Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Denmark Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Denmark

Unread postby skeptik » Sat 01 Nov 2008, 04:07:12

Quinny wrote:+ in the meantime a bloody good night out in Copenhagen with more eye candy than is imaginable!

That's if you're Bill Gates or Warren Buffett and can afford it!
Think I'll stick to Spain where a round of drinks doesn't require a second mortgage.
skeptik
Coal
Coal

Unread postby MrMonkey » Sun 02 Nov 2008, 19:08:38

Bas wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Denmark looks good.

Oil production in Denmark has peaked, but Denmark still has North Sea Oil, and is still a net exporter of energy. Denmark is the second largest producer of oil in the EU.

It should remain a very wealthy country for a while longer.

Danish oil production is very small compared to that of Norway (can't even find exact numbers?) and the UK. Indeed it is avery wealthy country but this seems to be more a result of an harmonious society than anything else.

You can find all data on the danish oil fields and production history on this site:

http://www.oil-forum.dk

Unfortunately it's only available in danish i think.

Heres some charts:

Danish oil production from 1972 - 2006:

R/P ratio:
MrMonkey
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Nicholai » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 03:39:11

It does appear things are slowing down for Denmark.

The Government's policies on immigration are also very interesting. If you commit a serious crime (violent murder, terrorism) and you are a second generation immigrant (born in Denmark, possibly only speaking Danish) they will send you to your parents native country of birth. Immagine a Danish speaking Pakistani immigrant in Islamabad who has never been to that country before and cannot speak the language....yikes...
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 04:11:17

Nicholai wrote:It does appear things are slowing down for Denmark.

The Government's policies on immigration are also very interesting. If you commit a serious crime (violent murder, terrorism) and you are a second generation immigrant (born in Denmark, possibly only speaking Danish) they will send you to your parents native country of birth. Immagine a Danish speaking Pakistani immigrant in Islamabad who has never been to that country before and cannot speak the language....yikes...

Another expulsion policy of immigrants brought in for cheap labor for a while. In Spain we are told they are offering to pay the immigrants to leave now.

The question would be, once all the immigrants are expelled, who will scrub Danish toilets? Anyhow, why would Pakistan even accept such a second generation immigrant? Can the Danes FORCE Pakistan to take such a person in? They have more folks ALREADY than they can feed. Why should they take in someone born on Danish soil who speaks only Danish?

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 04:24:10

Depends on what you think the future will look like:

Code: Select all
GDP (PPP)   $212.4 billion (2007 est.)
GDP growth   1.8% (2007 est.)
GDP per capita   $39,200 (2007 est.)
GDP by sector   agriculture: 2.6%, industry: 25.6%, services: 71.8% (2006 est.)
Inflation (CPI)   1.7% (2007)4.4% (July 2008)[1]
Population
below poverty line   N/A
Labour force   2.91 million (2006 est.)
Labour force
by occupation   agriculture: 3%, industry: 21%, services: 76% (2004 est.)
Unemployment   1.6% (July 2008)
Main industries   petroleum and gas, iron, steel, nonferrous metals, chemicals, food processing, machinery and transportation equipment, textiles and clothing, electronics, construction, furniture and other wood products, shipbuilding and refurbishment, windmills, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment
External
Exports   $93.93 billion (2006 est.)
Export goods   machinery and instruments, meat and meat products, dairy products, fish, pharmaceuticals, fashion apparel, furniture, windmills, Christmas trees, potted plants, mink and fox skin, salt, various specialty niche products
Main export partners   Germany 16.8%, Sweden 14.2%, UK 9.0%, U.S. 6.7%, Norway 5.7% France 5.5%, Netherlands 5.3%, EU 69.6% (2006)
Imports   $89.32 billion (2006 est.)
Import goods   machinery and equipment, raw materials and semimanufactures for industry, chemicals, grain and foodstuffs, consumer goods
Main import partners   Germany 21.5%, Sweden 14.3%, Netherlands 6.5%, UK 5.8%, China 5.2%, Norway 4.6% France 4.2%, Italy 4.1%, EU 72.6% (2006)
Public finances
Public debt   26.10% of GDP (2007 est.)
Revenues   $147 billion (2006 est.)
Expenses   $138.9 billion (2006 est.)
Economic aid   ODA, $2.13 billion (2005)

Attitude to immigrants (would you be one? It might matter.)):
During recent years, anti-immigration sentiment has resulted in some of the toughest immigration laws in the European Union.[67][68] Nevertheless, the number of residence permits granted related to labour and to people from within the EU/EEA has increased since implementation of new immigration laws in 2001. However, the number of immigrants allowed into Denmark for family reunification decreased 70% between 2001 and 2006 to 4,198. During the same period the number of asylum permits granted has decreased by 82.5% to 1,095, reflecting a 84% decrease in asylum seekers to 1,960

LinkLink
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 04:43:29

Nicholai wrote:Ah yes, and the beautiful women of course.

Canada/America: Fat, dumb, superficial, uneducated, naive...thank God for European women...

Sorry for breaking it for you, but if you have a hard time(at 18yo!!) getting pussy at home it will be only harder abroad. Don't blame the women, blame your personal approach.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 05:49:43

wisconsin_cur wrote:Depends on what you think the future will look like:

Interesting graph. What it tells you is despite the fact the population has roughly gone up 6X since 1800, the number of 0-14 yr olds remains precisely the same as the population was in 1800. Absolutely level for 200 years! So what would you figure from this is the carrying capacity of Denmark?

Figure if you move there, like about anywhere else you would have a 1 in 6 chance of survival. Less really of course since the locals with family ties are the ones who most likely will make it thru.

There is no doubt the Europeans are going to try to OUT as many immigrants as they can. When nobody will accept a plane load of deportees...well you know what happens. Its European Tradition.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Nicholai » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 11:07:47

Pretorian wrote:

Canada/America: Fat, dumb, superficial, uneducated, naive...thank God for European women...

Sorry for breaking it for you, but if you have a hard time(at 18yo!!) getting pussy at home it will be only harder abroad. Don't blame the women, blame your personal approach.

No it hasn't been hard at all. I've been in Europe for 2 months now and I love the girls here, and they seem to like me...let me put it to you this way, I smell like a fisherman but I don't own a fishing rod. Comprende? At home I didn't have a tough time I just couldn't find a girl my age who could talk about peak oil or climate change. I talk about the same stuff in Europe and girls seem to be open to it.

As for my current state, I'm not going to be staying at this particular ecovillage in Denmark since it is almost all young families but we will see about some others. I hope for the best but if I find that I haven't found anything perfect then I might just be going back to the ecovillage in Quebec. We'll see how things go.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 11:23:36

Nicholai wrote:
Pretorian wrote:

No it hasn't been hard at all. I've been in Europe for 2 months now and I love the girls here, and they seem to like me...let me put it to you this way, I smell like a fisherman but I don't own a fishing rod. Comprende? At home I didn't have a tough time I just couldn't find a girl my age who could talk about peak oil or climate change. I talk about the same stuff in Europe and girls seem to be open to it.

Well, if you need a woman to talk about peakoil I bet you are better off in a european eco-village. Good luck.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SuperTico » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 11:28:25

Revi wrote:I used to live in the rainforest of Central America. I don't know how it would do. There are a lot of people living pretty close to the edge there now. It may be a good place to see what it's like post-peak.

Denmark is a great place, but it makes Maine look like the sun belt. It's dark and gloomy there all winter.

I've been there in the winter a couple of times. My nephew and niece live in Copenhagen

How in the world can you go from a jungle to Maine ?
Sheesh. I spent my entire life saving to escape cold..........
Pura Vida ! 8)

There's no better place to be IMNSHO. I did well in life and can live any where. Here I am.
SuperTico
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mackina1 » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 17:23:29

How could you go from a temperate place with acceptable temperatures to live in the jungle? With the mosquitos? Malaria? Diarea?

When it comes to the prospects of post peak oil life, i would go for a place that formerly had a greater largerly agrarian population, not one with a booming population with a tendency to use their machetes to chop other things than wood....
mackina1
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Nicholai » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 17:55:43

The more I learn about visa requirements and immigration laws in Denmark the sadder I get. It really is a hard gig to get citizenship in this country. Even still, I could always stay for a few years with a work permit and then go back to Quebec. I mentioned to the people at this ecovillage that within a year I could speak Danish and have a Danish name but no Danish passport...they thought that was pretty hilarious. I guess I could always take the knowledge of this large ecovillage in Denmark and bring it back home. Que sera, sera.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby GeneralGreen » Tue 04 Nov 2008, 04:52:04

Pre-Oil age Denmark was a backwater dense forested area of a population of less then 500K now they have more Muslims in the nation then that.
GeneralGreen
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Nicholai » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 17:33:23

I'm currently staying at a commune around 50km west of Copenhagen. I know I won't try to stay here but it's a really fun experience and I'm learning some decent construction skills. The women are beautiful and we make trips to Copenhagen on the weekend to visit nightclubs. I feel almost normal. It's crazy.

I should be here for six months before going back to Canada and taking up an apprenticeship in carpentry.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 13:45:20

Translation: "I can't get l@id at home". :lol:
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 13:48:45

Nicholai wrote:let me put it to you this way, I smell like a fisherman but I don't own a fishing rod. Comprende?

Yeah, you just have one of 'em dinky little "pocket fishermen"... ;)
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 13:51:11

Nicholai wrote:The more I learn about visa requirements and immigration laws in Denmark the sadder I get. It really is a hard gig to get citizenship in this country.

So get citizenship in another EU country; it's almost the same thing. Some are more accommodating than others. I've been a citizen of the Union for years now and I've never even been to Europe yet.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 13:54:07

Nicholai wrote:I mentioned to the people at this ecovillage that within a year I could speak Danish and have a Danish name but no Danish passport...they thought that was pretty hilarious. Que sera, sera.

See, there's your problem. "Que sera, sera" is Spanish, not Danish. Are you sure you're not trying to become Danish in Catalonia instead of Copenhagen? :)
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nicholai » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 19:52:43

I'll be in Denmark until at least June of '09.

It's a wonderful place and if you get a chance to visit I would highly recommend it.

Again, Europe is still overpopulated and I know I'll be heading back to Canada. At the same time, I don't see Canada as being a safe place for the general public. The country is mostly disorganized and lacks the possibility of short term fixes like that in Europe largely due to the massive distances and sparse population. In the long run of course this is the place to be.

I stopped speaking English today so we'll see how my Danish moves along.

Wish me luck,
Nicholai
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion