Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Chinese Oil Bourse Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Why Does China have more tolerance to high oil price?

Unread postby misterno » Sat 05 May 2012, 20:10:02

From the article linked below

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/10/there_w ... n_you.html

We know that the economy fell on its face at $147 per barrel in 2008, and brought growth to a halt in 2011 at $120. The new pain tolerance limit appears to be $90 in the U.S., but $100-110 in China. At the same time, it costs $80-90 to bring a new barrel of supply online from marginal resources such as deepwater, tar sands, and the Arctic.

So why do you think China's pain tolerance limit higher than USA? Given the huge difference in income levels, I think the writer meant to say the other way around. So what do you think?
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Why Does China have more tolerance to high oil price?

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 05 May 2012, 21:10:26

Firstly, what does China pay for oil. Is it necessarily the same as us or do they cut better deals / cheaper prices from Iran or rogue states.

Second.. they drive smaller cars

Third.. still lots of bikes, scooters

Fourth.. I think their gov subsidizes gas prices?

Fifth.. they have a big middle class now that's not so poor, as big as our entire population, 300 million people.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby seenmostofit » Sat 05 May 2012, 21:39:24

pstarr wrote:They don't have the rare luxury of spending a good part of their waking hours stuck in traffic jams?

Oh, they are progressing quite well I think. Beijing is a wonderful place!

seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 06 May 2012, 03:25:15

seenmostofit wrote:
pstarr wrote:They don't have the rare luxury of spending a good part of their waking hours stuck in traffic jams?

Oh, they are progressing quite well I think. Beijing is a wonderful place!

That is the kind of stuff I would have bad dreams about!
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 06 May 2012, 03:28:08

China is mainly coal powered, so less dependent on oil. It's also in their interests that the "the West" is slowed down by high prices, it helps them to consolodate their new position as the "Prime" country in the world.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby FarQ3 » Sun 06 May 2012, 03:30:39

I think China actually pay MORE for oil than the USA as they are importing Tapis and Mid east crudes whereas WTI is among the cheapest crude now. Also Chinas 1.3b people are more used to tighter economic conditions and having to live with less. China's oil use is less than half what the USA uses from memory so the US citizens use way more per head of population.
Oils just aint oils ..... unless you believe the IEA :)
FarQ3
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 06 May 2012, 04:01:24

Sixstrings wrote:Firstly, what does China pay for oil. Is it necessarily the same as us or do they cut better deals / cheaper prices from Iran or rogue states.

Second.. they drive smaller cars

Third.. still lots of bikes, scooters

Fourth.. I think their gov subsidizes gas prices?

Fifth.. they have a big middle class now that's not so poor, as big as our entire population, 300 million people.

How can they have a middle class 0f 300 million with an economy 1/5th your size? Answer/ They don't, it's BFS. Middle class as defined by having running hot/ cold water, lights most of the time, a TV, a scooter and a car which is shared among 5 people and still hardly used. They can do this on $10 a day. Not much more than food stamps in th USA.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 06 May 2012, 08:14:09

IIRC the majority of the oil consumed by PRC is still extracted inside PRC, this makes world price only effect a small portion of their state controlled refinery inputs. If the USA mainly burned 80% of oil from USA and only 20% imported the world price would have a more limited effect on our economy as well.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Sun 06 May 2012, 08:49:29

Even though I predicted last year that the threshold price that stalls the economy would fall from $147 to $120 to $100 I'm not sure it's clear that $90 oil kills the US economy as the article claims.

I'd just point out that the Composite Acquisition Cost paid by US refiners (the average price paid for all oil consumed, foreign and domestic) has been over $100 since March 2011 (except the 2 months last summer it was $97 & $99) and the latest reading as of March is $109.19.

http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/hist/Leaf ... 0____3&f=M

--

But on the original question, the ability to purchase a small amount of oil can have a large positive effect on the lifestyle a persons who previously had no oil. But for a person who consumes a large amount of oil, a small reduction isn't that big an impact. So to the small user each gallon is much more valuable than to the larger consumer.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 06 May 2012, 15:59:37

Pops has nailed the main part, Tanada's point also and another- Public Servants in China get paid peanuts by comparison to those in the west. We all have giant lecherous and expensive bureaucracies. The only way to get rich in China is entrepreneurism, whichever shade of gray.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cog » Sun 06 May 2012, 18:25:21

I think we are seeing a lag effect on the higher oil prices in the US. About six months of lag to my way of thinking. 4th Quarter 2011 GDP came in a 3% and 1st quarter GDP 2012 at 2.2%.

I'm still going to maintain that over $100 oil blended price of WTI and Brent is unsustainable for the US economy. Particularly when other commodity prices like food are increasing rather dramatically. With wages stagnant that will catch up to us sooner rather than later.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 06 May 2012, 20:28:33

pstarr wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:Pops has nailed the main part, Tanada's point also and another- Public Servants in China get paid peanuts by comparison to those in the west. We all have giant lecherous and expensive bureaucracies. The only way to get rich in China is entrepreneurism, whichever shade of gray.

You don't believe the Communist Chinese government is giant, lecherous, and expensive?

:-D I'll bet the average Chinese "Joe rice Bowl" thinks it is.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 06 May 2012, 20:37:25

1/10th the cost per unit of our lechers.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby cephalotus » Mon 07 May 2012, 06:50:09

Because the US has low energy efficency and is used to waste lots of energy for little benefit.

"...Americans use more energy per capita than any other [large] country, and have nothing to show for it..."

http://www.vaclavsmil.com/uploads/smil- ... 201111.pdf

http://www.vaclavsmil.com/wp-content/up ... nology.pdf
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby seenmostofit » Mon 07 May 2012, 07:59:29

cephalotus wrote:
"...Americans use more energy per capita than any other [large] country, and have nothing to show for it..."

Oh, certainly we have something to show for it. A Hummer is certainly something to show for it, and the most powerful military the world has ever seen ain't too bad either.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 May 2012, 15:06:22

seenmostofit wrote:
cephalotus wrote:

Oh, certainly we have something to show for it. A Hummer is certainly something to show for it, and the most powerful military the world has ever seen ain't too bad either.

There are some egregious overstatements in that article but on balance the point is valid. In a perverse way it points to America's strong point. We can cut back by fifty percent and still be living as well as the French and Germans are today. The Europeans have much less left to cut so tightening of oil supplies and credit will hit them first and much harder then the US.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion