Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 18 Mar 2020, 20:57:41

Pundits have it at about $1.00 a gallon nationwide until the lock downs are over and people start to drive to work again. So gas is cheap but it doesn't do you any good because you have nowhere to drive to.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Re: THE Price of Crude pt 14

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 19 Mar 2020, 13:24:37

I paid $2.23 a gallon today on the Vermont New Hampshire border down about $0.50 from where it was three weeks ago. The little guy that still has a job to commute to is getting a break.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Re: THE Price of Crude pt 14

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 17:18:31

vtsnowedin wrote:I paid $2.23 a gallon today on the Vermont New Hampshire border down about $0.50 from where it was three weeks ago. The little guy that still has a job to commute to is getting a break.

Yup. Also down roughly 50 cents to about $1.75ish here in central KY. If oil stays a little below $25 a barrel, I expect there's a some more to drop.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 Apr 2020, 21:47:10

South Toledo today paid $1.79/gallon. Lowest I have seen since the big price crash winter 2008-09!
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 15 Apr 2020, 07:32:08

I haven't used up the tank full I bought on the 19th so did not notice the price when I was out yesterday.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GoghGoner » Wed 15 Apr 2020, 08:23:46

Tanada wrote:South Toledo today paid $1.179/gallon. Lowest I have seen since the big price crash winter 2008-09!

Wow, I haven't seen it below $1.30 by me, yet.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 15:09:12

After bouncing up for most of the summer gas in Toledo is back to $1.899/gallon again.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 17

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 25 Oct 2020, 19:37:39

Could not find a better thread than here.

Look at the gas price from yesterday.

What the hell does that say about where we are?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 25 Oct 2020, 21:22:56

Newfie wrote:Could not find a better thread than here.

What the hell does that say about where we are?

Certainly NOT that we're running out or anything like that.

Meanwhile, green energy continues to advance solidly, despite all the usual denial from the right.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 25 Oct 2020, 21:30:14

Newfie wrote:Could not find a better thread than here.

Outstanding. I've recently paid as low as $1.77 at a Love's in Kansas, but haven't seen any single price like that in my last cross continental trip.

Newfie wrote:What the hell does that say about where we are?

Well, we know no one can talk about a stock market crash in a stock market crash thread because it doesn't make any sense. Why not talk about empirical observations as to why all the nonsense spouted here bout who borrowed what from whom seems more than a little irrelevant to Joe Sixpack?

Although the doom-o-philes won't like it of course, parrots aren't much for refuting data.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 03:31:17

Enjoy the cheap gas prices while they last. The Biden administration will have us paying European gas prices within a couple of years saving us from climate change.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 11:24:08

AdamB wrote:more than a little irrelevant to Joe?

As long as gas prices are low all is well for you in the world? Man, you're a simpleton.
mousepad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 12:34:51

mousepad wrote:
AdamB wrote:more than a little irrelevant to Joe?

As long as gas prices are low all is well for you in the world?

What a silly idea to an EV owner like me. I was referring to Joe Sixpack, his monster struck loves those cheap fillups.

mousepad wrote:Man, you're a simpleton.

And you really need to drop a dose of reading comprehension in prior to your name calling.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 14:06:33

Even if you are an EV owner charging your EV off your own solar panels the price of gas and diesel will effect your personnel economy for decades to come. Every job opportunity, every profit margin, every product you need and buy will have it's value determined by the price and availability of fossil fuels. While you can choose to be an early adopter the entire economy is fossil fuel dependent and can only covert at the rate that EVs and electric machinery are built to replace ICE powered units. Perhaps in twenty years the price of gas will not matter to the average person but in the meantime it will really matter to you and everybody else.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 14:56:03

vtsnowedin wrote:Even if you are an EV owner charging your EV off your own solar panels the price of gas and diesel will effect your personnel economy for decades to come.

Those of us who lived through the energy crisis' of the 1970's are well aware. Particularly those who were in industry at that time, and in its aftermath.

The US economy has always been diversified with it comes to energy price swings, low prices helping out those folks, high prices helping out others, variously.

Because I am more personally fuel diversified than others, even longer term effects won't bother me as much as most. Wasn't that what prepping for peak oil was back in the days when it became obvious that the eggheaded types at TOD didn't know anything about petroleum engineering, geology and resource economics? Downsize your lifestyle to get away from the increased prices circa 2008 and guess what? Having even a modicum of sense causes discretionary cash flow to rain down in your personal budget. 12 years of benefit of far, and you want me to worry about the next round of malthusian scare nonsense?

vtsnowedin wrote:Every job opportunity, every profit margin, every product you need and buy will have it's value determined by the price and availability of fossil fuels.

Good thing then that the cure for high fuel prices is high fuel prices. Just like all the other times. No one gets to suppose anymore without being laughed out of the conversation that there are only uni-directional movements in price.

Celebrate! The 2008 peak oil hysteria gave us the electrics that mean I don't care much about fuel prices for any of my local transport nowadays. Join the club already, and take your first step against the malthusian nonsense that helped create the modern peak oil movement in the first place.

vtsnowedin wrote: While you can choose to be an early adopter the entire economy is fossil fuel dependent and can only covert at the rate that EVs and electric machinery are built to replace ICE powered units. Perhaps in twenty years the price of gas will not matter to the average person but in the meantime it will really matter to you and everybody else.

EVs aren't early adopter technology anymore. We're 12 years past the malthusian wet dream of TOD's global peak oil call and guess what? It didn't turn out as you thought since then either, using the outmodded ideas you apparently haven't updated since then.

Hasn't ANYONE learned from the peak oil example provided since 2005?
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 16:38:21

While the peak oil scare moved a few people away from fossil fuels and started the advance of alternatives including EVs those are still a small fraction of our economy.
During the scare high prices did depress the economy and when "high prices cured high prices" the economy gained back what was lost.
As to me being old school I have laid down my $100 for a cyber truck so am not exactly a Luddite.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 16:54:34

vtsnowedin wrote:While the peak oil scare moved a few people away from fossil fuels and started the advance of alternatives including EVs those are still a small fraction of our economy.

Sure. But not Norway's. And the S-curve isn't running away from its building result here in the US, now is it?

And this is all happening as a natural consequence of those high prices back around 2011-2015 delivering not just a pie in the face of the geologically uninformed of the Happy McDoomster brigades AND the bludgeoning EV market that developed IN SPITE of those low prices.

Do you have any supply/demand curve combination that demonstrates as higher fuel prices return, they do anything OTHER than increase the speed of the S-curve saturation?

vtsnowedin wrote: During the scare high prices did depress the economy and when "high prices cured high prices" the economy gained back what was lost.

During the high prices mentioned in 2011-2015 the economy grew, globally and domestically. And then kept right on growing during the high oil price cure (known colloquially as the "drill by baby drill" period).

vtsnowedin wrote: As to me being old school I have laid down my $100 for a cyber truck so am not exactly a Luddite.

I coughed up $25G 5 years ago or more now. 135K on it now. Doesn't sound to me like you've got much skin in the game. I'm now playing a rear guard action against the wife and her raging Tesla desire, and trying to talk the daughter in her new found professional wealth to not go for the MustangE without a dedicated charging port at her apartment complex.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 18:25:16

I am not a first adopter at anything and prefer to watch a coming thing go through it's growing pains at other peoples expense and then buy what has proven to work. This goes back to the first Commodore 64 computer and before that hand held calculators.
I came across an old calculator languishing in a junk draw the other day. It is a Texas instruments TI-30Xa which was quite the unit in it's day. It came on and still does more math then I remember how to do.
At present the nearest Tesla super charge station is eighteen miles away and I don't think that was there six months ago.
I do not mind not being first in line. :-D
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 19:50:44

AdamB wrote:I coughed up $25G 5 years ago or more now. 135K on it now. Doesn't sound to me like you've got much skin in the game. I'm now playing a rear guard action against the wife and her raging Tesla desire, and trying to talk the daughter in her new found professional wealth to not go for the MustangE without a dedicated charging port at her apartment complex.

I know youngsters and women are often impractical re mechanical things, but it seems MADNESS to me to want to have an expensive BEV as one's only car UNLESS one has a reliable means of level 2 overnight charging (or level 1 with a SHORT commute) at home.

Depending on supply/demand, regulations, etc., no telling how big a hassle and expense standing in line for public chargers (or trying to find ones not busy) seems dicey indeed, over the next several years (or more) as pluggable cars become more popular.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Oct 2020, 23:11:02

vtsnowedin wrote: I came across an old calculator languishing in a junk draw the other day. It is a Texas instruments TI-30Xa which was quite the unit in it's day. It came on and still does more math then I remember how to do.

I've got a solar powered TI-34 from the year it began manufacture. It drilled wells offshore, did multiple stage completions in shale wells, sat by my side in court cases and bankruptcy acquisitions, has bent aluminum corners from getting squashed in my coveralls against drill pipe, and banged around in my briefcase, can't quite read all the keys now, made it through a full career checking numbers coming off my computers during a science career, loaned it to kids getting their first accounting degrees when they needed a backup to some fancy smancy 8 battery powered graphing thing.

Never languished in a drawer, sits next to my colored pencils, scissors, high lighters to this day. I still need to check python calculations and balance the occasional check book, right?

The tools of a professional, sometimes they never go away. And never needed a battery.

vtsnowedin wrote: At present the nearest Tesla super charge station is eighteen miles away and I don't think that was there six months ago.
I do not mind not being first in line. :-D

I've never used a Tesla charging station in my life. Hardly a requirement in my experience of some 6 years of EVing. Let them eat cake....charging at home has been an absolutely wonderful alternative to coughing up $$ to the local jihady support stores. American electricity for American EVs!
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion