Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Should this site be shut down?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Should this site be shut down?

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 19 Jun 2020, 03:56:59

sparky says,
"but this site is totally loosing focus of what its core purpose is"

It's core purpose is to generate ad revenue. The owners could care less if y'all discuss shale or soccer.

"Yep. Bears stop eating blueberries during the salmon run."

Ya, about that.....

Alaskan grizzly bears choose berries over salmon — thanks to climate change, study finds

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 82367.html

Everything is changing - time for new analogies.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby REAL Green » Sat 20 Jun 2020, 11:53:10

:cry:
FamousDrScanlon wrote:sparky says,

This personality "FamousDrScanlon" has been determined elsewhere to be linked to JuanP. It is disturbing this behavior is drifting over to the moderated side.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 23 Sep 2020, 16:42:47

Elsewhere gCaptain has is maintaining a forum for their own use.

The Owner here writes a very good analysis of why that forum is valuable and why he maintains it even though its a pain in the ass and expensive.

https://gcaptain.com/how-maritime-artic ... d-written/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 10 Oct 2020, 09:38:41

No way this site should be shut down. Half the things I say here would be deleted from any other place I post. I don't have a habit of saying things that ought to be deleted. It's that those other places have ways of thinking into which my thoughts are dangerous. This is a great place to post new ideas and to talk about already existing ones. Maybe there is some looking down at others, but not nearly enough to get people removed.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 10 Oct 2020, 13:45:34

evilgenius wrote:No way this site should be shut down. Half the things I say here would be deleted from any other place I post. I don't have a habit of saying things that ought to be deleted. It's that those other places have ways of thinking into which my thoughts are dangerous. This is a great place to post new ideas and to talk about already existing ones. Maybe there is some looking down at others, but not nearly enough to get people removed.

+1

I hope my grandchildren uncover this site one day after I'm gone. I wonder how hard they will laugh at my ideas. :lol:
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 10 Oct 2020, 17:32:49

Good news, I exchanged messages with the site owner today and the site will remain open for the foreseeable future.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 10 Oct 2020, 21:35:23

Tanada wrote:Good news, I exchanged messages with the site owner today and the site will remain open for the foreseeable future.

Was there the actual possibility that it wouldn't?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 11 Oct 2020, 02:42:01

Tanada wrote:Good news, I exchanged messages with the site owner today and the site will remain open for the foreseeable future.

That is good news. THANKS!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 11 Oct 2020, 05:48:37

I wish the ownership would consider some changes on the news side. A minimum of auto moderation over there would increase the sanity slightly. ID theft and socks are rampant there and this discourages participation. One individual is responsible. It is my feeling many of those attracted to this site start with the news side then move over to the moderated side.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 11 Oct 2020, 13:30:53

Wonder if it would help to set up a NEWS section (not the existing thread) where we would, or could, start a thread on a Front Page News item. We could do that now, maybe if we did it proactively, with a link as the first post on the unmoderated side, it would bring more folks over.

Hard for me to imagine the work required to moderate the open side. It would be like stepping into a nasty divorce between a swingers group. Who did what, and with what, and to whom? 8O
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 11 Oct 2020, 13:42:47

Newfie wrote:Wonder if it would help to set up a NEWS section (not the existing thread) where we would, or could, start a thread on a Front Page News item. We could do that now, maybe if we did it proactively, with a link as the first post on the unmoderated side, it would bring more folks over.

Good idea Newf.

In regards to the news side unmoderated forum, I recommend closing it down mainly because it is an embracement to the great conversations on this side of the forum. Most of the comments there are ugly with no intellectual content. Why have that sort of dirt right bellow this forum distracting from the great comments on this side!!
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 11 Oct 2020, 16:23:31

REAL Green wrote:

I wish the ownership would consider some changes on the news side. A minimum of auto moderation over there would increase the sanity slightly. ID theft and socks are rampant there and this discourages participation. One individual is responsible. It is my feeling many of those attracted to this site start with the news side then move over to the moderated side.

Way back in 2004 when this site opened to the public there was a volunteer news page moderator. She left back around 2009 and nobody ever turned up both willing and able, not to mention trustworthy, to replace her, and the front page has been unmoderated since then.

The fact that moderators and staff have always been unpaid volunteers has put a limit on how attractive the headaches of moderating can be tolerated. That is the burden of keeping the site free for the members, the vast majority of whom are lurkers.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 11 Oct 2020, 17:20:40

Tanada wrote:The fact that moderators and staff have always been unpaid volunteers has put a limit on how attractive the headaches of moderating can be tolerated. That is the burden of keeping the site free for the members, the vast majority of whom are lurkers.

I am wondering if it might be better for site traffic and exposure if the front page became an extension of the members only forum. IOW members could do their traditional commenting as is the case now plus there would be the front page with the news topics where "members only" could comment. I say this because the current front page is being inhabited by squatters not offering any contribution. It is more a place they can feed their desire to broadcast their agenda that is all to often off topic. So what I am proposing is a news page comment section for members only thereby enhancing the topics. I imagine sombody is spending time researching topics for the news page. That effort should result in some quality contributions in the comment part of the news section.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 14 Mar 2021, 08:47:18

Please ignore the OP. He is probably a shill trying to spread disinformation to give the public a false sense of hope. False hope of how peak oil won't cause industrial civilization to collapse.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 15 Mar 2021, 21:34:22

DesuMaiden wrote:Please ignore the OP. He is probably a shill trying to spread disinformation to give the public a false sense of hope. False hope of how peak oil won't cause industrial civilization to collapse.

Did the peak oils claimed cause industrial civilization to collapse? You see any collapse, after the peak oil claims in this century? 2005, 2006, 2008, 2015, and 2018? Yeah..me neither.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 21 Mar 2021, 19:09:14

Peak oil will be admitted within a few months.

I still like to read here, it would be sad if it shut down.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sun 21 Mar 2021, 19:45:53

Rod_Cloutier wrote:Peak oil will be admitted within a few months.

I still like to read here, it would be sad if it shut down.

The commie EV shit is shutting everything down. Its called a liquidity trap.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 21 Mar 2021, 23:41:51

Rod_Cloutier wrote:Peak oil will be admitted within a few months.

Its been admitted all sorts of times since 1990. Hasn't seemed to matter much.

Rod Cloutier wrote:I still like to read here, it would be sad if it shut down.

We just don't talk about all of the old peak oils much, occasionally speculating on the next one or two. There are still plenty of other doomer scenarios to have fun with though.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby _sluimers_ » Sat 07 May 2022, 06:43:24

longpig wrote:It seems this peakoil thing is a load of crap, Western Canadian Select crude is at $5 a barrel, same price for a bigmac meal. WTI $20 same price as in 2002, when was this site started? what about twilight in the desert, is the oil price lower than when this site started up?

And just two years later it sits at $94 and $110.
The only thing that's disappearing are abiotic oil threads, because they make no sense in the tar sands and shale oil era.
_sluimers_
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 07 May 2022, 08:46:00

_sluimers_ wrote:
longpig wrote:It seems this peakoil thing is a load of crap, Western Canadian Select crude is at $5 a barrel, same price for a bigmac meal. WTI $20 same price as in 2002, when was this site started? what about twilight in the desert, is the oil price lower than when this site started up?

And just two years later it sits at $94 and $110.

Indeed. Good thing peak oils have never had the relationship to price that is claimed.

_sluimers wrote:The only thing that's disappearing are abiotic oil threads, because they make no sense in the tar sands and shale oil era.

No need for nonsense when reality works just fine, quite true.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion