Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Rural America fades

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Rural America fades

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 06 Dec 2019, 17:14:40

Outcast_Searcher wrote:And yeah, despite all the cries forever about collapse and the end of oil, it's pretty ironic how "the thing" is huge, gas guzzling trucks and SUV's.

Peak oil doom may still be a ways off but I still think anyone who regularly posts here who buys a brand new ICE vehicle is being pretty damn stupid (not to mention unethical considering AGW). Even if you think EVs aren't compelling enough, hang on for the next few years. There will be plenty of big doom-friendly 4x4s soon enough, including Jeep.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 06 Dec 2019, 17:49:54

asg70 wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:And yeah, despite all the cries forever about collapse and the end of oil, it's pretty ironic how "the thing" is huge, gas guzzling trucks and SUV's.

Peak oil doom may still be a ways off but I still think anyone who regularly posts here who buys a brand new ICE vehicle is being pretty damn stupid (not to mention unethical considering AGW). Even if you think EVs aren't compelling enough, hang on for the next few years. There will be plenty of big doom-friendly 4x4s soon enough, including Jeep.

I get you loud and clear re the AGW thing, though I'll point out that buying less, heating less, cooling less, traveling FAR less, etc. (I do all those things) is very likely FAR better for one's overall carbon footprint shrinking than just buying a BEV, and continuing to drive a lot of miles, and do other stuff as per usual.

Re the economics -- when the BEV case gets compelling, then the switch will be massive and rapid, and it will take care of itself. Until then, us, or anyone else just yelling about it isn't going to change the math nor the masses wanting to get the best economic value for their products (as they see it), by and large.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 06 Dec 2019, 19:31:45

1+

buying less, heating less, cooling less, traveling FAR less, etc. (I do all those things) is very likely FAR better for one's overall carbon footprint shrinking than just buying a BEV, and continuing to drive a lot of miles, and do other stuff as per usual.

Doing less requires no capital infrastructure in segment, additional tax dollars, research, or development. It also will reduce the depletion pressures on other resources.

And it immediately available.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 10 Dec 2019, 23:26:56

Cog wrote:Rural America is where I will be living in retirement after selling my home in suburbia. I'm not the only boomer who is doing so.

But not the industrial megafarm kind of rural, right?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 00:38:55

You can google

"rural vs urban" energy consumption

Most suggest that rural is more energy intensive per capita than urban.

If governments ever get serious about CO2 reduction it will mean a carbon tax or something equivalent with a more salable name (eg. : "carbon dividend" or "green incentives"). Whatever they call it, it will not be happy for rural lifestyles.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 03:23:03

Keith_McClary wrote:
Cog wrote:Rural America is where I will be living in retirement after selling my home in suburbia. I'm not the only boomer who is doing so.

But not the industrial megafarm kind of rural, right?

There are many rural areas unsuitable for mega farming due to terrain. But very suitable for hobby farming. Or simply not rubbing elbows with city rats.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 01:39:17

Cog wrote:There are many rural areas unsuitable for mega farming due to terrain. But very suitable for hobby farming. Or simply not rubbing elbows with city rats.

Wiki (Hobby farm) sez:
In the US, as farms grow in size, older farms become less economically viable. Some are purchased and most of the land combined with larger nearby farms, however the large farm has little use for the buildings. These can be sold off with only a building lot of real estate, but are much more saleable if a modest area, 5 to 15 acres (20,000 to 60,000 m²) is sold along with them. These are usually snapped up quickly by people with well-paying city jobs who wish to live in the country, or to retirees
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 07:58:23

My rule of thumb is to look for horses. If you see horses (pets, not draft animals) then you know the area is over priced.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 10:21:21

Keith_McClary wrote:Most suggest that rural is more energy intensive per capita than urban.

If governments ever get serious about CO2 reduction it will mean a carbon tax or something equivalent with a more salable name (eg. : "carbon dividend" or "green incentives"). Whatever they call it, it will not be happy for rural lifestyles.

I would certainly believe that rural living is typically more fossil fuel intensive per capita than urban. The Yellow Jacket protests in France were partly driven by the fact that people living in more rural parts of the country were more adversely affected by increases in the cost of fuel. They had less access to public transit than urban residents and typically had to drive further to get to work. There were also issues of salaries being lower and not keeping up with inflation.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:41:21

I think it’s true that many suburbans have a higher footprint.

But that is not the best way to evaluate.

A rural person living a frugal lifestyle while working a small farm or a wood lot may have a higher foot print than an urban cliff dweller but he is also contributing something positive to the environment.

For example we own 168 acre wood lot we are protecting from clear cutting and development. My next door neighbor clear cut his. That iffsets the equivalent of 44 vehicles from American roads.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to North America Discussion