Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat (general) Thread Pt. 1

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 07:50:20

Plant,

That’s what I’ve been saying since about June 16. That election was about who you hated more.

It that leaves a LOT of room for some charismatic from almost anywhere.

Volitil times.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 19 Dec 2017, 23:14:38

Aaron Colen wrote:A comment by one man in a viral online video has led to a voter fraud investigation in the Alabama Senate race, won by Democrat Doug Jones, according to Fox 10.
What did he say?

After Jones was declared the winner, a Fox 10 reporter interviewed a supporter who was celebrating the victory.

The reporter, Kati Weis, asked the man why he was excited about the outcome.

Here’s what he said:
“Because, we came here all the way from different parts of the country as part of our fellowship, and all of us pitched in to vote and canvas together, and we got our boy elected!”

While some believe the man misspoke, others have interpreted it as evidence that people not registered to vote in Alabama, and possibly not residents of the state at all, helped Jones defeat Republican candidate Roy Moore.

Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill has opened an investigation into the matter, saying he hopes to track the man down to ask him about the comment.

“Well, it’s disconcerting when someone who’s not from Alabama says that they participated in our election, so now it’s incumbent upon us to try to identify this young man, to see what kind of role he played, if it was simply to play a canvassing role, or if he was part of a process that went out and tried to register voters, or if he himself actually became a registered voter,” Merrill said.

Merrill did say there is no actual evidence of fraud, but “when you have someone actually recorded on television saying that they voted, and then that’s what he said, then we’ve got to get to the bottom of that.”

Merrill said the election should be certified the week after Christmas.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 12:43:48

Its funny to hear the Ds whining about how terrible it is that the new tax cuts for lower and middle class individuals are set to expire in 8 years.

What a bunch of phonies.

How many of the Ds will vote to continue the lower and middle class tax cuts when we get to 2025 I wonder?

Probably not a single one.

Cheers!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 13:42:25

Plantagenet wrote:How many of the Ds will vote to continue the lower and middle class tax cuts when we get to 2025 I wonder?

Probably not a single one.

Cheers!

They likely won't have to vote on it in 2025 because tax increases will be needed before then.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 16:11:33

Cog wrote:Figured I would post this here since John McCain is more of a Democrat than a Republican. McCain is on his deathbed(hopefully) and might not be able to vote on the tax bill next week. That would mean that every single Senate Republican must vote for it or it will fail. Even while dying, McCain manages to throw a wrench into the gears of the Trump program.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 3d9bf5feec

Or, even while dying, McCain continues to vote (right or wrong) his conscience. Given the pile of immoral self serving clowns that generally infest the Beltway, I'll give him points for that.

Disclosure: I'm pretty neutral on the tax bill in it's final form, given how much compromising was done to get it to pass. My main issue is all the illogical over-the-top screaming being done about it in the liberal media, as if it were the end of the world.

A lot more honesty about such things from both sides of the aisle would be a good thing, but I don't see it happening, generally.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 19:35:35

A wealthy Hollywood D attempted to bribe 2 R Senators to change their vote on tax cut bill

rosie-odonnell-offers-gop-senators-2-million-vote-against-tax-bill-faces-backlash

Attempting to bribe an elected official to influence his vote is against federal law, i.e. 18 U.S. Code § 201 - Bribery of public officials

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 20:06:17

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Or, even while dying, McCain continues to vote (right or wrong) his conscience. Given the pile of immoral self serving clowns that generally infest the Beltway, I'll give him points for that.

I'm with you on that. As far as I can see his biggest mistake was choosing Palin for his VP. Perhaps spending years in a prison makes you susceptible to a pretty set of Tah tahs. Other then that I think his every vote has been cast in what he thought was in the best interest of the county as a whole and not in the interest of the K street lobbyist.

Disclosure: I'm pretty neutral on the tax bill in it's final form, given how much compromising was done to get it to pass. My main issue is all the illogical over-the-top screaming being done about it in the liberal media, as if it were the end of the world.

A lot more honesty about such things from both sides of the aisle would be a good thing, but I don't see it happening, generally.

Yes I would have liked to see a much cleaner bill but all those Senate rules kept getting in the way with the close majority the GOP has. Might want to look at just who wrote those senate rules and with what real intention.
I have yet to see a read out on all those special provisions and exceptions that were supposed to be eliminated to balance the reduction in the top corporate and individual rates, and without that no one can determine if the bill is good law or bad.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 21:52:45

Keating Five should have resulted in McCain's expulsion from the US Senate. The man left a trail of slime only exceeded by that of the Clintons.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 23:28:46

The Ds keep denouncing the R tax cut bill because the tax cuts on individuals expire in 8 years, but I still haven't heard a single D saying he will vote to make the tax cuts on individuals permanent.

Methinks the Ds are crying crocodile tears ---- if they really wanted the tax cuts to be permanent they would say so and pledge to vote to make them permanent.

The Ds say OH its soooooo sad the R tax cuts end after 8 years----but don't expect them to vote to make the tax cuts permanent.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 17:35:15

Nice Puff Piece on Kamala Harris and the likelihood of her being the D nominee for Prez in 2020 just came out in Vogue

kamala-harris-interview-vogue-april-2018

Kamala is both black and female. That makes her both the new Obama AND the new Hillary. The Ds don't have any other black and female candidates that can unite the two wings of the D party and WIN in 2020--Kamala is IT!

She's even got a funny name like Obama. Its a natural.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 18:25:04

There is not an illegal she doesn't love or a gun she doesn't hate. I welcome Kamala Harris to be the new face of the Democrat party.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 06:22:45

Harris has a very good chance. For one thing she is not over seventy and going senile.
What is going to complicate things for the Democrat nominee regardless of who it turns out to be will be the election this fall and the actions of the house afterwards.
If I had to bet the rent today I'd place it on a Dem landslide this fall with impeachment hearings shortly after and chaos for the next two years. Fifty-fifty on whither it will be Trump or Pence in office in 2020 and even less sure about their ability to gain the GOP nomination. I don't think either one could win the New Hampshire primary at this point given any competent competition.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 07:59:27

Harris is a left wing loon from California. Extreme doesn't come close to describing her. That may play in California and New York but it won't play in fly-over country.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 09:08:05

Obama was it, the extreme Left Wing candidate for the Millennial generation. Now only Conservatives will be electable until at least the 2030s. Better find one in todays Democratic Party, or see it fade further from the national scene.

The political pendulam swings left-right, right-left, approximately once per decade. At the present time, it's traveling to the right, and Trump is too flaming Liberal to satisfy the voters. If he's not the Candidate in 2020, it will be because enough people recognized this.

Don't mistake Trump for a Conservative. He is a Populist.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 13:24:54

I think that the Democrats need to FINALLY start thinking long term and getting young candidates for office.

It is WAY too early to start thinking of who will be President. The Republicans never did that. They knew how to gain strength from starting at the local level. There is no MESSIAH, so get over it!

Obama was a social liberal ONLY and that was the end of that. Yeah, it is a failed strategy to ram social change upon the population. But, it will happen when the time is right, when the people rise up. First, get control of the f**king organs of government before preceeding to ram social change upon the masses, you stupid Democrats ;-) Second, the people will rise up against the wealthy interests of the DNC as well, and the sooner that happens the better off the Democratic party will be.

The Democrats need a message. What message did they have the last time? Stronger together! What bullshit. It wasn't true.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 06:49:24

The Democrats have strong majorities in all the Federal and many state bureaucracies. That is one of the reasons Trump is having such a chaotic time trying to change things. The underlings keep sabotaging his efforts.
They will probably retake power in the next two years including the white house.
But the K street money will still have the real control as the Democrats are just as addicted to it as the Republicans are.
So enjoy your tax cuts now, They are not going to last. :x
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 15:41:22

vtsnowedin wrote:The Democrats have strong majorities in all the Federal and many state bureaucracies.

Uh no they don't. Look at a map of the states and see who owns majorities in state houses, senates, and the governorships. Its not Democrats. Also who controls the federal House, Senate, and Executive right now? Its not the Democrat party.

Republicans now control both legislative chambers in 32 states, up from 30 before last election. In 26 states, Republicans control house, senate, and executive branch.

The 2017 state legislative sessions began with six Democratic trifectas, 25 Republican trifectas, and 19 states under divided government.

Now if you are a coastal Democrat you don't understand all that and its irrelevant to you. But its very relevant to us fly-over citizens.

Here is a nice little link to inform you of who controls at the state level. I would not take a lot of comfort in this if I were a Democrat.

https://ballotpedia.org/State_government_trifectas
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 18:43:38

Cog wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:The Democrats have strong majorities in all the Federal and many state bureaucracies.

Uh no they don't. Look at a map of the states and see who owns majorities in state houses, senates, and the governorships. Its not Democrats. Also who controls the federal House, Senate, and Executive right now? Its not the Democrat party.

Republicans now control both legislative chambers in 32 states, up from 30 before last election. In 26 states, Republicans control house, senate, and executive branch.

The 2017 state legislative sessions began with six Democratic trifectas, 25 Republican trifectas, and 19 states under divided government.

Now if you are a coastal Democrat you don't understand all that and its irrelevant to you. But its very relevant to us fly-over citizens.

Here is a nice little link to inform you of who controls at the state level. I would not take a lot of comfort in this if I were a Democrat.

https://ballotpedia.org/State_government_trifectas

You misunderstand my post. The Democratic majority is not in the elected office holders but in the State and Federal employees that stay in place election after election. They don't say it of course but if you want to be fast tracked for promotion you belong to the SEIU union and let everyone think at least you vote Dem every election.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 22:14:54

I did misunderstood your post. My apologies. Government unions bring about a whole host of issues. One of the main ones is when a government union is negotiating pay raises and benefits with the same politicians they are sending campaign contributions to. Which is the reason Illinois has a quarter trillion pension fund obligation and fifteen billion in unpaid bills.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 22 Mar 2018, 08:42:28

Cog wrote:I did misunderstood your post. My apologies. Government unions bring about a whole host of issues. One of the main ones is when a government union is negotiating pay raises and benefits with the same politicians they are sending campaign contributions to. Which is the reason Illinois has a quarter trillion pension fund obligation and fifteen billion in unpaid bills.

But then again look at Wisconsin, things got so bad the taxpayers voted for Scot Walker for governor and then supported him again when the unions tried the recall election route. Unions can be a great thing for a powerless schlub just trying to make a lving, but for government workers they should be illegal from top to bottom including teachers and dog catchers.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion