Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Malaysia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE Malaysia Thread (merged)

Unread postby gogota » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 04:03:29

Major diesel crisis in Malaysia: Read this :
link
gogota
Wood
Wood

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 08:27:38

Olduvai theory of industrial civilization is materialized in Malaysia now. Without cheap energy to power transportation and machineries , modernization cannot continue at curret pace. It is not fair, we only start to enjoy industrial civilizations 20 years ago.

My mom's friend who sell vegetables by truckload is getting less vegetables compare to 2003 due to decreasing vegetables output in vegetable market and increasing vegetables price so the farmers directly sell it to the consumers like what Gogota do now. Genius Gogota.

Post industrial phase is coming soon to Sarawak if not Malaysia. Last Saturday , Kuching suffered major blackout . Traffic chaos, police sirens and loss productivity reign across the dark zone. BTW, 76 % of Sarawak electricity are generated by gas powered plants worse than United States of Latino (previously call America)

I use Olduvai theory as the starting point to illustrated the peak energy problem that we might face but no one believe. Back to current situation.

Due to recent diesel shortage, my friends ask about the Olduvai thing.
As a introduction , I talk about sustainable living. Return to Good Earth.
Made a big mistake, talk about human just another mammal with pants besides circus monkeys in circus.

Christians would said Jesus will provide. He will not let this happened to Adam and Eve childrens. Muslims would said it is Allah's will. Every events has their benefits and only Allah knows best. Free thinker think cold fusion will come to the rescue. Conspiracy theorists said US has tonnes of oil in their own backyards. It is too late to have a happy ending.

However , I do believe in slow crash. The million Euro question is how slow is slow ?? Back to topic, today some raised their voice at the petrol station workers because the station run out of diesel. Sigh... :cry: :cry:
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 08:47:51

This may indeed be a foreshadowing of the shortages to come but this situation in Malaysia is an artificial one created by the Malay government. Subsidizing the cost of diesel only encourages people to sell it in neighboring Thailand for a substantial profit. The government should drop the subsidy and let the market control the price.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MikeB » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 08:51:00

Without cheap energy to power transportation and machineries , modernization cannot continue at curret pace. It is not fair, we only start to enjoy industrial civilizations 20 years ago.

Who has farthest to fall, though? Malaysian or American?
MikeB
Peat
Peat

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 09:08:29

DomusAlbion wrote:This may indeed be a foreshadowing of the shortages to come but this situation in Malaysia is an artificial one created by the Malay government.

Would this have happened if Malaysia was not in terminal decline?
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Choon » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 11:31:06

I think that the biggest problem for Malaysia in respect to PO is the corruption and inefficiency of the government. I remember reading in the papers earlier this month where some local hotshot minster was busy assuring reporters that they're sending in more diesel to the affected areas, that there's plenty of it for everyone and the problem will be over "in a week or so". (And I think this was BEFORE the Jan 13th blackout.)

It's February already and the problem's STILL around? Why haven't the papers disclosed who's actually behind the diesel smuggling? (And I mean specific names, not just "x no. of people in Shell, y people in BP etc. etc.") And aside from the diesel quotas, has there been any SUBSTANTIAL action taken by the relevant authorities?

I know Matt Savinar said not to trust the government to save us from PO, but only after Jan 13th + this diesel affair do I really begin to understand the severity of this statement.
Choon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lowem » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 11:55:15

MikeB wrote:Who has farthest to fall, though? Malaysian or American?

America, of course.

Malaysia has an ecological footprint of "almost" parity. Plenty of agricultural land, has got its own oil & gas.

On the other hand, US-style horizontal suburban sprawl is coming to the Johor and Malacca states. The capital city, KL is already having it pretty bad (already spread out quite far).
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 15:28:03

BabyPeanut wrote:
DomusAlbion wrote:This may indeed be a foreshadowing of the shortages to come but this situation in Malaysia is an artificial one created by the Malay government.

Would this have happened if Malaysia was not in terminal decline?

Oops, that was a bit too foward looking.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/oil.html
Malaysia shows little potential for any significant new finds, and its output is expected to peak at around 750,000 barrels per day in this decade and then gradually decline to less than 700,000 barrels per day by 2025.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/malaysia.html
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Tue 01 Feb 2005, 23:05:09

Choon wrote:It's February already and the problem's STILL around? Why haven't the papers disclosed who's actually behind the diesel smuggling?

Actually, diesel smuggling happens since 30 years ago. Theoritically, construction sites must use unsubsidized diesel and subsidized diesel is for public and private land transportation only. However as usual every one with IQ more than 20 , knows it is more profitable to buy diesel from petrol stations at subsidized price instead of higher costs of unsubsidized diesel. So everyone who buy a small bottle of diesel for their boat can be considered as diesel smuggler ??

Choon wrote:I know Matt Savinar said not to trust the government to save us from PO, but only after Jan 13th + this diesel affair do I really begin to understand the severity of this statement.

Trust government to solve your problems ?? You must be joking right ?? You are a Malaysian Chinese right ?? If you study ancient Chinese history since 5000 years ago, you will notice that governments can only declared wars and blamed others in time of crisis. "Poland is invading and killing our childrens.Fuel shortage as a result of greedy petrol station owners or fuel smugglers." Bla,bla the list is endless. I never find a Chinese that trust the government to solve their problems until now. Open your Confucious , Lao Tzi books and read them, Choon.

DomusAlbion wrote: Subsidizing the cost of diesel only encourages people to sell it in neighboring Thailand for a substantial profit. The government should drop the subsidy and let the market control the price.

What will happen if fuel subsidies is remove overnight ?? Riots, bank runs or even worse National Blackout holiday. On the other hand, the subsidies
cannot last forever.

Mr. BabyPeanut , Malaysia is a net crude petroleum exporter as illustrated in your graphs. However , we are net petroleum products importer since 2003 according to a local newspaper.

However, Malaysia depends too much on gas powered plants to generate electricity. Newspaper don't report anything about 'peak oil' except the typical crucified the diesel smugglers comments. Many oil palm and rubber plantations were abandoned due to lack of labourers to harvest those 'biodiesel'. Most if not all illegal immigrants were deported last month. :roll:

Now everyone want them back... :P
Come ,come we give you food, drink and IC card if necessary.
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Choon » Wed 02 Feb 2005, 03:21:49

BorneoRagnarok, I never said I trusted the government, what I meant was that I finally really understood Matt Savinar's statement.

What has Poland got to do with ancient Chinese history, by the way? And yes, I'm Malaysian Chinese.

Okay, I think I better stop before I swerve way off-topic.... :P
Choon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MikeB » Wed 02 Feb 2005, 06:46:06

If you study ancient Chinese history since 5000 years ago, you will notice that governments can only declared wars and blamed others in time of crisis.

If you study ANY history.

More evidence of a universal human nature. The irony is too much.
MikeB
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pup55 » Wed 02 Feb 2005, 19:17:19

Genius Gogota and Borneo Ragnarok:

Why aren't you guys trying to make diesel out of palm oil in a 55-gallon drum in your back yard and selling it to some of these irate truckers to keep their trucks running?

Bytesmiths has a way to do it, maybe he will give you some advice.

All you need is a cooperative friend with a diesel vehicle to de-bug your formulation before you go public.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Wed 02 Feb 2005, 23:50:32

pup55 wrote:Genius Gogota and Borneo Ragnarok:

Why aren't you guys trying to make diesel out of palm oil in a 55-gallon drum in your back yard

We are not genius. We just don't watch TV. :lol:
Actually , Gogota's house is only 4 kilometres away from one large oil palm plantation. Recently , most illegal immigrants were deported from Malaysia so there are not enough manpowers to harvest the fruits.

We had long discussions about everything while we were having a long long bath in the jungle stream. Biodiesel is unsustainable. Oil palm plantations have destroyed a lot of native land by seizing their ancestor land and turn them into mono crop plantations. And the previously happy natives become wage slaves to those big oil palm plantations. It is going to worsen deforestation problems like soya bean plantations in Amazon, Brazil.

Biodiesel only prolong the agony of industrial civilization by turning good farming lands to oil palm plantations . FYI, oil palm is the mosty productive biodiesel producing plants in the world. Without consistent supply of fuel such as petrol and diesel , people will learn to adapt to local economy and local market. Cities and towns must be restructured or abandoned. People tends to live and work near the farms so less transportation are needed to ferry those foods around.

Currently I learn how to ride bicycle properly and plant some easy to grow eatable plants. Gogota is doing the 'real' things in his farm and orchard. He practiced Fukuoka farming method. Currently , 2 hectares of land can support 4 people. With shit from wandering cow and goat , the unused land can be restored for next season. The land is unlimited here. Anyone can come in and grow something here. Just don't sit on your own hands. :roll:
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

immigrant deportations...

Unread postby hoplite » Sat 05 Feb 2005, 23:54:04

LOL, If America deported "all the illegal immigrants" The whole world would be crying "xenophobic Americans deporting poor immigrants" wah wah wah.

I applaud the actions of your government, they are obvously aware of the danger of surplus population in the times to come, and are protecting you (the citizens of Malaysia) from those hordes. WOuld that our government had the courage to do the same.
hoplite
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby pup55 » Mon 07 Feb 2005, 11:29:55

Malaysia is the most capitalistic place on earth, except for maybe China. I have personally witnessed this in Chinatown in KL where the efficient Malaysians sell "rolex" watches, "nike" shoes and first-run DVD movies before their global release for sub-retail. Also, a friendly, fun-loving population.

Also, I am aware of this long-term exploitation of the land and people by the colonial powers. Before palm, it was rubber and tin. You may have the last laugh, when the colonial powers give up and go back.

Be that as it may, I was more talking about doing it just on the short term to bring in a few bucks during the crisis. No need to go into this permanently if you do not want to. I salute you Genius Gogota for your energy and enthusiasm.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Malaysia - Indonesia cold war

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 02:12:48

Malaysia and Indonesia dispute over oil fields. It appeared in East Malaysia local newspapers. F-16 fighter planes and warships is involved in the unofficial war exercise in East Borneo. Hey! that's near where I live. Red Alert, anyone.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/ ... 7Wd02.html

Have a prayer for Gogota. His hideout can easily outrun by Indonesian if any conflicts break out . As mentioned in previous thread , his hideout only 27 kilometres away from Indonesia. Resource war spares no one. Not even well adapted Gogota.

FYI, recent deportion of illegal Indonesian immigrants had increased the tension. The same thing would happen if USA deported all the illegal Latinos in the states.

Welcome to global resource war. :cry: :-x
When all the rivers run dry, all the forests have been cleared, all the food has been eaten, tell me the value of your money
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

War?

Unread postby PK » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 03:18:54

Hi BR

From my cynical point of view, it appears that Indonesia has every incentive to escalate the incident to draw attention away from their fuel price increase.
PK
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Choon » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 04:23:35

This came out in our local papers.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation

Most of the general populace here joke (i hope!) when they talk about a Malaysia - Singapore conflict. Well, looks like Indonesia beat them to it, this time.
Choon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pup55 » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 21:23:13

Didn't such an attack occur a few years ago around Malaka?
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lowem » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 21:34:33

Choon wrote:Most of the general populace here joke (i hope!) when they talk about a Malaysia - Singapore conflict. Well, looks like Indonesia beat them to it, this time.

Who would've thought that, huh.

On my blog I wrote :

- Don't you think that both being Islamic countries, they'd have better things to do than to send fighter jets prowling along each other's borders? But, if it's about oil, then, that makes all the difference ...
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Asia Discussion