Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Server Disk Failure Friday Night

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Server Disk Failure Friday Night

Unread postby admin » Sat 24 Sep 2016, 10:53:21

If you noticed the site has been down last night and this morning, it was due to a disk failure.

It should be fixed now. :-D
admin
l33t
l33t

Re: Server Disk Failure Friday Night

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:10:21

Thanx, wondered f we were under DOS attack again.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Server Disk Failure Friday Night

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 24 Sep 2016, 22:01:32

I suppose this is a stupid question, but I'll ask.

Aren't RAID disks super common now? Wouldn't using them eliminate data loss / downtime from a single disk failure?

I worked in systems support in databases for 19 years, so I know all about what happens when a mainframe DASD device (commonly a pair sharing read/write heads) is renedered "dead" when the wrong part fails. (I'd spend 12 to 48 hours doing emergency recovery stuff without sleep).

Virtualizing that DASD with controllers that made it still look like the same devices to the operating system, but having banks of cheap RAID disks hold the actual data completely changed my work life. If a device failed, a little red light came on, the broken disk in the RAID drawer was replaced, the controller recovered it, and I was never even notified.

Just wondered if the issue was cost, or system compatibility with RAID devices, or something else. With these things continuing to crop up, it must be getting mighty painful for the admins. In my experience, an outfit's DASD may grow old together and rapidly become unreliable (relatively speaking -- i.e. lots of failures compared to what's "normal".

FWIW.

As always, I appreciate the efforts of those who make the data recoveries happen, even if at 9 years into retirement, I'm no longer on the leading edge of what goes on in modern databases.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Technical Support