Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Cost of Complexity

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: The Cost of Complexity

Unread postby GHung » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:40:17

KaiserJeep wrote:These people are already networked. We are communicating on that network because we are part of it too. There is only one difference between having wires in your brain and today. That would be your thumbs are no longer needed to communicate using a phone, nor a keyboard when you sit in front of a classic PC.
The difference is that the direct brain-to-brain is quicker, more effective, and connects you to more people. It is a difference of degree only.

We are communicating on that network because we are part of it too.

Count me out. I prefer human communication; to look into peoples' eyes and hear the nuances in their voices; smell, touch.... in short, to connect on a HUMAN level. Most of that get's lost in any digital conversation, which is why I see folks actually becoming distanced from each other. They prefer the semi-anonymity of the network go-between. Even with things like Skype, it is only a real-time digital facsimile of reality where you see only what people want you to see.. You can keep it. I see nothing useful at all in that sort of evolution. Communicating face to face is hard work, and sometimes risky. But that's the point.

I don't expect you to get that, KJ, but that is the real me. I know, computers are so much safer, eh?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The Cost of Complexity

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:52:28

For goodness sake Kaiser, what is technology but extensions of ourselves and tools for our use. The paradigm shift is committing ourselves to be more loving and caring to each other as one family, the human family. And to be responsible stewards of that which sustains us our planet. But I agree with you that it is not a requisite for the persistence of our species given our level of technology now reached.But it is a requisite for our species to live in harmony with each other and Nature
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion