Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Drought Thread Pt. 4

Re: The Drought Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 14:22:54

This article from the Economist is on our front page but I thought it deserved a bump here. It discusses the water situation in aindia and China and promotes a book on the same issue.

To my mind it really points to the problem of over population and how the Green Revolution has set us up for a horrible disaster. Eventually.

https://www.economist.com/books-and-art ... -and-china
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 03 Feb 2019, 20:47:18

Beyond Drought: 7 States Rebalance Their Colorado River Use as Global Warming Dries the Region

On Thursday night, Arizona joined other states that share the river basin in agreeing to voluntary water conservation plans. Its legislature approved a plan that helps balance the state's competing water rights with of those of California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming, along with Native American tribes and Mexico. The states faced a Jan. 31 deadline for completing interstate contingency plans on water rights; without them, federal officials could order mandatory cuts later this year. Only a California water district had yet to agree.
A 2018 study used hydrology models to tease out what was causing the reduced runoff. It blamed a little more than half of the decline on unprecedented regional warming, which melted the snowpack and increased water use by plants. The rest was due to lower snowfall in four key pockets of Colorado where most of the water originates.

Model simulations run by Keith Musselman of the University of Colorado for a 2017 study indicated that some Western mountains could be expected to lose 10 percent of their mountain snowpack for every 1 degree Celsius of warming. (The models simulated flows in the Southern Sierra Nevada.)

A third application of advanced models across six mountainous regions of the West saw global warming driving the snowline — the altitude where snow falls above, but rain below — significantly higher up the slopes. Rain runs off immediately, while snow is stored until spring or summer.

The results "overwhelmingly indicate" the vulnerability of snowpack to a warmer climate," wrote the authors, from the University of Utah. ...

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/3101 ... tion-plans
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jawagord » Sat 16 Mar 2019, 11:41:48

Seems California’s climate change induced “1000 year drought” has ended early, made it to 7 years, which would seem to be a “normal” weather pattern for California? Another doomer scare scenario bites the dust, bring on the next doom!

California is drought-free for the first time since Dec. 20, 2011, said the National Drought Mitigation Center at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, which jointly produces the monitor with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

“The state had experienced some form of drought for 376 consecutive weeks,” the center tweeted.

The state came close to being drought-free in soggy 2017 when it was whittled down to less than 9 percent of the state and then-Gov. Jerry Brown lifted an emergency declaration intended to conserve water.

https://www.chicoer.com/2019/03/14/moni ... et-winter/

Greenhouse gases trapped in the upper atmosphere mirror the natural climatic forces of some ancient droughts that lasted for 1,000 years, UCLA researchers say in a Scientific Reports study released Thursday.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/09 ... r-drought/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 16 Mar 2019, 17:08:17

I did not want to get on the sky is falling band wagon over the California drought and to be fair about it I don't want to jump on "It snowed so it's over" band wagon either. This maybe just a one or two year pause in a longer term trend so I will enjoy the higher lake levels etc. but not presume that it is over for a couple of years yet.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sat 16 Mar 2019, 17:30:53

Newfie wrote:
To my mind it really points to the problem of over population and how the Green Revolution has set us up for a horrible disaster. Eventually.

Sorry I don't have a link but my recollection is that one of the architects of the Green Revolution saw it as a way to buy time to deal with the population growth problem. Of course we did no such thing and the Green Revolution has simply enabled us to keep growing to the 7.5+ billion people that we currently have on this planet.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 May 2019, 21:21:01

Global Warming Was Already Fueling Droughts in Early 1900s, Study Shows

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0105 ... arvel-cook

Global warming has been fueling droughts since the early 20th Century, when soils started drying out at the same time across parts of North and Central America, Eurasia, Australia and the Mediterranean, new research shows.

The researchers say the surprising early-century findings provide the clearest signal yet that human-caused greenhouse gas emissions are changing the hydroclimate in ways that can devastate agriculture, health and livelihoods.

"What we're seeing is very suggestive of a role for greenhouse gases, bigger than anything we've seen previously," Marvel said. "We're not arguing here that there is a really large effect. What we're saying is, we're picking out the underlying note against the background of a symphony. That note is faint but it's definitely there. And to find it, you need to look at long-term trends and wide areas."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 05 May 2019, 18:43:31

Drought Affects Panama Canal Shipping

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/amp ... 00861.html

.. Carlos Vargas is the vice president of environment and water for the Canal Authority. He said recently that Gatun — one of the largest artificial lakes in the world – was 1.4 meters below normal levels for this time of year. It has dropped more than 0.2 meters since early April. A smaller lake that also supplies the waterway, Alajuela, was 2.2 meters below usual.

“These low levels in the Panama Canal are the product of four or five months of almost zero precipitation,” Vargas told The Associated Press. “It really has been the driest dry season we’ve had in the history of the canal. The flow of rivers to the lake is down 60%.”

The Canal Authority had to restrict how deeply ships can reach below the surface. That means large ships, mainly from the United States and China, must pass through with less cargo.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 06 May 2019, 15:21:39

dohboi wrote:Drought Affects Panama Canal Shipping

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/amp ... 00861.html

.. Carlos Vargas is the vice president of environment and water for the Canal Authority. He said recently that Gatun — one of the largest artificial lakes in the world – was 1.4 meters below normal levels for this time of year. It has dropped more than 0.2 meters since early April. A smaller lake that also supplies the waterway, Alajuela, was 2.2 meters below usual.

“These low levels in the Panama Canal are the product of four or five months of almost zero precipitation,” Vargas told The Associated Press. “It really has been the driest dry season we’ve had in the history of the canal. The flow of rivers to the lake is down 60%.”

The Canal Authority had to restrict how deeply ships can reach below the surface. That means large ships, mainly from the United States and China, must pass through with less cargo.

That is why we should have spent the extra money to make it a sea level canal instead of being dependant on fainfall. Sure it would have doubled the price tag and added three or possibly four years to construction, but once it was done widening and deepening for more modern ships would be a trivial expense like it is for the Suez canal in Africa. Instead first the French, then the US and now China have spent collectively billions and billions on a route that can be crippled by drought or natural disaster. Even a military attack that takes out the earthen dam would serve to close the canal for years.

Humans, short term thinking and penny pinching keep bighting us in the behind but we never learn.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EdwinSm » Wed 15 May 2019, 23:36:58

North Korea has said it is suffering its worst drought in 37 years
BBC wrote:...the UN said that up to 10 million North Koreans were "in urgent need of food assistance".

North Koreans had been surviving on just 300g (10.5 oz) of food a day so far this year, the UN report said.

In the 1990s, a devastating famine is believed to have killed hundreds of thousands of North Koreans.

There is no indication as yet that this drought will be as severe, but it follows a slew of warnings about poor harvests and crop damage across the country.....
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48290957
EdwinSm
Coal
Coal

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate