Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Hedge Fund Thread (merged)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Hedge Funds going for the Gold

Unread postby patience » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 12:41:42

This could have something to do with it. This report from Bloomberg says Us Treasury prices are going down due to "oversupply". Whoda thunk it?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

(Still can't figure out how to make a short link.)
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Wallace Hedge Fund Dumps Founder

Unread postby bratticus » Sun 29 Mar 2009, 17:37:41

Wallace Absolute Fund Dumps Founder After 95% Plunge By Malcolm Scott

March 27 (Bloomberg) -- Richard Wallace has been ousted from the hedge fund he founded after the Sydney-based listed asset manager made losing bets throughout the financial crisis. ... skip ...

The fund reported a net loss of A$28.3 million ($19.9 million) in the six months to Dec. 31 after it didn’t “adequately hedge” and “was too highly concentrated in illiquid stocks,” it said in its earnings report last month. The fund’s shares have lost 63 percent on the Australian stock exchange this year after plunging 81 percent in 2008. ... snip ...
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 10 Apr 2009, 13:04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Hedge Fund Thread.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Hedge funds prepare for another oil spike

Unread postby autonomous » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 17:59:00

LONDON (Reuters) Sep 3, 2012 - Hedge funds and other money managers have started to ready themselves for another big spike in oil prices in the next few months, according to positioning data from the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).

By August 28, hedge funds had accumulated a net long position in WTI-linked futures and options equivalent to 207 million barrels, up from 151 million a month earlier, the largest net long position since May.

The accumulation of net long positions exactly mirrors the build-ups of hedge fund positions between October 2011 and March 2012 (when U.S. crude prices rose from around $75 to $110) and earlier between November 2010 and May 2011 (when U.S. prices increased from around $75 to $113) (Charts 1 and 2).

For the time being, a clear majority of hedge funds and other money managers believe crude prices are set to rise further, before any hit to the economy and demand destruction sets in or policymakers intervene.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48884220

http://pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfnews.asp?i=43059c3bf0e37541&u=2012_09_03_11_50_c9c905fb65424d90ac1e6b3df6cfa35f_PRIMARY.pdf
autonomous
Peat
Peat

Re: Hedge funds prepare for another oil spike

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 18:10:19

This is related to Bernanke's promise that he is ready to print more dollars, along with the Euro crisis and Draghi's promise to print Euros as a way to get more GDP growth.

Oil, gold, and other hard assets rise when more paper money is printed. The higher commodity prices then hurt the economy, but the central bankers are seemingly blind to this harmful effect of their money printing, as its not part of the Keynesian dogma.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby autonomous » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 18:23:42

Buffet is moving into oil as well:

Warren Buffett's company has dropped its stake in Intel (INTC) and added new investments in National Oilwell Varco and Phillips 66. In the three months ending June 30, Berkshire dropped all of its 7.7 million shares in Santa Clara-based Intel. It bought 2.8 million shares in National Oilwell Varco and 27 million shares in Phillips 66.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21313268/buffetts-firm-drops-intel-buys-oil-stocks

Here's a rather doomerish article on Buffet's recent oil investment:
Buffett Now Set For Huge Oil Spikes
Why is Buffett suddenly unloading so many iconic stocks and taking this turn into the energy sector?

We won't know the reason, of course, until his widely-read letter to shareholders is released in late February. But new research released last month suggests oil prices are about to skyrocket.

In a newly released documentary that went viral last month, a team of influential economic experts say they have discovered a "frightening pattern" they believe points to a massive oil crisis unlike anything ever seen in the history of the world.

And according to these experts - who have presented their findings to the United Nations, the UK Parliament and a long list of world governments - the catastrophe may happen well before Americans hit the polls in November.

"What this pattern represents is a dangerous countdown clock that's quickly approaching zero," said Keith Fitz-Gerald, the Chief Investment Strategist for the Money Map Press, who predicted the 2008 oil shock, the credit default swap crisis that helped bring about the recession, and the Greek and European fiscal catastrophe that is still wreaking havoc until this day.

"The resulting chaos is going to crush Americans."

http://moneymorning.com/ob/buffett-now-set-for-huge-oil-spikes/
autonomous
Peat
Peat

Unread postby seenmostofit » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 23:36:40

pstarr wrote:
autonomous wrote:Buffet is moving into oil as well:

In a newly released documentary that went viral last month, a team of influential economic experts say they have discovered a "frightening pattern" they believe points to a massive oil crisis unlike anything ever seen in the history of the world.

OMG 8O Is this the END TIMES we fear? Is it an alien invasion of communist in-roaders set to steal our American Way of Life? Could it be PROPHECY? Nah. Just peak oil. 8)

Nah. The 2005 hysteria, THAT was peak oil. New stuff is more like...people realizing that EVs are being mass marketed for a reason, and maybe it isn't the smartest thing in the world to buy that new SUV. Thats enough to make some people plumb crazy. As far as "history of the world", I'm guessing that the people who wrote that don't know much about the history of the world, let alone the oil industry.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 23:49:08

Ugh. Just watched this whole thing. It was an infomercial. Like they were peddling doom on the street corner. Complete with the fake conversations, you must act now, and the "100% free" wares, that is not really 100% free after all.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby autonomous » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 00:30:49

kublikhan wrote:
Ugh. Just watched this whole thing. It was an infomercial. Like they were peddling doom on the street corner. Complete with the fake conversations, you must act now, and the "100% free" wares, that is not really 100% free after all.

lol - you actually watched the video? Sorry about that but I couldn't resist including it because it sounded like something that was posted on this site years ago.

Nonetheless, it seems like traders are expecting some type of oil spike to occur over the next few months.
autonomous
Peat
Peat

Texas oil tycoon Pickens closing energy hedge fund

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 15 Jan 2018, 01:33:02

Oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens is throwing in the towel on his energy focused hedge fund after a 22-year-long “roller coaster ride.” “It’s no secret the past year has not been good to me, from a health perspective or a financial one,” Pickens wrote in a Linkedin post Friday, referring to the series of strokes and bad fall he suffered from last year. “If you are lucky enough to make it to 89 years of age like I have, those things tend to put life in perspective,” Pickens said. And the energy market has not been kind in recent years. Oil prices — though rebounding — have yet to return to their July 2014 peak of more than $100 a barrel. Pickens launched BP Capital in 1996, when he was 68 and already a legend in this industry. He said running the fund was

Texas oil tycoon Pickens closing energy hedge fund
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Hedge Fund Thread (merged)

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 15 Jan 2018, 11:53:28

The question in m mind is, will he hdge funds invest heavily in fracking and cause another glut? Or will OPEC make deeper cuts this time to keep prices up?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance