Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

strange happenings

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: strange happenings

Unread postby kublikhan » Fri 01 Jan 2021, 01:29:50

Maybe my workaround works because it bypasses CloudFlare's cache:

Understanding and Configuring Cloudflare Page Rules

Cache Level:
Apply custom caching based on the option selected:
Bypass - Cloudflare does not cache.
No Query String - Delivers resources from cache when there is no query string.
Ignore Query String - Delivers the same resource to everyone independent of the query string.
Standard - Caches all static content that has a query string.
Cache Everything - Treats all content as static and caches all file types beyond the Cloudflare default cached content. Respects cache headers from the origin web server unless Edge Cache TTL is also set in the Page Rule. When combined with an Edge Cache TTL > 0, Cache Everything removes cookies from the origin web server response.

Understanding and Configuring Cloudflare Page Rules
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Fri 01 Jan 2021, 08:19:28

Awesome!
You the man! (or, well, you know)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 01 Jan 2021, 21:17:48

kublikhan wrote:Here's my workaround with a few popular board links:

Active Topics
Search
Forum Posts Member View

I also made a bookmark you can click to fix any URL you are on. I tested the bookmark in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge and they all worked fine:
1. Open up the following link: Bookmark URL
2. Copy the text on that page.
3. Bookmark any random page. I put the bookmark on my bookmark bar for easy access.
4. Set the name to: Fix Peakoil.com
5. Set the URL to the text you copied earlier.
6. Save the bookmark.

Now whenever any Peakoil.com page looks messed up click the bookmark "Fix Peakoil.com" and it will be fixed.

Hey it works! For the first time in two weeks the board looks normal to me!
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 01 Jan 2021, 21:54:22

Is there any chance they can get it back to working properly without all that fuss?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 01 Jan 2021, 22:23:44

vtsnowedin wrote:Is there any chance they can get it back to working properly without all that fuss?

I heard back from the owner a couple days ago, he was working on purging cookies to try and get it working but it didn't help. I doubt he has given up as this will drive down membership.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Thu 14 Jan 2021, 10:39:06

I appreciate that the site is a part time hobby but it is still really hard to get around. Even with the work arounds I typically need several attempts to view the latest posts to any particular thread.
People invest some effort to post here, shouldn't be this hard to get this fixed.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 14 Jan 2021, 14:39:30

Pops wrote:I appreciate that the site is a part time hobby but it is still really hard to get around. Even with the work arounds I typically need several attempts to view the latest posts to any particular thread.
People invest some effort to post here, shouldn't be this hard to get this fixed.

I agree but have been informed that the issue is at the Cloudflare level and work arounds are "just temporary" until that gets fixed. I am at the point now where I make a ?1 macro every time I log on so I can edit the URL for every page that pops up wonky and fix it so I can view and respond. I am still getting logged in as at least three other users at least once each visit, Pops, Subjectivist and shoot I forget who the third one is. I figure we are all in the midwest partition of Cloudflare and that is why we are all having issues.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 14 Jan 2021, 22:12:23

I would guess that about 30% of the time when I switch pages I show as logged in as Pops and another 30% of the time I am logged out and it tells me to log in to view the page. This has been going on for four weeks now and while I have gotten used to working around the obstacles it doesn't thrill me. I only visit every few days as a result now.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Mon 18 Jan 2021, 08:46:17

I'm having lots less trouble!
I take it back, LOL
Thank you Dan. anyway
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 22 Jan 2021, 14:06:45

It has been a whole month now and things are only slightly better. I really hope this gets fixed soon because it is annoying enough I am not spending much time here lately.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 23 Jan 2021, 14:17:51

Pops wrote:Strange stuff happening.

As I move from page to page, the system periodically logs me out

A post I made yesterday in "peak oil 2020" doesn't show up when I go to that thread from search—but does when I go there from my profile, "show user posts"

I just read a couple of posts there from Dennis and Tanada but when I go back they are again "gone"

I thought it might be just a delay in Cloudflare updating but not staying logged in is new, the posts showing and then not though is a new one too.

It's your browser cache, I think. Since a recent update, Firefox has had an issue. That same issue could occur in other browsers for various reasons. If you use Firefox, shift and click on the refresh icon at the same time. That will force your cache to refresh. Then you will see the newest version of your page.

I suppose, also, that this issue could interact with Cloudflare. Lately, I've had a lot of the same problems. Refreshing has worked for me, but it can toggle rather than erase the saved version.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Technical Support