Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 9

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 9

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 12:52:43

baha wrote:If main stream manufacturers think they are going to sell EVs they better get with installing chargers ASAP. Only Tesla's are able to reliably take a road trip. This is long term planning...

Glad you had a nice trip, and that worked out for you. Tesla may now have faster superchargers out in the next year or so. I think it's very smart not to push it on the battery re the 95% max charge plans. Why take chances if you don't need to?

Of course, if you'd driven, say a modern midsized HEV, you could get there on 7 gallons of gas without stopping. And within a couple of years, with plans like those of VW's Electrify America are fulfilled, there will be lots of public chargers for the competitors, at rates at or below those Tesla charges for "normal" supercharger usage.

Don't worry about the competition. It's coming at an accelerating rate.

I still think it will be VERY interesting to see when Tesla starts making a profit again with its lower priced mix of cars (Musk says Q1'19 will be a loss), given all the capital it needs for the various commitments in the works. But still, I don't go along with all the shorts who claim bankruptcy is in the offing short term -- I think it's really a question of Tesla's growth rates in the face of the competition ramping up.

And that's why I think Tesla really needs to FOCUS on quality and service -- because reputation is going to matter very much when there are a whole lot of models from a number of quality manufacturers to choose from.

So it's a horse race -- and THAT is very good for consumers. :)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Previous

Return to Energy Technology