Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Malaysia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Has Malaysia peaked?

Unread postby lowem » Mon 14 Nov 2005, 09:53:32

Okay, I'm not exactly living in Malaysia, but how about a neighbouring country not too far away, Singapore?

My wife's Malaysian - she's got a few friends working in Kuala Lumpur (the capital city). From what I hear, they've been getting bonuses, raises and generally doing pretty well over the past year or so. Better, I think, than the average worker has been doing over here.

And there's some kind of a real estate boom going on, particularly in the suburban areas. Properties are getting snapped up quite quickly.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Tue 22 Nov 2005, 01:11:06

This is 3rd world country if you don't know yet. We are net oil exporter too. Police can shoot anyone they like.

As Gogota said murder and suicide rate increase dramatically this year. Many successful bizmen get killed in large number as business shrinked and more and more competition for less and less willing customers. It resemble Russia during the 'Transition Period'. So I must be extra careful with my head. My biz is quite OK . :cry:

More and more ppl commited suicides. Many of the recently unemployed just find the nearest high rise building and jumped down. Someone must put signboard "Suicide is prohibited here". Many are highly qualify professional with high IQ. Pss tell ya a secret.. My IQ only 105 but I am hardworking :roll:

Law and order ? Well, here we prefer to hire private investigator to solve murder case and hire hitmen to kill the murderers.Sometimes the hitmen killed the wrong guys. However most of the time, the murderers are dicovered in 3 days but police took forever to investigate. Dark justice as in our 3rd world country, court is basically non-functioning. Some need to wait 7 years for court cases. So basically that's the law and order here.

Energy is still cheap at USD 1.61 per US gallon. Electricity rate is USD 0.09 per kWatt/hour. There are not enough jobs to go around and more and more recent graduates spend 4 years at home doing nothing. Average inflation rate is 15% a year. Real estate is a huge bubble just like your nation. Everything is going down the drain in our nation and peak oil is one of the main reason..

For more details about Malaysia today
http://www.malaysiakini.com/
When all the rivers run dry, all the forests have been cleared, all the food has been eaten, tell me the value of your money
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lowem » Tue 22 Nov 2005, 01:50:59

About the real estate over in .my - yeah I think it's probably assuming bubble-like proportions. Just a couple of days back, Propnex (one of the big real esate companies) shoved a couple of brochures under my door advertising a new housing development in Johor Bahru.

But, looking at the prices, my little HDB apartment can buy a 2000-3000 sq ft 2-storey semi-D house - even in JB which is considered to be getting rather expensive. Wow, a real house! lol.

Only thing is, there's not much by way of the kind of R&D jobs in the area. And the ADSL connections can get a little tricky depending on location, compared to the SCV cable-modem network.

And anyway, the gangsters aren't dumb. The dudes with the Japanese or Korean cars don't have much money to rob. Those Chinese businessmen with their Mercedes, on the other hand ...

As for the unemployment and suicide rates, hmm, looks like we're discussing two different countries here, are we talking about the same place? :lol: I can ask my wife to check back with her friends in KL and Malacca later.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby flametree » Tue 22 Nov 2005, 04:50:17

Perhaps the problem is that not everyone is affected in the same way.
The successful people only talk to their friends who are usually succesfully.

For example a lady at work was shocked to find out a second year apprentice chef had to work 15hours a day for only $10 dollars a day.
That is $150 a day before tax. She earns over $100,000 dollars a year. Actually the apprentice is doing ok. A lot of people work for less than that here in Australia. She just didn't know any.

With the new Industrial Relations Laws, Workcover, or as a senator called them by mistake Worst cover we will soon have the same wages they have in Malaysia and with the new anti-terror laws probably the same style of policing.
flametree
Peat
Peat

Unread postby cicaklaut » Sat 07 Jan 2006, 05:29:31

Hi, I'm a Malaysian student in the UK and I recently wrote an article for MASSTECH titled Malaysia’s Looming Energy Crisis

You can get the article at my blog

[align=center][web]http://my.opera.com/cicaklaut/blog/[/web][/align]
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Malaysia's Looming Energy Crisis

Unread postby cicaklaut » Wed 11 Jan 2006, 22:47:24

[align=center]Please use the following link to download the article[/align]
[align=center]Malaysia’s Looming Energy Crisis part 1[/align]
[align=center]Comments are welcome and please visit my blog for some interesting media.[/align]
[align=center]Cicaklaut's Blog[/align]
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Re: Malaysia's Looming Energy Crisis

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Wed 11 Jan 2006, 23:56:42

Welcome on board. You are the 4th Malaysian who registered in PO.com. So 2 from the West and 2 from the East. BTW, CicakLaut (Chechartlawood) = SeaLizard. Finally you 'discovered' about peak oil and made a blog. Converted all those PDF version 7 to HTML lah so Google can list the content inside lah. Kasihanlah those don't have latest and greatest PDF reader especially typical Malaysian who use 56K with no Adobe Reader install. I prefer to grow vegetable and go back to Stone Age way of life with PDA of course. There are no alternative.

Luckily it paid off as veggie price increase 175% virtually overnight in Malaysia. Banyak mahal.. Ride bicycle 50% of the time. No more energy debate on this site.

Everything that need to be debated had been debated.
BorneoRagnarok 2006

640K is too enough.
Bill Gates 1981
When all the rivers run dry, all the forests have been cleared, all the food has been eaten, tell me the value of your money
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cicaklaut » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 10:04:09

Actually, I've been aware for 9 months but only now do I feel confident enough to write an article about it.
"Ignorance is bliss" -But illusions soon fade-
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 10:52:39

Salamat Pagi....great report, hope to see more. [smilie=icon_thumleft.gif]
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Choon » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 12:05:08

Maybe one day, we can have an intentional community in Peninsular Malaysia... Welcome to the forums!
Choon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby cicaklaut » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 12:15:54

Guy's (& Gals), any of you have any info on how long our Natural Gas is going to last? I see it as an even bigger problem, cause it generates 71% of Malaysia's electricity.
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 14:22:11

Guy's (& Gals), any of you have any info on how long our Natural Gas is going to last? I see it as an even bigger problem, cause it generates 71% of Malaysia's electricity.

there is a ton of discovered gas just waiting for a market in this part of the world. I don't think gas supply is going to be a problem for a long time....as long as the price is right to get it to market.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cicaklaut » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 15:39:38

I must disagree. We are already doing our best to market as much of our gas to East Asia, especially Japan & South Korea. Anyone noticed the number of coal-fired powerplants being planned as opposed to gas-fired plants?

http://www.power-technology.com/projects/manjung/
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 04:29:10

I agree with rockdoc123 (a Malaysian ??) that many gas fields are capped or even worse burned like what's done in Sarawak because there are no way to transport the extra gas overseas. To be fair, more and more power plants in Sarawak use coal to generate electricity.

Sejingkat 100 MW power plant is the best example. It use 'near tahi' coal (sub-bituminous coal) to generate electricity. Many people complained days and nights about the power plants as they ended up in hospitals due to pollutant released. The situation grows so bad that even UNIMAS has conducted environment study about the effects of pollutions back in 2003.

http://www.unimas.my/faculties/fk/acade ... g_Ling.htm
http://www.healthycity.sarawak.gov.my/c ... nl=1nl.txt
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Malaysia's oil production has peaked it seems

Unread postby cicaklaut » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 05:44:20

Go to part 11 (pg 5) titled "Production" and compare oil production figures for year 2004 and 2005. The last time Malaysia's oil production fell was after the Asian Financial Crisis of 1998. Despite not being in a recession & very high global prices for oil, production figures still declined. Unfortunately, we will only ever know after a number of years of consistent decline. Ohh, and the decline was 7.0%.

[align=center]Petronas - RM_Half_Year_Result_ FY06.pdf[/align]
Last edited by cicaklaut on Sat 18 Feb 2006, 22:49:07, edited 1 time in total.
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Unread postby gogota » Mon 16 Jan 2006, 00:26:56

Hi cicak,
My name is Tan and I have been hiding inside Sarawak jungle since I know peak oil in 2004. By the way, the date of your report is wrong... should be 2006, not 2005.
Nice to know you..

Sekian,
Tan
gogota
Wood
Wood

Unread postby cicaklaut » Mon 16 Jan 2006, 06:33:35

Strange it took so long to be noticed. It's been corrected now.
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Tue 17 Jan 2006, 03:16:01

Maybe Malaysians have autocorrect mode enabled. That's why no one challenged their stupid lecturers in lecturer theatre.

Hi Gogota the Tarzan , how do you do ? So you in town on Monday.Thanks for vacation in your jungle house last week. Your river water very coollah.. No running water at Gogota place.

Unofficial report told me that Brunei faced the Final Economic Depression since the Sultan sold the golden toilet during 1997 Asia Great Recession. The National Registration official told me that around 1000 Brunei people applied and accepted as Malaysia citizen. More and more Brunei plated car in Kuching Sarawak due to retrenchment of working Malaysians in Brunei.

Stupid JPJ think they want to escape car tax. They been retrenched with no jobs of course come back to mother land. An ex-Brunei engineer said Brunei oil will run out within the next 8 years. Of course what you expected after 36 years of peak oil.

Peak Oil is HERE.. I think Cicaklaut had to fly back from Britainlah to escape natural gas shortage..
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cicaklaut » Tue 17 Jan 2006, 07:04:57

BorneoRagnarok wrote:Peak Oil is HERE.. I think Cicaklaut had to fly back from Britainlah to escape natural gas shortage..

[align=center]UK Gas and Electricity Crisis Looming[/align]
I hope it won't come right now, but if it did, at least I'll see it for what it is and I won't delude myself into thinking it will just be temporary.
How did the Bruneian engineer come up with 8 years? I looked over ASPO's data & found that in 8 years, Brunei oil production will decline from 190 kbpd to about 120 kbpd by 2014.

[align=center]ASPO Newsletter 54 (Brunei)[/align]
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Hitler banned in Malaysia

Unread postby da23 » Mon 31 Jul 2006, 13:55:35

da23
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion