Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Malaysia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby BorneoRagnarok » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 22:13:24

Mr Choon, that Malaysia Singapore drama is just another drama. Many Malaysian works in Singapore to feed their families. When peak oil come, those Malaysians will be fired and returned to Malaysia. Tensions will flared between those Malaysians and local Malaysians as they have higher purchasing power to buy all the required resources.

For detail please google for the tension between illegal Latinos who worked in America and returned to their mother land. Local Latinos envied for the returnees' wealth earning less than minimum wages in America. :shock:

Time to prepare for the killing fields around Borneo. Kill or kill by others.
The first training course will be depersonalised the killing process. Have a life size Indonesian poster picture . Splash it with red paint. Shout "Kill,kill orang Indon" and charge forward towards the picture with swords. Later buy a nice pig leg and repeat the same process before proceed towards the real military training.

Be prepared. The civilized future go down the toilet bowl.
When all the rivers run dry, all the forests have been cleared, all the food has been eaten, tell me the value of your money
BorneoRagnarok
Lignite
Lignite

islam in the news...

Unread postby hoplite » Mon 07 Mar 2005, 23:15:28

Everyone likes to demonize the Israelis for their treatment of muslim palestinians, (rightly so) but has anyone else noted the fact that in every muslim country in the world there is civil unrest, violence and oppression ? Can you blame all of that friction on the US and Israel or is there something about muslim dogma that leads to violence? Are the Israelis and Americans fomenting violence everywhere in the world?

"Islam, the religion of peace" hmmmm
hoplite
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Choon » Tue 08 Mar 2005, 03:28:51

Some more updates...

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation

[i]The country's stand was reiterated in a statement issued by Wisma Putra on Tuesday, which stated that ND6 and ND7 were within Malaysia's continental shelf as published in the Territorial Waters and the Continental Shelf Boundaries of Malaysia Map, 1979.

“Malaysia has sovereign rights and jurisdiction to explore and exploit natural resources within its continental shelf in accordance with the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982,â€
Choon
Peat
Peat

Re: islam in the news...

Unread postby dxmg » Wed 09 Mar 2005, 21:44:09

hoplite wrote:Everyone likes to demonize the Israelis for their treatment of muslim palestinians, (rightly so) but has anyone else noted the fact that in every muslim country in the world there is civil unrest, violence and oppression ? Can you blame all of that friction on the US and Israel or is there something about muslim dogma that leads to violence? Are the Israelis and Americans fomenting violence everywhere in the world?

"Islam, the religion of peace" hmmmm

Just talk about The resource war please. So, better stop any unrelated issue here.
dxmg
Wood
Wood

Bullish Biodiesel: Malaysian Biotech Firm Ups Palm Yield 30%

Unread postby lorenzo » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 09:49:45

The Green Car Congress has an interesting article about palm oil derived biodiesel being looked at more and more as having tremendous potential as diesel substitute.

A biotech firm has succeeded in creating a new clone with 30% more yield.

Instead of 6MT per hectare, we now get a whopping 9MT, which comes down to roughly 54 barrels of oil per hectare.

Someone should really do the math and see how much palm oil plantations we'd need to substitute all diesel on the planet.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RonMN » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 10:10:13

Let's see...83 Million barrels (per day)...devided by 54 barrels per hectar means roughly 1,537,000 hectars would give the world a 1 day supply of oil.

X 365 (days) would be over half a billion hectars :lol:
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Madpaddy » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 10:12:22

Back of matchbox calculations.
30 billion barrels a year / 54 barrels per hectare = 556 million hectares.

Total land area: 13,049 million hectares

Source: UNEP

556x100/13049 = 4.26% of global land area.

However only about 1500-2000 million hectares are arable 556x100/2000 = 28% of arable land is required. Hope you like eating rapeseed.

I'm being flippant -
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Starvid » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 10:54:30

Well, 28 % is not to bad. Huge areas of arable land are extremely underproductive due to inefficient farming. For example I don't believe mechanized equipment or chemical fertilizers are used much at all in Africa. Maybe biodiesel export could lift Africa out of its misery? :)

By the way, could genentical manipulation increase the oil yield of oil plants? Or is that what the Malaysian company did?
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 11:01:01

RonMN wrote:Let's see...83 Million barrels (per day)...devided by 54 barrels per hectar means roughly 1,537,000 hectars would give the world a 1 day supply of oil.

You don't know much about the oil market, do you?

Where do you get the absurd idea that the world uses 83 million barrels of diesel per day?

The world uses approximately 21.8 million barrels of diesel per day. (The diesel fraction of a barrel of petroleum is 26%).

Since biodiesel increases propulsion output of diesel engines by approximately 10% compared to ordinary diesel, we need 10% less, that's roughly 19.6 mbp.

We need roughly 132 million hectares.

Experimental palm varieties even yield between 11 and 12 MT per hectare, or roughly 66 - 72 barrels. If we'd use this variety successfully, we'd need only between 108 and 99 million hectares. That's feasible if you start planting a zone along the equator in Africa, Central Latin America and South East Asia + Papua New Guinea today.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RockHind » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 12:13:34

Biodiesel is less energy dense than diesel, varying according to the type of fatty acids that the base vegetable or animal fat is made of.

Manufacturing that amount of biodiesel would need approximatley a shit load of methanol, currently produced from natural gas.

Converting diesels to run on straight palm oil, or manufacturing new engines to use palm oil wold increase your advantage slightly.

I wonder if any tom dick or rock hind could get their hands on some of these new high yeild palm seeds.
RockHind
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RiverRat » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 14:37:28

lorenzo wrote:Where do you get the absurd idea that the world uses 83 million barrels of diesel per day?

The world uses approximately 21.8 million barrels of diesel per day. (The diesel fraction of a barrel of petroleum is 26%).

I think it is a round about way of addressing if ALL transportation was converted to biodiesel.

Obviously, if this is the case the figures would drastically increase.
If ...'If's' and 'But's' ... were Candy and Nuts ... we would all be happy and fat !
RiverRat
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MicroHydro » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 15:36:15

Since oil palms require a tropical or subtropical climate, complete conversion to biodiesel would require that all the arable land in the entire tropical belt be used to produce biodiesel. This would only work if the world population were reduced by at least 5 billion, since no tropical or subtropical land would be available for food production. Goodbye rice paddies, chocolate, cane sugar, bananas, coffee and rain forests.

But, it would allow the billion surviving rich people in the temperate zone to keep motoring. Meanwhile half a billion enslaved tropical people would have to do manual labor on the palm plantations. I am sure the bioweapons engineers are already working diligently on the problem of food "demand destruction'. :(
"The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air... Much that once was, is lost..." - Galadriel
MicroHydro
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 16:21:58

MicroHydro wrote:Since oil palms require a tropical or subtropical climate, complete conversion to biodiesel would require that all the arable land in the entire tropical belt be used to produce biodiesel.

That's a gross exaggeration (see Terrastat, there's plenty of land available - in subsaharan Africa only 4 to 5% of all potential arable land is currently used, and it is used very inefficiently).

But still, I agree that it would take up too much land. The point however is that there's ample room for better car and diesel engine design, which may reduce current fuel consumption by up to 50%. See this MIT study.

So if you take this into account, it is fair to say that in the near future, all diesel can be quite easily substituted by palm oil derived biodiesel.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Wed 27 Apr 2005, 16:25:57

Starvid wrote:Huge areas of arable land are extremely underproductive due to inefficient farming. For example I don't believe mechanized equipment or chemical fertilizers are used much at all in Africa. Maybe biodiesel export could lift Africa out of its misery? :)

That's absolutely correct. Many people are looking into what you're suggesting.

Starvid wrote:By the way, could genentical manipulation increase the oil yield of oil plants? Or is that what the Malaysian company did?

Yes it could. The Malaysian company created a new clone by very traditional methods (basically crossbreeding). True genetic engineering might push up yields even further...
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

I love Malaysian English

Unread postby ohanian » Mon 16 May 2005, 08:04:34

BorneoRagnarok wrote:Thanks . Petrol in Ukraine costs ~USD 2.35 per US gallon. Actually that's the market value of gasoline. So Malaysia fuel price is highly subsidized. A lot of citizens here are unsatisfied with recent fuel price increase. It is pretty bad here. Everyone blamed the government. Below are some of the quotes from a local forum. They are using Manglish but it is pretty understood.

IRB= Income tax

First toll went up.
Then operasi sikap RM300 non negotiable.
Followed by IRB/JHDN. Hand assessment & cash at d same time.
Speed trap here n there. Saman(fine) came by registered post.
Petrol price went up again. New car price going up soon.
N we have cukai pintu, cukai jalan, insurance, installment, hire purchase,
IWK, parking, maintenance, food price went up, bus fare went up, this bill
and that bill to pay. Now........private car for inspection??
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh I tak boleh tahan already. Pressure. Stress. Help. Tough
living in a modern society. Everything is money, money and money....n when
you dont have enough money.... what next???

and what I hate most about this thing..is the reason that they created so
call...'TO REDUCE ACCIDENT'...
somemore they always used the same excuse....

what to do...
nowdays, price for everything has increased despite comment from our
beloved minister saying that price will remain the same..... I guess the
only reason they said like that is because they don't go shopping for
grocerries....

what a great country...but managed by......IDIOT....

that the case of "RICH BECOME RICHER AND POOR BECOME POORER"

MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!!!!!!

Man! I love Malaysian English!!!! I tak boleh tahan lah! I go amok soon if I tidak dapah more money lah! No money No Cakap Lah!

Where can I get even more of this Malaysian English? It's so funny lah!

Ha. Ha. Ha.
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ohanian » Mon 16 May 2005, 08:28:23

Little red riding hood.

Malaysian English Version.

Once upon a time hor, got one girl Little Led Liding Hoot. She want to go to Ah Mah's house. Morning alleady she go out one, she got take come one basket to put flower. She "doe-want" to walk long-
long so go take shot cut. Wah!!! She dono got one animal follow her one
hor! She happy-happy walk until she come to Ah Mah house.

"Ah Mah! Ah Mah! I come, open the door leh?" she talk.

Then Ah Mah also talk back, "Come in lah I never close one."

Little Led Liding Hoot open the house and go inside door...
oh, solly solly... open the door and go inside the house, she got see her
Ah Mah on top of the bed. She go ask Ah Mah.

"Ah Mah, how come your eye vely big one hor?"

"So I can see you maahhhhh!!!" Ah Mah say back.

"Ah Mah, how come your year vely long one?"

"So vely easy to hear you one laah!!!!"

"Ah Mah, how come..."

"Aiyaa!!!! SO many question one ah you... never die before heh?"

"Solylah Ah Mah, I dono mah that's why I ask."

"What soly-soly! Now I want to eat you,
I not Ah Mah, I animal one you know..."

Wah! Little Led Liding Hoot vely scared one, she scleam vely loud
but late alleady, the animal alleady eat her. She now inside stomach one.
Suddenly got one people, cut wood one, go inside the house. He want to
save Little Led Liding Hoot, he go and cut the animal stomach and take out
everything, but he too late, Little Led Liding Hoot become shit alleady...

Finish Alleady Lah!
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby killJOY » Mon 16 May 2005, 09:59:33

Fun to laugh out loud! I scleam alleady. Pidgin English to be nominate for Pulitzer Plize!

However, you forget moral of story: animal one you know soon eat everybody, no?
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Malaysia, Blanketed in Noxious Haze, Declares Emergency

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 16:10:09

Sounds like the inversion layer that sat over Honolulu for about a week, years ago. It got pretty yucky. It showed people what they create when it sits around instead of the trade winds blowing it away.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Malaysia, Blanketed in Noxious Haze, Declares Emergency

Unread postby Choon » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 17:09:02

The haze is practically an annual event for us, though this time it's really horrible. There's the smell of something burning wherever you go and I can hardly see the school just down the road from my house.

Something really strange happened a couple of days back though. We actually had a hailstorm for about 20 minutes, and I was pretty excited/scared since I've never seen chuck of ice fall from the sky before. So for about 20 minutes, my neighbours and I managed to get something that no one else in the state got. Fresh air!
Choon
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion