississippi during all of 2010.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 14 Jun 2019, 15:13:49

Dead dolphins and seals are safe territory for you I guess.

An opportunity missed..... but few would have taken it so don't feel judged.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 04 Jul 2019, 20:35:56

A floating mass of seaweed stretching from West Africa to the Gulf of Mexico is now the biggest seaweed bloom in the world, according to satellite observations.
The algal explosion in the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea could signify a new normal, say US scientists.
Deforestation and fertiliser use are among the factors thought to be driving the growth

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48869100
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 04 Jul 2019, 21:30:00

Wow. I had heard something about this, but not the full extent of it.

All sorts of things like this are going to pop up like this that I, at least, hadn't even had on my radar screen.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby GHung » Thu 04 Jul 2019, 23:09:56

Harvest the stuff for fuel, or sequester its carbon in the deep ocean. Could even mix all that floating plastic with it and figure out a way to make it all sink. In a few million years they'll saw it up into bathroom tile.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate