Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Should this site be shut down?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Should this site be shut down?

Unread postby GoghGoner » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 08:44:24

Well, looking at a graph of oil production if you subtract US and Iraq, there is a peak. With the US frackers once again being bankrupted, what do you think this graph will do. Will investors have the cash to prop up these companies any more? Have we hit most of the sweet spots with multiple holes? Peak oil is more relevant than ever.

GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 10:28:58

Newfie wrote:ASG,

The world is full of people telling other people what to do with their great ideas.

What is missing is people willing to enact their own great ideas.

Go right ahead.

Well there you go. I give you honest advice and you basically snap back with a defensive insult. Look, if you think the status quo is healthy, that's your prerogative. But really, it doesn't surprise me to see this response because anyone who gave a crap about this forum would have at least freshened up the place long ago in the hopes of attracting new users. Its state reflects the complacency of its owners/managers just as much as the current irrelevance of the peak oil topic.

If I actually thought it was worth the money I'd set up a forum myself. I started thinking about it when dohboi left in a huff as I took that as a real warning sign. It's not rocket-science, really. The domain is the only draw for this place and mostly to the sorts of people that probably shouldn't be given a soapbox.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mousepad » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 13:44:03

asg70 wrote:at least freshened up the place.

why? change doesn't mean better.
Android and microsoft change their shit every few month. That doesn't make it better. It just makes it different, so you have to relearn.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 22:27:44

mousepad wrote:why? change doesn't mean better.

I already explained my rationale. This forum is frozen in time and it shows. It's not just the outdated version of the software. It's the sidebar with personal photos that are all at least a good 10-15 years old. It looks like something that's been on autopilot--which it is. Since you can't read posts anonymously there's really nothing to show unregistered users to give them a reason to join. Therefore first impressions matter. It also doesn't help to have so much tinfoil in the news section (which you CAN see without being a member). I'm not saying an overhaul would suddenly result in a flood of new users but you'd think it would be worth trying just to see what would happen. But there is just this static quality, this inertia, that has been in effect for so many years. I don't know who actually owns this site and the servers but it's kind of a shame because even though the peak oil movement is at a low ebb I'm sure there are other people out there who would be willing to put more effort into this.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 23:15:56

GoghGoner wrote:Well, looking at a graph of oil production if you subtract US and Iraq, there is a peak.

Well, looking at a graph of the historical human world population, if you just eliminate homo sapiens, it's a flat line of zero. :roll:

Why not just discuss oil production on Mars, while you're at it? :!:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby mousepad » Wed 08 Apr 2020, 20:47:49

asg70 wrote:
mousepad wrote:why? change doesn't mean better.

I already explained my rationale. This forum is frozen in time and it shows. It's not just the outdated version of the software. It's the sidebar with personal photos that are all at least a good 10-15 years old. It looks like something that's been on autopilot--which it is.

Yes, but I find it charming. New != better. New <> better. New /= better. You're probably the impatient type, always needing change, always needing something new. Typical city slick. I'm of the slower types. I like consistency.
It's practically family here, now. Everybody knows everybody. I like that.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 08 Apr 2020, 21:32:00

If the site is ever shut down, it will take place not because peak oil is a hoax but the opposite.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 08 Apr 2020, 23:13:27

ralfy wrote:If the site is ever shut down, it will take place not because peak oil is a hoax but the opposite.

Nobody's saying peak oil is a hoax, just a disproven (or at least premature) theory.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 08:19:11

asg70 wrote:
ralfy wrote:If the site is ever shut down, it will take place not because peak oil is a hoax but the opposite.

Nobody's saying peak oil is a hoax, just a disproven (or at least premature) theory.

So you are saying oil is a renewable resource. Nice.

Oh, not disproven just premature, like stocking respirators and ventilators.

There are a class of people who spend significant time in preparation they are called planners.

I guess you would call people who don’t plan knee jerks?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby forbin » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 09:10:13

should this site shut down - no , but it needs a major overhaul

and

"Nobody's saying peak oil is a hoax, just a disproven (or at least premature) theory"

wut ? it's not a theory , in the layman's term , but proven fact for individual oil wells and calculated for entire countries , ergo the World. Getting the timing right is fun as the ex tractable resource base changes with price. It's still finite , like your pint of beer, even if its a Party 7 ...... eheheheh.

people put hang a load of garbage on the words " peak oil" and blather on about it being this or that ..... but it is simply a mathematical point in time , nothing more and nothing less .
forbin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 10:34:23

Forbin,

Exactly. And there is a lot of discussion about when that point in time will occur. And then all the knock off discussions.

And then that brings up other discussions about parallel processes, so the discussion grows.

I find it fascinating to see how difficult that “point in time” is to pin down. How many unseen factors effect it. It has really widened my world view, made more cautious.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 10:44:19

forbin wrote:people put hang a load of garbage on the words " peak oil" and blather on about it being this or that ..... but it is simply a mathematical point in time , nothing more and nothing less .

But that's just it! If peak oil wasn't synonymous with doom nobody would bother talking about it. That's why the traffic on this site cratered. It's the doom that was disproven. How can anyone disagree with this? Sure, you can argue that the doom will happen or that this or that bad thing going in the world should be attributed to peak oil through some roundabout way, but that's all a far cry from what drove traffic on this site back in the day.

Go watch End of Suburbia again. Regular soccer moms broke away from their normalcy to study this topic because they were filled with existential dread. It wasn't just oil geology nerds. It was the fear of doom that did that. That fear is gone.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 11:05:40

asg70 wrote: It was the fear of doom that did that. That fear is gone.

I don't think its gone. I am witnessing it at the moment on a global scale in the exaggerated fear Kudzu Bunnies are having over a pretty weak predator microbe.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 12:15:23

As Heraclitus noted 2600 years ago, "Everything changes."

And this site is no exception. It has changed and evolved as the world has changed and evolved.

Personally, I think this site is a little marvel.

This site has managed to survive when other sites based on the same subject, like the Oil Drum, have died and gone to peak oil heaven.

I think who ever owns this site and the people who moderate it deserve a great deal of credit for keeping this site open and relevant and relatively cordial in this age of social media dysfunction.

Some seem disappointed that this site isn't as big as it used to be. Well....the whole subject of "peak oil" isn't as big as it used to be.

And look on the bright side......this site is almost unique on the internet. We've got a core group of people who live all over the world, and who have been discussing topics together for quite a long time. Thats pretty unique and unusual. If you pay attention you basically "know" who most of the other posters are, and where they're coming from. Thats kind of fun, IMHO.

This place has become almost like a coffee shop where a group of people get together to discuss the the world every morning. I'm curious what Ibon has to say and what's happening in his eco lodge, or what new and exotic port Newfie has sailed into, or what COG has to say to defend Trump this time.

I often laugh when I visit this site, both at the jokes and wit that some posters display and at the silliness that other posters display and Laughter is good.

IMHO this site is unique on the internet. Its not the same as it was 10 years ago.....and thats OK with me. I appreciate this site for what it is now.

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 12:21:03

I totally agree with Plantagenet's comment above. Well said!

Cheers!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sparky » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 12:38:05

Plantagenet ... take a bow !

I'm happy to have come back in those strange time ,
the mad greenies were irritating me !

Now we are facing a very serious economic situation ,crude export will shrink by anything from 10 to 20 %
money for exploration will dry up ,
if thing stabilize , in a few years at least , there will be no oil to fuel the recovery
the answers ...." if there is a market there will be some money " overlook one simple fact
money as we know it might not survive this
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 13:04:27

Great post Plantagent.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Azothius » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 13:29:56

Speaking as someone who has learned a great deal on a variety of issues from the veteran posters here, I highly value this site. It definitely has pointed me in the direction of information I might not have encountered otherwise.

I agree, well said Plantagenet.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 13:45:18

Plant,

I think you tapped a hidden sentiment. Than you.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 14:54:25

Ibon wrote:
asg70 wrote: It was the fear of doom that did that. That fear is gone.

I don't think its gone. I am witnessing it at the moment on a global scale in the exaggerated fear Kudzu Bunnies are having over a pretty weak predator microbe.

Peak oil = doom but not all doom = peak oil.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion