Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE EEStor Thread (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: EESTOR could reduce oil consumption 75% in 3 years- if r

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 13 Aug 2008, 03:26:21

Spanktron9 wrote:I hope it does work though!

I think there is more good that could come from EESTOR than just about any other advance in technology in the near term. Even if the EESTOR pack does not exceed the energy density of lithium batteries, which would be far lower than their claims, it would still be a game changer.
mos6507

Unread postby BigTex » Wed 13 Aug 2008, 09:07:27

Do a search in the forums. There is at least one other pretty good thread on EESTOR that I started a while back.

EESTOR is for real, but still way behind on their promises. I think this technology could be very interesting, though.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Spanktron9 » Wed 13 Aug 2008, 10:07:25

I just read the most recent article and it seems that they are simply restating their previous claims. I sent it off to several friends in the engineering field for analysis. The article is full of "if's" and "hopes" and "claims". The third-party verification, along with completed vehicle prototype testing are two BIG hurdles for this tech. Previous criticism has partially focused on the lack of operating temperature range and the fragility of the capacitor. In addition, something about the voltage/amps/current required to charge a vehicle in that amount of time didn't add up for mass distribution either. I'll post analysis when I get it. Here's hoping that even if the tech doesn't work for transportation it does work for load and production smoothing from solar/wind facilities.
Spanktron9
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Ultracapacitors/EESTOR

Unread postby criticalmass » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 14:02:56

All very promising. This is also worth thinking about~

Electric advanced DC motors are more than twice as efficient as a high compression, 40 MPG ICE motor. Thus, taking even 1/3rd the number of ICE (gas) powered vehicles off the road should only lead to an equivalent 1/6 increase in electricity usage from the current grid.
That useage, most commonly used during off peak hours, would be nominal.

Granted this is WAY oversimplified, but what if we could take even 1/3rd of our gas-powered vehicles off of the road? Poof, gone. Then replace them with EV's that charge during off-peak hours. This is a MAJOR efficiency gain with nothing more than current technology.
criticalmass
Peat
Peat

Unread postby criticalmass » Tue 26 Aug 2008, 12:07:21

I kind of had to chuckle at this last post because it further solidifies my bias when you take a look at that 9" ADC motor that clearly needs to be in a car :D
criticalmass
Peat
Peat

Re: Ultracapacitors

Unread postby whereagles » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:40:06

BigTex wrote:
FireJack wrote:Its very nice but how exactly are these ultracapaciters going to save us?

I'm glad you asked. Ultracapacitors by themselves won't save us, but they are the precursor to the more advanced flux capacitor, which we will attach to a supertanker and send it back in time to fill up with cheap oil and come back to the future and stabilize future oil shortages.

ROFLMAO. I needed that. thx :)
whereagles
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:44:50

It's only storage.

Isn't it?
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JRP3 » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:53:36

Cheap, light, long lasting storage is a game changer.
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 15:28:29

JRP3 wrote:Cheap, light, long lasting storage is a game changer.

Still need to burn/nuke whatever to create the stuff you store!

and...

Is it cheap, light, and long lasting?
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JRP3 » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 15:47:45

Quinny wrote:
JRP3 wrote:Cheap, light, long lasting storage is a game changer.

Still need to burn/nuke whatever to create the stuff you store!

Not wind and solar, the big problem with both being that they are intermittent. Storage levels that out.

and...

Is it cheap, light, and long lasting?

That's the big question, no one really knows at this point.
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 13:24:47

NEW EESTOR patent out yesterday:

http://theeestory.com/files/ESSTOR_US07466536B1.pdf

Alright engineers out there, break it down!
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 13:45:45

If they get this eestor thing going and get it in the Zenn, that's my next car!

http://www.zenncars.com/

It sounds almost too good to be true. Check out the city car.

If it does happen, goodbye ICE.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 14:23:23

What EESTOR is attempting to do is kind of like asking Intel to jump ahead and make a high-K dielectric 45nm CPUs back in the 80s or for Seagate to make a 1TB perpendicular hard drive in the early 90s. It took several breakthroughs in manufacturing processes to get to the current state of the art in those respective technologies. EESTOR is saying they can leapfrog those steps all at once. So what's more likely is that EESTOR will struggle with this and look like assh*les for overpromising until the entire rest of the cap industry catches up to their patent at the same timeframe one might guess this would have been feasible (10+ years probably).
mos6507

Unread postby Revi » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 14:30:58

Zenn is talking about putting out a car with EESTOR the end of next year. I think it's a bit optimistic.

It would be a great car to have, though.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby outcast » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 03:37:04

If our roads were modified with something to recharge them after x number of feet, it would work very well. In Shanghai there is a bus route that does something like this, except it recharges at every bus stop.
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 05:37:38

outcast wrote:If our roads were modified with something to recharge them after x number of feet, it would work very well. In Shanghai there is a bus route that does something like this, except it recharges at every bus stop.

Which begs the question, why not switch to buses and recharge something like every bus stop?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 17:00:43

evilgenius wrote:
outcast wrote:If our roads were modified with something to recharge them after x number of feet, it would work very well. In Shanghai there is a bus route that does something like this, except it recharges at every bus stop.

Which begs the question, why not switch to buses and recharge something like every bus stop?

Google WiTriciy - MIT or Wireless Resonant Energy Link (WREL) - Intel or Nikola Tesla Wireless Electricity. Makes batteries and electricity storage not that important...
I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 17:19:25

outcast wrote:In Shanghai there is a bus route that does something like this, except it recharges at every bus stop.

How long does it sit at the bus stop? Can you really pump enough electricity into a bus in a few seconds to get it to the next stop (with some regen while stopping)? Seems like you could extend the battery range but you'd still be slowly depleting the battery. Seems like it would be better put up catenary gradually and have the bus have a plugin powertrain so it could just keep following its traditional route and slowly be transition over to 100% electric.
mos6507

Unread postby JRP3 » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 17:39:09

vaseline2008 wrote:Google WiTriciy - MIT or Wireless Resonant Energy Link (WREL) - Intel or Nikola Tesla Wireless Electricity. Makes batteries and electricity storage not that important...

60 watts of power that falls off within 3 feet? We still need good batteries, and will for much of the world. Millions of us don't live in cities, and never will. Battery technology is advancing fast enough that 200 mile range should be affordable in 2 years or less, even if EESTOR never pans out.
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby outcast » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 08:00:00

mos6507 wrote:
outcast wrote:In Shanghai there is a bus route that does something like this, except it recharges at every bus stop.

How long does it sit at the bus stop? Can you really pump enough electricity into a bus in a few seconds to get it to the next stop (with some regen while stopping)? Seems like you could extend the battery range but you'd still be slowly depleting the battery. Seems like it would be better put up catenary gradually and have the bus have a plugin powertrain so it could just keep following its traditional route and slowly be transition over to 100% electric.

A capacitor has an extremely fast recharge time. The point to keep in mind is that this is not a battery, there are some major differences between a battery and a capacitor, one of them being recharge time.
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology