Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Denmark Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Denmark in recession

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 10:40:00

MrMonkey wrote:We are in a technical recession because we simply can't attract enough foreign workers. We have the lowest unemployment rate ever in history, under 5% and all companies are screaming for more workers.

Sounds like a good time to ask for a raise. 8)
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby thor » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 12:36:39

MrMonkey wrote:We are in a technical recession because we simply can't attract enough foreign workers. We have the lowest unemployment rate ever in history, under 5% and all companies are screaming for more workers.

Why on earth would you want to have more foreign workers? If you ain't got the workforce then just leave it as it is. In view of PO, we all have to adapt to a world that does not grow.

Look at France with all their foreign "workers" and see what they got in return, overpopulated cities full with people abusing the welfare system.

Yeah, opening the gates will really help...
thor
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Pholostan » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 16:01:17

In the last couple of months or so the unenployment rate has increased here in Sweden. Signs of recession here too.
"We cut the earth until it bleeds, rain ashes from the sky
Just to make a light that no one can see"
-- VNV Nation - Carbon
Pholostan
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SD_Scott » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 17:11:03

I've been reading this guy's blog for a while and Europe looks kinda shaky.

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com

Europes bubble
SD_Scott
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Cashmere » Thu 03 Jul 2008, 00:59:15

SD_Scott wrote:I've been reading this guy's blog for a while and Europe looks kinda shaky.

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com

Europes bubble

Nice to see the "US" steady at 0.

Which country is that, the "US"?
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DefiledEngine » Thu 03 Jul 2008, 01:08:30

USA at 0? Doesn't seem to correspond to a lot of news on this site lately. France going into minus? Does that mean that people would get paid to buy houses?
DefiledEngine
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MrMonkey » Tue 19 Aug 2008, 01:20:25

thor wrote:

Why on earth would you want to have more foreign workers? If you ain't got the workforce then just leave it as it is. In view of PO, we all have to adapt to a world that does not grow.

Look at France with all their foreign "workers" and see what they got in return, overpopulated cities full with people abusing the welfare system.

Yeah, opening the gates will really help...

We're not openening any gates. In fact, Denmark has one of europes strictest foreign policy which makes it really hard to get into Denmark - unless you have a very good education in some of the areas that we need workers in ;)

I live in my own house, bought with a 30 year fixed mortgage, in the middle of the little town that i live in. And this is all with a 37 hour work week at a job that i got after my 4 year education.
MrMonkey
Wood
Wood

Denmark

Unread postby Nicholai » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 05:42:04

I'm currently visiting ecovillages and intentional communities throughout the country. How do you think Denmark will do post peak?

My perspective - a mild climate with a decent growing season. The well water is of very high quality. The population has almost zero guns. 20% of their electricity comes from wind. A small country and therefore very little driving is required. Lots of buses and trains throughout the country...I think this place is in fairly good shape. Besides all those Germans to the south of course.

Thoughts?
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Denmark

Unread postby Quinny » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 05:45:33

+ in the meantime a bloody good night out in Copenhagen with more eye candy than is imaginable!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Nicholai » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 08:28:57

Ah yes, and the beautiful women of course.

Canada/America: Fat, dumb, superficial, uneducated, naive...thank God for European women...

Denmak also has high fuel taxes which give it a slight cushion once the American dollar tanks in the next few months (as Peter Schiff has predicted in his latest Bloomberg interview) and the price of oil skyrockets with the falling value of the dollar.

Once things go south there are many options for Denmark. For myself, I'll either need to pick an ecovillage or find a job in a local shop of some kind (there is a cheese making shop near my families home which will become very important in the near future, for example).
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MrMonkey » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 09:28:37

Hej Nicholai

First off, im sorry that i never answered your PM, but i have no information regarding those eco villages unfortunately.

I like living in Denmark and also think that this won't be the worst place to be. Most danes could easily switch to bikes and still get to work, shop and other stuff.

If you ever get down to the island of Als in southern Denmark, then let me know because i live on the northern part of the island :)
MrMonkey
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Fishman » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 10:40:03

No guns, neighbors to the east with lots. Anticipate Denmark will be overrun.
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hermes » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 11:16:09

It's such a hard question: where to try to ride out the PO storm...

Is Denmark significantly better than anywhere else in Europe? I doubt it. Like other European countries it has maximized the land's carrying capacity centuries ago, back when the population was only a fraction of what it is now. At this point I doubt more than a fraction of Denmark's food comes from its own land.

Those pretty ladies are going to look like Auschwitz survivors shortly.

In my opinion the best place to settle down is probably in the rain forest in Africa or Central America, but few have the will to leave everything they know for that...
Space Ghost: Oh boy, the Shatner's really hit the fan now. I'm up Dawson's Creek without a paddle.
Hermes
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Revi » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 12:40:04

I used to live in the rainforest of Central America. I don't know how it would do. There are a lot of people living pretty close to the edge there now. It may be a good place to see what it's like post-peak.

Denmark is a great place, but it makes Maine look like the sun belt. It's dark and gloomy there all winter.

I've been there in the winter a couple of times. My nephew and niece live in Copenhagen
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 14:23:42

Denmark looks good.

Oil production in Denmark has peaked, but Denmark still has North Sea Oil, and is still a net exporter of energy. Denmark is the second largest producer of oil in the EU.

It should remain a very wealthy country for a while longer.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Gorm » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 16:00:17

Danes are nice poeple, been there some times, they dont like guns at all. They are all for good food and nice things to drink and that is important for them. Kind of like the hobbits from "lord of the rings".

Denmark is good, danes are very good.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Bas » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 16:13:24

Plantagenet wrote:Denmark looks good.

Oil production in Denmark has peaked, but Denmark still has North Sea Oil, and is still a net exporter of energy. Denmark is the second largest producer of oil in the EU.

It should remain a very wealthy country for a while longer.

Danish oil production is very small compared to that of Norway (can't even find exact numbers?) and the UK. Indeed it is avery wealthy country but this seems to be more a result of an harmonious society than anything else.
Bas

Unread postby Gorm » Fri 31 Oct 2008, 17:00:55

Also, cars are very heavely taxed in denmark, enormusly. A new car is a HUGE cost there. So, usually one can do without one

Denmark has a huge food-surplus, they feed a lot more than their own.

Denmark is preatty hard to defend and migth be overrun. However it will proabably alwas be easier to cut a deal with them than invade them.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Nicholai » Sat 01 Nov 2008, 03:53:06

Glad to hear. As well, I doubt many Germans will want to come north with the whether as gloomy as it is. It's true, the country is quite grey but Danes are always rated as some of the happiest people in the world. As for food production, Danes have some of the highest percentage of organic farms (per capita) in the world. Plus, people here are talking about energy depletion and climate change.

I think that once I've picked a nice rural ecovillage to settle down on I will be in fairly good shape. If people brings guns and armies then I will just have to hope.

Als - Just north of you in Esbjerg at the moment. I might make it down there at a later date but for now I'm off to an ecovillage near Svenborg. Have fun with all those ignorant German tourists. Thank you though for the invite, I'm actually meeting another peakoiler in Roskilde in a couple weeks for coffee.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion