Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 01:08:22

python calculations ???? :lol:
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 10:30:58

vtsnowedin wrote:python calculations ???? :lol:

In an era of new languages and procedures and intermixed reading and writing into non-integrated systems, I often find myself sitting at the crux of a calculation that I'm not convinced is delivering the answer I thought it was supposed to. I revert to engineering 101 routines, break out some paper, track down all the variables involved, scribble everything out, and make sure that whatever the answer is, is the actual answer.

Gotta start somewhere when modern things seem to mis-fire. I've got pencil, paper, a 35 year old solar calculator and quite a bit of experience with modern computer problems. So sure. I specialize in using relational databases if only because I deal in large amounts of data. Python has come along recently in doing most of the processing, and if nothing else it is easy to read the code and calculations when things short circuit and check it manually.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 10:55:29

AdamB wrote:

In an era of new languages and procedures and intermixed reading and writing into non-integrated systems, I often find myself sitting at the crux of a calculation that I'm not convinced is delivering the answer I thought it was supposed to. I revert to engineering 101 routines, break out some paper, track down all the variables involved, scribble everything out, and make sure that whatever the answer is, is the actual answer.

Gotta start somewhere when modern things seem to mis-fire. I've got pencil, paper, a 35 year old solar calculator and quite a bit of experience with modern computer problems. So sure. I specialize in using relational databases if only because I deal in large amounts of data. Python has come along recently in doing most of the processing, and if nothing else it is easy to read the code and calculations when things short circuit and check it manually.

What an ego! Why don't you just say you hack some code using a language made for people that hardly know shit about computers.
Sometimes I have to do some yard work. Could you help me describe this big ego style, so I can impress by friends? Weed-wacking just doesn't sound that cool. I'm sure you can do better.
mousepad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:24:24

mousepad wrote:What an ego! Why don't you just say you hack some code using a language made for people that hardly know shit about computers.

You could simplify it that way if you'd like. Not being a computer person, I can't say I know much about what the in languages are, or the magical hierarchy of the coding monkey world.

I just need to make sure code monkeys don't screw up the science. My ego is all about no one being able to refute my published works. Ever.

mousepad wrote:Sometimes I have to do some yard work.

Me too. I delegate it to the boy.

mousepad wrote: Could you help me describe this big ego style, so I can impress by friends?

Have children and delegate. And I don't do yardwork to impress my friends. Is that all you have, to impress your friends? Can't you do a ventriloquist act with a sock puppet or something?

mousepad wrote: Weed-wacking just doesn't sound that cool. I'm sure you can do better.

Been doing better than weed whacking since grade school. Worked my way up to baling hay by age 10. I think you need to modify your life expectations if your sights are set this low. Shoot for a job at McDonalds perhaps, for starters? Work up from there, give it a lifetime, maybe you can make shift leader?
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:33:28

AdamB wrote:

My mistake. I did not realize Python was a name of a program. I thought you just had a "Dam you auto correct" moment. :oops:
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby mousepad » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:36:28

AdamB wrote:
mousepad wrote:What an ego! Why don't you just say you hack some code using a language made for people that hardly know shit about computers.

You could simplify it that way if you'd like.

Here we go. No need to impress people on this forum with fluff talk. Keep it simple.

maybe you can make shift leader?

That's good advice, maybe I could be shift leader.
But I'd like to learn fluff talk from you. Can you teach me? It can really take you places, I hear. All the way up to the presidency, I hear.
mousepad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:50:17

vtsnowedin wrote:My mistake. I did not realize Python was a name of a program. I thought you just had a "Dam you auto correct" moment. :oops:

I didn't realize it either until recently. I took a Fortran course once in college. Was forced into a SAS training course once, a decade ago.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:55:05

mousepad wrote:
maybe you can make shift leader?

That's good advice, maybe I could be shift leader.

You're welcome.

mousepad wrote:But I'd like to learn fluff talk from you. Can you teach me?

Sure. I find the technical writing aspect of science quite....stilted. Internet forums are far more free in terms of style.

mousepad wrote:It can really take you places, I hear.

Technical writing in the sciences takes you places. The internet generally gives you the likes of Alex Jones and parrots like Armie or the real crazies like StarvingPuutyTat.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 12:06:46

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:My mistake. I did not realize Python was a name of a program. I thought you just had a "Dam you auto correct" moment. :oops:

I didn't realize it either until recently. I took a Fortran course once in college. Was forced into a SAS training course once, a decade ago.
My tech school used Basic on teletypes hooked to the mother computer at Dartmouth. Friends at other schools used Fortran and punch cards but I never had to learn that.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 12:27:14

vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:

My tech school used Basic on teletypes hooked to the mother computer at Dartmouth. Friends at other schools used Fortran and punch cards but I never had to learn that.

I still see Fortran in use today.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 13:29:55

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:

I still see Fortran in use today.

Yes pretty much the foundation that everything else was built on. Few if any have bothered to start over from scratch.
Not my field though so I quickly moved on to using whatever programs I needed as is and haven't actually written one post 1975 and never wanted to.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 14:00:33

vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:I still see Fortran in use today.

Yes pretty much the foundation that everything else was built on. Few if any have bothered to start over from scratch.
Not my field though so I quickly moved on to using whatever programs I needed as is and haven't actually written one post 1975 and never wanted to.

To me, writing code is nothing more than mathematical instructions in sequence. Math is math, code monkeys can use whatever they find convenient to add up the numbers same as everyone else. You know when you've got one of these monkeys by the tail when they go all particular on how adding up numbers like THIS is better than THAT, and aren't you just stupid for not knowing the difference! Them being irritated that their beloved nuance is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 15:26:11

Indeed those that like writing code are a strange lot with brains wired up in a different arrangement from the rest of us. :)
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 16:11:41

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:I still see Fortran in use today.

To me, writing code is nothing more than mathematical instructions in sequence. Math is math, code monkeys can use whatever they find convenient to add up the numbers same as everyone else. You know when you've got one of these monkeys by the tail when they go all particular on how adding up numbers like THIS is better than THAT, and aren't you just stupid for not knowing the difference! Them being irritated that their beloved nuance is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

I'll never forget the look of dawning awareness on my father's face at perhaps 75 years old (an old line mechanical engineer who spent much of his career managing mechanical typewriter teams for IBM) after I showed him what a spreadsheet was and had him compute 5*5 in a cell, and said "Congratulations. You just wrote your first computer program.

Things change. One no longer has to use old style procedural programming languages to write programs, much less have a college degree in "Computer Science" as I did, to get LOTS of productivity out of programming, which has been true for decades.

And it's especially ludicrous when people bemoan inefficient programming that comes from high level languages, vs. using Assembler, which I got yelled at a lot for in the 80's, since I preferred GETTING THINGS DONE to saving 3 or 30 bytes of storage or a microsecond of CPU time, given the way computers expand exponentially in processing power and storage per dollar.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 17:08:07

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Things change. One no longer has to use old style procedural programming languages to write programs, much less have a college degree in "Computer Science" as I did, to get LOTS of productivity out of programming, which has been true for decades.

What does "old style procedural programming languages to write programs" mean? Is that like dbase II, or Visual Basic, FoxPro?

I get plenty of productivity out of automated mathematical instructions as well, not sure I could build stochastic simulators without the automation part.

Outcast_Searcher wrote:And it's especially ludicrous when people bemoan inefficient programming that comes from high level languages, vs. using Assembler, which I got yelled at a lot for in the 80's, since I preferred GETTING THINGS DONE to saving 3 or 30 bytes of storage or a microsecond of CPU time, given the way computers expand exponentially in processing power and storage per dollar.

Yeah, I've seen the contractors get all excited over something running in one microsecond instead of two. Quite important I imagine in the right circumstances. Here is the kicker from my perspective though.

A new idea that takes 5 hours of run time beats old ideas running in a micro-second. My world revolves around the new idea, each and every time. Let the coders clean up run time issues as their own measure of performance, I've got no beef, because until I do my job, theirs is irrelevant.

For the record, my last full scale start to finish new idea was in about 6 sequential pieces, and took 2 days to run, assuming I didn't screw something up along the way. Runs in about 4 minutes how in Python.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 18:55:55

They can use this as the prototype for a thread going off topic.
But I suppose it does not matter until gas prices change by say fifty cents a gallon up or down. Maybe next May or so?
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 21:33:30

vtsnowedin wrote:They can use this as the prototype for a thread going off topic.
But I suppose it does not matter until gas prices change by say fifty cents a gallon up or down. Maybe next May or so?

Based on current economic conditions and slack demand, easily available crude oil with nothing more than firing up some additional rigs, a pandemic which should be around keeping demand slack for the next half year, it is unlikely that fuel prices are going to change much during that time period.

We've already discovered that peak oil itself was a crock, yet the website survives being completely off topic doesn't appear to be terminal. A little reasonable off topic isn't killer.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 22:12:56

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:They can use this as the prototype for a thread going off topic.

Based on current economic conditions and slack demand, easily available crude oil with nothing more than firing up some additional rigs, a pandemic which should be around keeping demand slack for the next half year, it is unlikely that fuel prices are going to change much during that time period.

We've already discovered that peak oil itself was a crock, yet the website survives being completely off topic doesn't appear to be terminal. A little reasonable off topic isn't killer.

Peak oil is a crock? Fracking and shale are the only things masking it. Peak oil definitely came true. Just because they found a technology to temporarily squeeze a little more out doesn’t change this fact.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 22:40:15

Armageddon wrote:Peak oil is a crock?

The one you claimed happened 15 years ago? Sure. The axiomatic aspects that Hubbert described in 1956 that you don't understand because Alex Jones can't figure it out? And therefore you can't parrot....that part is rigth as rain.

Armageddon wrote: Fracking and shale are the only things masking it.

Where do you think most all oil and natural gas of the world comes from? Organic rich shales. Duh. Did Alex not explain to you the difference between source and reservoir rocks, and when they are one and the same? That would be too much, teaching a parrot even the most basic rock types. Ask your wife for some money to take a local community college course in...you know...anything? Over a decade you might work up for a entry level geology course.

Armageddon wrote: Peak oil definitely came true.

Says the parrot who doesn't know the difference between a smaller oil production number in the past, and a bigger one in the present, and parrot is confused with the temporal component.

Armageddon wrote: Just because they found a technology to temporarily squeeze a little more out doesn’t change this fact.

What found technology are you talking about? Hydraulic fracturing began in its modern form in the late 1940's. We engineers were doing multi-stage slick water fracturing in shale wells during the late 80's and into the 90's. I was taught to do this by folks with decades of experience.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 27 Oct 2020, 22:44:15

Not even worth responding to.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion