No place is being spared from the devastation
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ana-trench
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 18 Feb 2017, 19:37:18

As predicted by climate science "Oxygen Levels In The Ocean Have Dropped Due To Climate Change "
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/o ... te-change/
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 18 Feb 2017, 19:47:13

onlooker wrote:As predicted by climate science "Oxygen Levels In The Ocean Have Dropped Due To Climate Change "
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/o ... te-change/

Actually a proper scientist would say Ocean Oxygen levels have dropped, of the many possible reasons for this we believe Global Warming is a significant factor.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 18 Feb 2017, 23:24:03

Actually ... the article said it was due to he heating of the oceans. 2% in 50 years is huge.

Sad some of you don't get it. The biosphere is dying. Rapidly.

Yes, things like tardigrades and thermal vent creatures will thrive under the new conditions. But the rest of the biosphere will collapse.

You will get it, inevitably. Reality is a harsh mistress.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 01:14:21

Hi Cid.....hope you are well
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 01:23:44

Yeah, hang in there, cid. It's looking like there will be a lot to watch in the coming year or two.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 05:03:25

Yes Cid, I and some others are always keen on your observations on the collapsing process. Stay well
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 09:20:03

Glad to see you around CID.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby WildRose » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 13:22:56

The WMO thinks there may be a developing El Nino this year, right on the heels of the last one. Predictions for Pacific ocean temperatures are higher than normal for this time of year, and some are wondering if the warming temperatures are already changing the ENSO pattern.

One thing is clear, however: the possibility of another El Niño so close to the one that ended in mid 2016 is a bit weird. As the United Kingdom’s national weather service notes, there are precedents for close El Niños, but “the level of warming in current predictions of the tropical Pacific is unusual for this time of year.” Then again, oceans are warming up in general, and those warm temperatures could change the ENSO pattern at some point. Scientists are still trying to figure out if that is in fact taking place.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new ... 180962200/
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 17:09:13

possible accelerated shutdown of the Gulf Stream leading to a much chillier N. Europe?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tists-warn
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 20:34:09

dohboi wrote:possible accelerated shutdown of the Gulf Stream leading to a much chillier N. Europe?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tists-warn

Very silly, it has been known for 20 years or longer that the Gulf Stream has very little to do with the maritime climate of Great Britain, France or Norway. The exact same latitudes on the west coast of North America facing the Pacific have equivalent weather effects from being to windward of a large open body of water that stores an enormous heat potential.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 21:50:20

WildRose wrote:The WMO thinks there may be a developing El Nino this year, right on the heels of the last one. Predictions for Pacific ocean temperatures are higher than normal for this time of year, and some are wondering if the warming temperatures are already changing the ENSO pattern.

It almost seems that we are in an El Nino right now. This January in Eastern Ontario was the third warmest in the last 80 years so in other words it was warmer than in many El Nino years. This winter has been marked by an almost total absence of extreme cold weather -- very few days where the low was in the -20C range. We haven't had any record breaking warm days, just lots of days where the temperature was above normal. February brought colder weather but the last week has been pretty warm and we'll finish the month with above average temperatures. It's been warm out your way too -- Edmonton has been having warmer temperatures on average than Ottawa this month. I'll have to mention that to my daughter in Edmonton!
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WildRose » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 05:08:23

yellowcanoe wrote:
WildRose wrote:The WMO thinks there may be a developing El Nino this year, right on the heels of the last one. Predictions for Pacific ocean temperatures are higher than normal for this time of year, and some are wondering if the warming temperatures are already changing the ENSO pattern.

It almost seems that we are in an El Nino right now. This January in Eastern Ontario was the third warmest in the last 80 years so in other words it was warmer than in many El Nino years. This winter has been marked by an almost total absence of extreme cold weather -- very few days where the low was in the -20C range. We haven't had any record breaking warm days, just lots of days where the temperature was above normal. February brought colder weather but the last week has been pretty warm and we'll finish the month with above average temperatures. It's been warm out your way too -- Edmonton has been having warmer temperatures on average than Ottawa this month. I'll have to mention that to my daughter in Edmonton!

Hi yellowcanoe, we had a couple of colder spells earlier in the winter that made me think we may have a more "normal" winter for Edmonton this year, but then this month we had some record-breaking warm temperatures and the snow has almost disappeared. My garden and perennial planting areas are already bare. I guess I should wish for more snow because if we go into spring dry like this, it could mean another nasty forest fire season later in the spring. Overall, we had very few nights in the -20 range, same as you in Eastern Ontario.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 09:10:29

Rather than dig around for the old Deep Water Horizion thread I decided to post this here. An article summarizing scientific findings from the incident. Pretty light weight reading.

http://m.dw.com/en/the-legacy-of-deepwa ... a-37662810
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 09:34:08

T, good points, as usual. And as usual, headlines over-dramatize. They could have left out the 'much' in this case.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 01:55:32

Ocean temperatures off the charts--note especially the Gulf of Mexico, setting new records for this time of year

https://twitter.com/billmckibben/status ... 6382978049
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 03 Mar 2017, 18:33:07

This is why its difficult to have any optimism for the future. This trend must be reversed soon
http://sciencevibe.com/2017/03/03/ocean ... ying-fast/
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 10 Mar 2017, 21:20:52

https://robertscribbler.com/2017/03/10/ ... elerating/
The Oceans are Warming Faster than Previously Thought; Rate of Heat Build-up Accelerating
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 10 Mar 2017, 22:21:46

Yeah...

This is not good
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext