Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Famine Thread

Re: The Famine Thread (including food prices, etc...)

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 23:39:06

Pretorian wrote:Are you suggesting we eat cows from over there? No, and they don't eat ours. If the price will go up it will have little to do with that region, since they are not real buyers anyway.

I think he's referring to a likely price spike here as a result of drought. I doubt it will be all that huge, but I'd expect some uptick next year.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kpeavey » Sat 30 Jul 2011, 00:19:45

so then...the drought in Africa has wasted crops, people are starving...it has wasted pasture, animals are starving and wont make it to better pasture in Ethiopia...there must be at least a partial solution here!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 30 Jul 2011, 00:31:12

kpeavey wrote:so then...the drought in Africa has wasted crops, people are starving...it has wasted pasture, animals are starving and wont make it to better pasture in Ethiopia...there must be at least a partial solution here!

Yeah, lets see if the piper will accept IOUs.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Sat 30 Jul 2011, 09:10:32

"I have long argued that effective policies (whatever the incentives) of one child postponed till late in life could rapidly reduce population levels immediately."
Well so far, only imprisonment as the Chinese are doing seems to work. What form of forced sterilization would you think most effective?

Folks starving in Somalia, must be one mad right wing preaching Norwegian blocking the UN from providing relief. What, no you say, but thats impossible. Preston and other posters here say that Hitler based, at most peripheral Christian single madman must be the cause. Why NPR did a long piece of the rise of the right in Europe and how that is supposed to be linked to the actions of one madman. Strange, they missed the theological viewpoint on not one but an entire organization blocking the UN from providing aid. Hmmm. Google Al Shabab in Somalia, if you are unaware, or actually listen to liberal media.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 30 Jul 2011, 09:59:23

I really find most of your prose almost completely incomprehensible.

"Folks starving in Somalia, must be one mad right wing preaching Norwegian blocking the UN from providing relief." Has anyone claimed that local politics plays no role in this catastophe?

Are these anyone's actual position, or are you just wildly throwing up strawmen of your own fantastical construction, so that you can have the bizarre puerile pleasure of knocking them down?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Fishman » Sat 30 Jul 2011, 11:16:16

Dohboi, or more appropriately Duuhh, a huge part of the problem in Somalia is the Islamic Al Shabab preventing any food from reaching the area, killing thousands. The media has focused on ONE insane Norwegian . Simple enough for you?
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 30 Jul 2011, 13:53:01

No, the problem is stupidity as it is always. Trying to spoon-feed an alien population where every woman has 6.35 kids and which doubles every 18-20 years or so. Djibouti by the way if it will be growing as fast as it was in the last 50 years thanks to our taxpayers will hold as many
as 10 000 000 000 by the year 2210. So keep your wallets handy folks.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 13:32:59

This is getting pretty bizarre and off topic, but let me get this straight--a guy kills almost 100 people with a bomb and a gun in and near a major, generally peaceful European city and you folks are surprised that the media is covering it?

Are you all completely dim witted and loco? Has some extremist rightwing ideology completely addled your brains?

Meanwhile, back in the real world (though I hesitate to post anything here, since some of you creeps seem to get some kind of perverted, racist pleasure from these stories):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=138868265
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 14:11:07

I think the complaint is that the media hours attributed to the two events does not match the ratio of the horror involved. Both are malevolent beyond imagination, but the evil nut in Europe is a puny maggot compared to the evil nuts that are using famine as a weapon of war in Somalia.

The only explanation I can see is that the people dieing in Somalia aren't white. (I hate racial suggestions, but I'm just not coming up with anything else to explain the discontinuity in response.)
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 15:37:32

I think you are on to something, A. There is also the issue of the unexpected--there has been nothing like this in Norway since the last world war, whereas famines in Africa are considered commonplace (even though this one looks to be rather historic).

I have a tiny, sneaking suspicion, though, that Pret and Fish were not outraged that media are not concerned enough about the death of blacks.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby peeker01 » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 15:50:09

dohboi wrote:I think you are on to something, A. There is also the issue of the unexpected--there has been nothing like this in Norway since the last world war, whereas famines in Africa are considered commonplace (even though this one looks to be rather historic).

I have a tiny, sneaking suspicion, though, that Pret and Fish were not outraged that media are not concerned enough about the death of blacks.

It's not racial, it's just that these people in Somalia have been doing this for so long it's not news-
worthy anymore. Norway on the other hand is the picture of civility, and when bad things happen,
people take notice.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 16:22:39

Thousands of non combatants being killed is always newsworthy.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 16:52:20

Apparently not.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Fishman » Sun 31 Jul 2011, 17:44:08

Man you are so slow. Not the news of one person committing terrible atrocities, thats appropriate. Trying to blame anyone who might have any political similarity to one madman, then completely ignoring the political theological viewpoint of a persistent, consistent movement because it doesn't match your politically correct viewpoint. Pathetic, and blind
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 05:17:53

AgentR11 wrote:Thousands of non combatants being killed is always newsworthy.

It is indeed very entertaining, however what do you mean by " being killed" ? These non combatants are merely ripping what they had sown. Stupidity is the cause of death
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 09:52:48

ripping what they had sown. Stupidity is the cause of death

Stupidity, riiiiight--this from someone who doesn't know the difference between 'ripping' and 'reaping,' and who doesn't know that sentences end with a period.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 13:01:59

They aren't reaping what they've sown in this case. Forces that want them dead are preventing commerce from delivering food overland from distributor to customer. What you are saying would be like suggesting that people living in a city were reaping what they'd sown if an armed group cut off their commerce with food producing regions. Its neither the fault of the city dwellers, nor the farmers; its the armed group, and they are killing by means of famine.

Its as old as human civilization, and it is brutally effective.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 13:45:13

AgentR11++

These people are being done in by their own and the blame falls entirely on the perpetrators. Yes, the environment is stretched to its limit and these deaths are the result of overshoot but this is what happens in stressed areas; Group will turn against group in an effort to survive and maintain one's own group/culture.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 15:20:36

dohboi wrote:
ripping what they had sown. Stupidity is the cause of death

Stupidity, riiiiight--this from someone who doesn't know the difference between 'ripping' and 'reaping,' and who doesn't know that sentences end with a period.

Are you trying to say that by being a spell police you proved a mass-murder here?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 15:25:37

AgentR11 wrote:They aren't reaping what they've sown in this case. Forces that want them dead are preventing commerce from delivering food overland from distributor to customer.

Sorry. What? Commerce? Are you trying to suggest that these people got something to offer to justify their CO2 and methane emissions? What is it?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate